This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > C-46 Commando
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C-46. No power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:22pm
The HSI doesn't work like an HSI as far as I can make out. This is being corrected in a future patch I am told
Hangar200 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:19pm
Just flew the military cargo version with the air and cfg file Martyn provided.  Well Done on the flight model.

Yes, JF C-46 is a beast to fly, but I'm thinking that may be like the actual aircraft.  Of note I did not have any trouble making turns as was reported by others.

Basic stick and rudder techniques see to work just fine.  Start a roll into a turn, take a look at the Slip & Turn indicator "Step on the ball" with rudder to center the ball, and it turns just fine.  Does it take a lot of rudder?  Well yes…its a big plane with a lot of torque and momentum…and no hydraulics to help you move that big rudder.  Still I was no where near the rudder pedal stops.  Having to actually use the proper gauges to make a coordinated turn was fun for a change.  

Regarding the mil version autopilot - the elevator on the climb/descend - hold alt gauge, Up - Dn knob is labeled backwards - a simple cockpit texture fix? 

I assume that stuff like the radios with the LED will be fixed.  IMHO, the original (ver 102) one Comm, one NAV and one ADF were perfect for the military versions.  Modern Mode 3 Civilian IFF transponders did not come into being until the 1960's so incorporating it into a 1940's-1950's era aircraft model is unrealistic.  
R/ Hangar 200
garrittpwl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrittpwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:59pm
I too feel like it doesnt turn when banking but will turn on a dime with rudder. This was in v101 with the updated files that Martyn posted here.... 

Check out my obvious bank out of the window, then take a look at that turn indicator lol
Hangar200 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:46pm
The ball is all the way left. Are you stepping on the left rudder? (You should be).

If you are giving it left rudder in that screen shot, then something is wrong.

(I guess I should have asked if you have rudder pedals first)
EDIT: 
OK, now I see what everybody is talking about.  This interim air file is a bit "wonky" when it comes to the rudder - yes, rudder input is required for coordinated turns bit this seems to be a too touchy.  After some practice you can manage to make low AOB coordinated turns so all is not lost.

Also, it is obvious that, at least on the mil versions, the autopilot is not "talking to the rudder"

AP on, Rudder control engaged, Elevator control engaged (and fairly level…did I mention that the UP and DN directions on the elevator/attitude adjustment knob are backwards) - then some wind or whatnot knocks you about a bit and the AP tries to correct - it banks but no rudder - the farther off course, the more you bank.  Same if you change heading wit theAP on and Rudder switch engaged - the plane will bank towards the correct direction, but you need to "step on the ball" until the aircraft reaches the new heading and the wings level out.

BTW, using a button command for Gear Up and another for Gear Down does not change the red gear lever in the cockpit.
R/ Hangar 200
Hangar200 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 2:03am
So…the JF C-46 just got a 90 and PC Pilot Classic Award in the latest PC Pilot.  What version did they test…it sure as heck wasn't 102 or 103!
R/ Hangar 200
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 2:18am
As Martyn commented, the files in that link are WIP just to get you climbing without fear of stalling. To give you an idea of how things currently stand in regards to turning, the vid below is a fully-laden aircraft turning both left and right, initially with no rudder input at all (you can see that it does still turn) and then with a fairly balanced turn flying by the ball.

https://youtu.be/GiJclZqL584
Hangar200 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 3:08am
I couldn't get the video to load - regardless, understand a WIP.  Good to hear the tuning issue has been taken care of.

I think you would agree the SP1 ver 103 many of us downloaded is not a flyable model.  Yet, as near as I can tell (I just checked a few minutes ago) ver 103 is the version currently being sold.

…and PC Aviator just gave this aircraft a very favorable review which will likely prompt many folks to purchase this product…receiving ver 103…which is essentially un-flyable.  

From a business point of view, that may be inviting grave discontentment in the JF and Aeroplane Heaven brands, as I suspect many customers will not find their way to this Forum/Thread to see that a solution is being worked.  Just a thought.

For myself, I understand that this is an unfortunate situation, the likes of which I have never seen before, and that you all are dong your best to quickly remedy the situation.

In the mean time I'll have fun flying ver 102. :)

Cheers and Good Luck!
R/ Hangar 200
Paul K View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

As Martyn commented, the files in that link are WIP just to get you climbing without fear of stalling. To give you an idea of how things currently stand in regards to turning, the vid below is a fully-laden aircraft turning both left and right, initially with no rudder input at all (you can see that it does still turn) and then with a fairly balanced turn flying by the ball.

https://youtu.be/GiJclZqL584

Just watched the video, and the turning looks fine. Airspeed looks healthy too, though I can't see the engine instruments, so I don't know whether they are being thrashed in order to go that fast. Anyway, things look good. Great work so far, gentlemen - I'm optimistic that we'll get the C-46 we want. Smile
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
Just over half throttle, Paul Wink
Paul K View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

Just over half throttle, Paul Wink

In that case, perfect ! Big smile
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Hangar200 Hangar200 wrote:

So…the JF C-46 just got a 90 and PC Pilot Classic Award in the latest PC Pilot.  What version did they test…it sure as heck wasn't 102 or 103!

Yup, this thing's been available for almost three months now, and has gone from being flyable, albeit with some glitches, to a completely unflyable mess. And when I say unflyable, I mean that literally, it got up to a maximum speed of about 54 knots after having rolled down the entire length of the two mile long runway at EGCC, and it wouldn't even lift the tail up at that speed, let alone get into the air. I know the real C-46 had some problems, but actually being able to take off was not among those problems. Exploding into flames once airborne yes, but it could at least fly, whereas frankly, if this simulated one blew up on the runway, it would be a blessing, because at least I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to get it airborne. I've never actually asked Just Flight for a refund on anything, and I've been buying stuff off them for years, but I'm actually considering doing so with this thing if they don't sort it out soon.

The idea that a product such as that is deserving of any kind of award, let alone being referred to as a 'Classic' is laughable and does nothing for the credibility of PC Pilot and it certainly does nothing for the credibility of Just Flight. 
garrittpwl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrittpwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:06pm
For the guys saying that Martyn's update cfg files turn. lmfao. Turn your autopilot on and try the slightest heading change. It will bank the plane HARD but have minimal turning. 

For the guys that want the updated cockpit of 103 but flyable WITH banked turning and updated weight loading points, I'll share my modified version of the CFG. 

I've modified the 101 cfg file with bits from Martyn's 103 cfg to make this thing enjoyable for me.

Download and install the 103 plane and update it with this CFG if you want. idc either way. 

-snip- in lew of know it alls on this forum I've removed the link. PM me if you want to actually enjoy a plane you paid for.
Hangar200 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by garrittpwl garrittpwl wrote:

FTurn your autopilot on and try the slightest heading change. It will bank the plane HARD but have minimal turning. 

Yep - because the rudder is not hooked into the AP as it should be.  And the more off course, the more the plane will bank.  

Still on 102 until they get this mess fixed…and may stay there is the radio change they made to the mil versions stays.
R/ Hangar 200
Hangar200 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Chock Chock wrote:

The idea that a product such as that is deserving of any kind of award, let alone being referred to as a 'Classic' is laughable and does nothing for the credibility of PC Pilot and it certainly does nothing for the credibility of Just Flight. 

They obviously reviewed an earlier version which IMHO is a pretty good airplane (I like 102)…not sure of the Classic Award…maybe it is something that they do for vintage aircraft.

Regardless, I've read the review and it is OK - he obviously missed the mil version Radio bug but other than that…OK

The issue is that ver 103 is the version on the market (as of about 5 seconds ago).  So somebody who just read the review and decided to get the C-46 based on it, is in for a rather rude and disappointing surprise.  That cannot be good for business - for JF or PC Pilot.
R/ Hangar 200
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:23am
As explained above by both myself and Paul, an FDE update is coming soon. I'll post again here when it is available.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 4:42pm
UPDATE: We are currently addressing one final issue and then the updated FDE will be available.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
pnsthomas View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnsthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:40pm
Is not a real update, nothing has change. It won't turn unless alot of rudder is used . Still unflyable
Paul K View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by pnsthomas pnsthomas wrote:

Is not a real update, nothing has change. It won't turn unless alot of rudder is used . Still unflyable

I've installed the FDE update, and it turns normally without any rudder input at all. Something wrong with your set-up,  possibly ?
buckman View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
Dito Tried it and back to 101! Thank god for 101, this version fly's great IMOP.
Cheers
Buckman
Hangar200 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangar200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:50pm
I noted with interest the 11 Nov 17 JF newsletter highlighting the C-46…an aircraft that, as was mentioned above, unflyable.

In the U.S that likely constitutes false advertising (The Federal Trade Commission has an on line consumer compliant form. JF is based in the UK where the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 may apply.

The above info completely factual, I am well within forum decorum guidelines and I am merely providing information, not advocating any course of action.

I see no reason to remove this post but know full well that may happen. :)

Cheers!
R/ Hangar 200
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic