This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Prepar3D
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photographic Scenery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photographic Scenery
    Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm
Will you be updating your VFR Photographic Scenery for Prepar3d? Neil
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:59pm
You should be able to install the current one fairly easily. Run the installer and install it to a folder somewhere, and then use the Scenery Library to set P3D up to use it. 
It's getting pretty long in the tooth though, almost like its time to start thinking about a new version. Thumbs Up
neilb View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 6:43am
Yea I've done that and it works great, just thought you would maybe do something to improve the graphics.
Christopher Low View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher Low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 8:50am
Quote It's getting pretty long in the tooth though, almost like its time to start thinking about a new version Thumbs Up

That is an interesting comment, Rich. You make it sound like a new version is in development....
neilb View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:13pm
Best scenery in the world you gotta believe it. I can be your beta tester! Neil
Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:23pm
Neilb & Rich.

I have Horizon VFR Photo Scenery GenX vol 1,2 & 3 version 3. I hear it works OK in V4.1. How do I install and set it up so the VFR GenX folder is outside the sim ? My skills at this stuff are limited so a numpty style guide would be welcome !  Same question for UK2000 Airports ?

Thanks.
Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. Dell 32'' 4K Monitor. 2 Lazy Boyz & Lap dancing facilities.
neilb View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:30pm
I'm not sure with horizon but I thin the installation program looks for fsx.exe to install if I remember, it's a while since I used it. maybe you have fsx on your computer if so install it through that that then simply point the scenery library in Prepar to that folder.
Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:22pm
Thanks Neil. I created a new folder on my G: drive where all things flight sim live and named it P3D VFR GenX, I dumped FSX so the Horizon installer placed all the files in there no problem. Is it now a simple case of going into the P3DV4 scenery library, "Add Area" browse to it or enter this, G:\P3D VFR GenX as the new area name ?

Rich, please jump in and let me know how you did it ?

Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. Dell 32'' 4K Monitor. 2 Lazy Boyz & Lap dancing facilities.
neilb View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 6:37am
Good glad it worked. Neil
Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:23am
Hi Neil, not working yet, note my question to you in my last post.

IanHenry View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanHenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:55pm
What you will need to do is install FSX temporarily, install your photo scenery, run FSX then go to C/Program Data/Microsoft/FSX and open the scenery cfg file.
You will find all the entries for your photo scenery at the bottom of the text, there will probably be quite a few, copy those entries.
Then open your P3D scenery cfg file (C/Program Data/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3Dv4) and paste those entries at the end of the text.
You will then need to change the numbers on each entry both the [Area.?] and layer? save it and you are then sorted. I'd make a backup of your Scenery.cfg before I alter it if I was you.
You can now uninstall FSX. 
Simple really.

Ian

Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:40pm
Great, thanks for that Ian. Once I have posted those entries in the P3D cfg file and re-numbered, do I need to make an entry in the P3D Scenery library ? Everything is on my G: drive, a sample entry would be helpful, sorry for the questions but a bit of a beginner at this. My objective is to have my add on scenery outside the sim so it is not disturbed with future updates. Will this method work if I create a stand alone scenery folder outside P3D ?  I will be looking to do the same with my add on aircraft.

Cheers. Tim.

IanHenry View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanHenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:58pm
No Tim, adding the entries into the Scenery.cfg means that you will not have to add them via the Scenery Manager.
I keep my Photo scenery on a different hard drive so that I don't need to re-install it id I re format my computer. I also save a copy of the Scenery.cfg with just a "virgin" copy of P3D and my photo scenery added so that I don't have to go through the re numbering process again (sometimes it doesn't work out like that, the virgin cfg for P3D 4.1 had more entries on it than the virgin version 4.0).

Here's a copy of the last entry for the "virgin" P3Dv4.1 file and the first couple of entries for my photo scenery, notice the two numbers for each entry and as you can see my photo scenery is located on a drive called "F".

If you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask, I'll check back here in a day or two.

Regards,
Ian 

[Area.129]
Title=Bathymetry
Local=Scenery\Bathymetry
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=VFR GenX Vol1 Area1 2.4m Photo Scenery v2.0
Local=F:\Program Files (x86)\Horizon Simulation\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume1\Area1\2.4m Photo
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
[Area.131]
Title=VFR GenX Vol1 Area1 4.8m Mesh v2.0
Local=F:\Program Files (x86)\Horizon Simulation\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume1\Area1\4.8m Mesh
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
ncooper View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:44pm
Hello,
If you make an all in one folder from all the separate folders, you can store the folder anywhere away from the simulator root folder and add the whole of the Horizon range with one library entry.
Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 3:21pm
ncooper, thanks, I had hoped it would be that simple in V4.1, did an experiment with GenX Vol 1, created a folder outside the sim, browsed to it using the AD AREA feature in the library, no joy.
I will try Ian Henry's suggestion and make the entries into the P3D scenery cfg file with re numbering and see how that goes.
neilb View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 9:23am
works alright in mine. Neil
ncooper View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 9:36am
"I had hoped it would be that simple in V4.1"

It really is that simple.
I have placed all the files from all the volumes into one folder, 
I named it Photo England&Wales and added it to the scenery
library.
It is not on the same drive as either FSX or P3D  and can be
added to either in the same way.

Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 2:18pm
Thanks lads, ncooper, according to your screenie there your photo scenery is in your FSX, Add on Scenery, Western Europe file.  Should I try installing mine in FSX, Add On scenery and point the P3D library to that ?
neilb View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 3:39pm
My Farm Strip scenery is just on my ssd drive in a folder called Northern-England then added Justflight's Photographic scenery and I pointed Prepar to them how do I attach a photo? Neil
ncooper View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Busterbvi Busterbvi wrote:

Thanks lads, ncooper, according to your screenie there your photo scenery is in your FSX, Add on Scenery, Western Europe file.  Should I try installing mine in FSX, Add On scenery and point the P3D library to that ?

Hello,
as I mentioned, the photo scenery is not even on the same (G:) drive as the simulators.
Those are folder names that I have assigned.
You can name the folders in any way you wish.
So long as the main photo scenery folder has one folder named scenery inside it, containing all the .bgl files, the scenery library will recognise it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic