This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prepar3D v4 installers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DaleMoore View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleMoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prepar3D v4 installers
    Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 2:15pm
Recently upgraded from FSX to P3D V4 and trying to keep addons outside of the sim where ever possible
Really disappointed that Orbx wont install outside yet Angry 
I have  just downloaded, and trying to install JF HS 748 outside  p3d v4,  but the installer fails if I point to my addon airplane folder. It tells me the selected flight simulator is not found at this location.
Its been a while since any other replies to this thread  Anyone else suffering
Dale
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by flyingjunk flyingjunk wrote:

It's frustrating, I know. It's not just Lionheart - A1R Designs installers also don't like going outside the main folder. Some others will but you're on your own providing the addon.xml and updating the addons.cfg to tie everything together. You can get the Lionheart stuff working outside but honestly it's easier to let it go to P3D / SimObjects, as long as you back up the aircraft.cfg and any extra textures so you can pop them back if you have to reinstall.

In the devs' defence these are mostly quick fixes offered for free so we can still use our old stuff in the new sim. Lionheart is pretty good at responding - you can e-mail Bill Ortis his own self: help@lionheartcreations.com    

I'm happy editing an addon.xml  file or tricking the install into installing outside the main directory. But my error is that once I point the install to some other place, I get a "file missing" error and the install will not continue. I tried putting a blank fsx.exe and Prepar3D.exe in my install location but this doesn't work either.

I will try contacting the email address you posted
Ray Fry View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Fry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 6:00pm
There's a freeware Addon Organizer you can get at avsim works with Scenery, aircraft, gauges and more, config and xml files.
Ray Fry. 
flyingjunk View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:17pm
It's frustrating, I know. It's not just Lionheart - A1R Designs installers also don't like going outside the main folder. Some others will but you're on your own providing the addon.xml and updating the addons.cfg to tie everything together. You can get the Lionheart stuff working outside but honestly it's easier to let it go to P3D / SimObjects, as long as you back up the aircraft.cfg and any extra textures so you can pop them back if you have to reinstall.

In the devs' defence these are mostly quick fixes offered for free so we can still use our old stuff in the new sim. Lionheart is pretty good at responding - you can e-mail Bill Ortis his own self: help@lionheartcreations.com    
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:40am
Hang on I got an email from Just Flight to say they have an updated installer for the Quest Kodiak for P3D4.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:56am
Hi,
We are talking about Just Flight installers here. That product and installer is made by Lionheart Creations and not Just Flight. The developer is in control of that installer and would need to modify it to work with the P3Dv4 addons folder. 
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

Quote Well whats the point of giving the option to install in a different location if doing so means the install cannot go ahead.

Nobody said that the installation wouldn't go ahead. The installers will give you the option of either installing to the P3Dv4 directory in the traditional FSX/P3Dv3 way. It also gives you the option of installing outside of the P3Dv4 directory and will configure the sim to automatically find those aircraft. 

I'm telling you the installation will not go ahead

I choose my folder where all my other addons are installed - outside P3D4 main folder.

I get the error that a file is missing and the installation fails - I  cannot continue.
Click OK then I can only click exit.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:02am
Quote Well whats the point of giving the option to install in a different location if doing so means the install cannot go ahead.

Nobody said that the installation wouldn't go ahead. The installers will give you the option of either installing to the P3Dv4 directory in the traditional FSX/P3Dv3 way. It also gives you the option of installing outside of the P3Dv4 directory and will configure the sim to automatically find those aircraft. 
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:56am
Well whats the point of giving the option to install in a different location if doing so means the install cannot go ahead.

What do you think the advantages / disadvantages are?  because as I see it there is only 1 big disadvantage. ie install fails
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:08am
Our latest installers include the option to install either inside or outside of the P3D directory. Both options are included as unfortunately they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 9:51am
The reason this is important is not just because future core sim updates become seamless with the correct method but also because P3Dv4 uses a revised priority model for gauges:

1;  FSX looks first in the aircraft folder, then in the GAUGES folder. Giving primary attention to the one found first, meaning any modified files. As is desired.
2; P3Dv4 looks first in the GAUGES folder then in the aircraft folder. Again gviing priority to the one found first - in this case the GAUGES files always take precedence, meaning modified files are ignored unless they are in the core folder - a bad idea.
3: The EXCEPTION to this is now folders OUTSIDE the core sim folder and accessed by the .xml method whose sub-folders then assume priority.

At this point I dont know whether this also applies to any other files which appear in P3Dv4 sub-folder (Sound, Scenery, Effects etc.) but it would be a Good Idea for Just Flight to get with the program.

Literally.

doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 5:13am
I noticed this as well. I assume I have a similar problem unless my installer is broken.

I downloaded the updated LHC Quest Kodiak installer for P3D4.
I changed path to the same folder where all my other P3D4 add-ons are installed.

I get an error to say a required file is missing

The OP posted this over a month ago so I'm not holding out much hope that my problem gets read either
Simmerhead View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:56pm
Hi! 

I just downloaded and installed the Chipmunk + expansion pack, and was a tad disappointed that the installer didn't follow the recommended install procedure from the Prepar3D dev. team. 

Is there any reason why JustFlight don't use the "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder to install their aircraft? 

By using the Add-ons folder no reinstall is necessary even if the simulator gets reinstalled. It also helps keep the original software folders clean of external files leaving the user more in control over which files are copied where. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic