This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > PA-28R Arrow/Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turn and bank indicator during taxi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dikkeduif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn and bank indicator during taxi
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:23pm
Hey,

I just noticed something weird with the turn and bank indicator while taxiing.
It seems the turn indicator is turning left and right when pressing my rudder pedals in that direction. As far as I know we're not in a turn, so only the slip indicator should possibly move left/right. 

Any feedback on this?

Thanks

D
mlb406 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlb406 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:38pm
Dikkeduif,

This feature is realistic. I am a pilot myself and it is even stated in the Pooley's checklist to make sure the DI (Directional Indicator) and the Turn Coordinator move when rudder is applied when taxying. You can see this in pretty much any youtube video of any aeroplane that uses a turn coordinator (unless the instrument's gyro or other parts are stuck!) - take this one as an example. As far as I can tell from the wikipedia page, the reason behind this is that the gyro that operates the instrument simply detects yawing motion, and the yawing force exerted when turning on the ground triggers the same response as it would in the air. 

Regards,

Max
dikkeduif View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dikkeduif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:02pm
Wow I have never noticed this before :) Thanks, I should have looked it up.
Thanks for linking this video. Quite interesting
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic