This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > VC10 Jetliner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ground Handling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ground Handling
    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 1:10pm
I'm having to use a lot of power to move the aircraft on the ground.
Full power to get it moving and 70-85% to keep it moving.
Is this correct?
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 1:15pm
No, most definitely not - should be about 68 to get moving and idle or just above should be enough to keep you moving most of the time. What sim are you using?

jimos87 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimos87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 1:25pm
Actually i am also having this problem.
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 1:45pm
P3Dv4.1
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 1:56pm
I don't have v4 but Martyn does and I think he would have picked up on such a drastic difference in handling! In v3.4, as it loads into the sim with full fuel and passenger load, it starts moving fairly slowly at 65% and is moving at a sensible speed from 68% with the throttles being brought back to prevent excesive speed.

I'm not sure what to suggest at the moment other than to pop a support ticket in so that it's logged and we can investigate further.
Debowing View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
My experience is about 50% to get the aircraft moving, then about 20% to maintain velocity.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:39am
The first versions of Aerosoft's CRJ had a "P3D friction fix".
It is missing from the latest version.
According to their forums, there was a ground friction problem, but the latest P3D v4.1 update is supposed to have fixed the problem.

P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 8:35pm
The response to my support ticket was that 80% power to taxi was normal for the VC10 .
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 1:18am
That's actually a mis-understanding from the support team, they are aware and are looking into it tomorrow to try and work out why there is seemingly a difference between the sims.

To be clear, at heavy weights, 68% should get you moving. Slowly, but moving. You do have to allow for the engines spooling up and also not expect setting 68% to instantly have you taxying - it will get you moving, gradually building the speed to a sensible taxy, at which point you can bring the throttles back somewhat.

At lighter weights, you will not need that rpm and even at idle you may find yourself using the brakes to keep speed in check.

More on this when we have some definite info,
Paul.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 1:48am
Just to show what you should be seeing, this is recorded from P3Dv3.4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dl7e1UEbtk&feature=youtu.be

It is using the default load (full fuel and passengers), as you can see the rpm hits about 67 / 68% briefly and then settles at 65%. The aircraft is moving at a sensible speed.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 12:00pm
Thank you for taking the time to produce the video.
I see what you mean in the video, but weight doesn't seem to come in it. I find the problem just as bad after landing with most of the fuel gone.
Apart from this, this is an excellent aircraft and Iam looking forward to the advanced versions.

Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by petesmiffy petesmiffy wrote:

weight doesn't seem to come in it. I find the problem just as bad after landing with most of the fuel gone.

In v3.4, with full passenger load and the fuel dropped to 30% across all tanks, the aircraft moves off at a comparable rate (possibly slightly faster than in the video) with the throttles at idle. Definitely seems to point to a difference in the way v4 deals with ground handling.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Debowing Debowing wrote:

My experience is about 50% to get the aircraft moving, then about 20% to maintain velocity.

Debo,

The difference you experience is that the figure you are seeing is HPRPM (ie, N2). This is why it is higher than you normally see on an N1 gauge (a la Boeing/Airbus etc). Idle is in the mid-high 50% range (so you won't see it less than that), and to move the aircraft, particularly when heavy, 70-75% initially wouldn't be unusual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic