This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > L-1011 TriStar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elevator Trim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevator Trim
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
Hey guys

The L1011 is a great plane.But I think that the elevator trim response is way to small
during landing.Any ideas how to improve this?I already modified the elevator trim effectiveness
scalar in the aircraft config but this does not seem to do much.Any help is appreciated!
nfinger View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:40pm
Yes I found the same problem, the only way to overcome this, is to limit flap setting to <22 degrees, once flap setting is greater that this it becomes almost impossible to control elevator. I posted this problem but had no response too.

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31929&title=hard-to-control-vs-with-flaps-extended-past-15deg
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:40pm
Only just seen this and must have missed the original thread - sorry.

It's been a while but from memory, the Tristar has what is called 'Direct Lift Control'.  I think the requirement for this is that the aircraft is set up for landing (gear down,  at a sensible attitude) and then when the last 2 (?) stages of flap are used the elevator control is minimised  (I hesitate to say disconnected ) and the fore / aft movement of the yoke controls the spoilers. The effect is that you control altitude with stick,  pitch having been set previously and maintained by the onboard systems.

It would be worth a quick search on the net for Tristar DLC as the information is out there. It does feel unnatural to begin with but once you are used to it it works quite well.

Cheers,
Paul.
nfinger View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:15pm
Thank you Paul, that explains it. Found an article on this here: http://www.tristar500.net/features.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic