This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC8-60 series horrid FPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugkapitan911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC8-60 series horrid FPS
    Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 11:51pm
 Greetings,

I am going to submit a support ticket, but I do need to vent a bit.

I have the latest DC8 50-70 series downloaded (from JF) and installed on a brand new computer. Here are the specs of this rig:

Corsair Hydro Series Liquid CPU Cooler H60

Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K 4.2 GHz

LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Toshiba 3TB Desktop 7200RPM Internal HD

Corsair Power Supply RMX 850W

Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case

MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 SLI DirectX 12 VR Ready Graphics Card

Windows 10 Home

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCIe 5.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp

The sim I am using is FSX-SE.

On the ground in the 3D cockpit view in the DC8-63, I get FPS in single digits, external view in the upper 20's to 30's on the ground at KMSP. I am using the Flightbeam.net scenery, but that shouldn't make any difference, since with the Aerosoft Airbus bundle and other aircraft, e.g., Captain Sim, I do not have this problem.

I thought this issue was addressed in the latest SP for this aircraft? 

Scott

"Now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"
flugkapitan911 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugkapitan911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:51pm
Problem solved!

At the suggestion of the support team member, Craig, I did an uninstall, downloaded and installed the DC8 50-70 base pack and livery files. Reinstalled everything - and now that horrid frame rate problem is no longer present.

Thank you JF!

Regards,
Scptt
"Now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugkapitan911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:02pm
Well, it was nice while it lasted :-(

Last night made a flight from KORD to KMSY in the DC8-62, no problems with the frames.

This evening I tried a the return route, this time in a DC8-63, the frame rate problem is back. Single digits whilst in the cockpit makes it unusable.

May have to give up on this one.
MaxLegroom View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxLegroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 2:46am
Did you try using the performance configuration tool?  One setting is for higher detail, the other, higher performance.  I had a problem today that seemed memory related, and after a restart and setting the configuration for better performance, didn't have a problem on the short trip I flew.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugkapitan911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 1:57pm
Hi Max,

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, with my computer I really shouldn't have to make any sacrifices. 

From the beginning before the SP's this was an issue with the DC8 50-70 series, seems like it still is an issue for a few (at least for me) after the SP's. I'm not having this problem with the DC8 10-40 series.

As I've stated, this is the only product I'm having issues with.

Guess I'll have to patiently wait for the Aerosoft DC8-50 (which is in pre-beta) to be released.

Regards,
Scott
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
Hi Scott,

Please let Craig know if you haven't already, so he can continue looking into this.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugkapitan911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:49pm
Hi Martyn,

Thank you for the reply.

I have kept the ticket open and been in contact with Simon regarding this.

Cheers,
Scott
Wilhelm View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:05pm
HI all,
yesterday I installed the latest files in a fresh 4.1 P3d installation. On default Airport in Antalya standing at the gate I got 13-31 fps (50 with all other aircraft) with the 73F in performance mode.
System is Core i7@4.8ghz 2x Nvidia GTX980 SLI. Searching what could be wrong I want open the dds files with imagetool from the P3dv4 SDK. Imagetool could not open the files! So I made a test and converted all the dds files with xnconvert to tga and then with imagetool back to dds. Then back in P3dv4 I got stable 50fps (locked). So at least on my PC there seems to be a problem with the textures. Regards

Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugkapitan911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, my FSX-SE has been "Bricked" since the Windows 10 "Fall Creator's" update. Every time I'm in the sim and attempt to open a 2D menu or access the menu bar, the sim locks up with a "Cannot Create Child Window" message. Have to do a warm reboot on the computer to get out of it and back to the desktop.

This is affecting a lot of people from my reading of the forums, but not everyone (simmers with Prepar3d were affected as well). MS did release a "fix" for it last week, but as near as I can tell, it did not work - certainly not for me. Supposedly they are working on another fix...

Not a happy camper,
Scott

Bjoern View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjoern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 1:05am
I sadly have to join in here.

The series 61, 61 early, 63 and 63 CF of the SP3.2 (Install_DC8_50_70_205.exe) release of the DC-8 give me 1 to 5 FPS while in cockpit view. The exterior model is fine.
All other models (53,55,62,73,EC-24) perform nominally, albeit with a hefty framerate hit (-33 to 40%, even in the air) due to the level of detail in the cockpit.

I've tried a redownload and reinstallation, but that didn't help. Switching between "High Performance" and "High Quality" doesn't change anything as this only alters the external model.

Then I've tried to trace down the source for the performance issue. The gauges can be ruled out, because I also get this behavior when I remove all [VCockpitnn] entries from the panel.cfg.
So my conclusion is that this is an error in the cockpit's MDL file.

More bugs, in case Martyn is reading along:

- The navigation lights do not switch off
- There is no avionics master switch (couldn't find any and the manual doesn't mention any)
- No hydraulic brake pressure needle (at least in the 53 and 62 at day)
- No EPR bugs (again, only 53 and 62 models checked)
- No flap indicator needle (only checked the 62)

All this has been reported to Simon in a support ticket.

And is the 62 series supposed to be that powerful? With reasonable throttle settings (~89%), I obtain climb rates in excess of 4000 fpm at MTOW after takeoff. Leveling off at flight level 340, I need to pull the throttles back to 75% to avoid overspeeding - while still at around 320000 pounds gross weight.
I'd expect a fully loaded DC-8 to handle differently. Engines almost redlining, climb rates well below 1000 FPM above FL300 and the necessity to step climb to make it farther up and beyond mach .80.
f16jockey View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f16jockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Bjoern Bjoern wrote:

So my conclusion is that this is an error in the cockpit's MDL file.
All this has been reported to Simon in a support ticket.
I follow your conclusion. There's something wrong with the -61, -61Early and -63 interior models.
It can be fixed by using the -62 interior temporarily. 

Edit model.cfg
[models]
normal=JF_DC-8-61_exterior
interior=..\..\JF_Douglas_DC8-62\model.62\JF_DC-8-62_int
//interior=JF_DC-8-61_int 

Edit aircraft.cfg
[Views]
// eyepoint=78.5,-2.0,4.8
eyepoint=62.7,-2.0,4.8

Did you get a reply to your support ticket ?

Wim

Bjoern View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjoern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by f16jockey f16jockey wrote:

Did you get a reply to your support ticket ?

Yes.

From what I remember, the model and performance issues were noted, but fixing them is very low on JFs priority list.

The issue with non-displaying needles was due to the copy protection clashing with my antivirus program (Antivir).

I've opted for a refund.
f16jockey View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f16jockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Bjoern Bjoern wrote:

From what I remember, the model and performance issues were noted, but fixing them is very low on JFs priority list.
I've opted for a refund.
I've submitted a support ticket as well. 
JF Support couldn't reproduce the problem, my guess is their computer is powerfull enough for not noticing it. So for Just Flight it's non-existant.
And strangely enough I could improve the framerate drops it by making minor adjustments to the [eyepoint] settings.
I'm not a refund guy, still flying the AC on a more-or-less regular basis.

Thanks for the reply.
Wim
Omid View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:23pm
Good day guys
I had this exact same problem with the FPS NOT fixed by several uninstall/install cycles and no solution received from JF after several correspondence.
The problem was to the point that the plane was rendered un-flyable and I was about to ask for a refund.

HOWEVER!
It just occurred to me to disable the Direct X-10 preview in the display settings and this COMPLETELY solved the issue.
Just give it  a try and let us know how you go.
The missing flap indicator needle is persistent though; anyone with a solution?

FSX SP2
Win 10 x64

All the best
Omid
Regards-Omid
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic