This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Warrior II: FSX or P3D?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBCM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Warrior II: FSX or P3D?
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:35pm
I received the email for the Warrior II with the discount offer for 
owners of the Arrow III, thank you very much.

But I noticed that the Warrior II has separate product pages for 
FSX and P3D.  

I currently have FSX, but P3Dv4 seems the wave of the future, 
and I plan to upgrade at some point (finances mainly, but I'm 
also waiting on REX and VRS Tacpack).

So the question: will there be an upgrade option for FSX 
Warrior II owners to P3Dv4 , or will FSX owners be required 
to re-purchase the P3D Warrior II at full price if they upgrade
 to P3Dv4 in the future?

Thanks in advance for your reply - Rob
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by BBCM BBCM wrote:

I received the email for the Warrior II with the discount offer for 
owners of the Arrow III, thank you very much.

But I noticed that the Warrior II has separate product pages for 
FSX and P3D.  

I currently have FSX, but P3Dv4 seems the wave of the future, 
and I plan to upgrade at some point (finances mainly, but I'm 
also waiting on REX and VRS Tacpack).

So the question: will there be an upgrade option for FSX 
Warrior II owners to P3Dv4 , or will FSX owners be required 
to re-purchase the P3D Warrior II at full price if they upgrade
 to P3Dv4 in the future?

Thanks in advance for your reply - Rob

Rob

When you come to want to upgrade/change for the other sim please get in touch with our support team and we'll be able to help you out, we'll ensure you don't need to pay full price again.  

I hope that helps.
BBCM View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBCM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 5:18pm
Thanks loads for the reply! Then I'm off to purchase in old fashioned FSX.  

- Rob 
Steve 451 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve 451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 7:06pm
Just downloaded the new Piper PA28. Bit disappointed to see that someone had received a discount on the new PA28 as they had they had previously brought  Piper Arrow 111 which I had.
The main problem I have with the new PA 28 Warrior is the flaps. I have flown 5 different PA28's and all of them when the flaps are deployed have a tendency to rise up which you have to counter with either forward trim or pushing the yolk forward to counter it. This was very well demonstrated in the early flying club PA28 and also the Piper Archer. Sorry guys its not right. Also the acceleration on the runway seems a bit extreme. One second I was looking at the airspeed indicator next it was at 60 knots. 
Any comments?
ady7970 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ady7970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Steve 451 Steve 451 wrote:

Just downloaded the new Piper PA28. Bit disappointed to see that someone had received a discount on the new PA28 as they had they had previously brought  Piper Arrow 111 which I had.
The main problem I have with the new PA 28 Warrior is the flaps. I have flown 5 different PA28's and all of them when the flaps are deployed have a tendency to rise up which you have to counter with either forward trim or pushing the yolk forward to counter it. This was very well demonstrated in the early flying club PA28 and also the Piper Archer. Sorry guys its not right. Also the acceleration on the runway seems a bit extreme. One second I was looking at the airspeed indicator next it was at 60 knots. 
Any comments?

I have found the exact same thing.  I fly these in real life so it's a bit disappointing as the handling is just not right.  Flaps send you into a steep descent, as opposed to increasing lift as they do in real life, the plane accelerates really fast but doesn't want to takeoff without a lot of back pressure on the yoke and it constantly wants to bank to the left at a cruise RMP of 2400 and even during a final approach at much lower RPMs.  I was literally having to keep my calibrated yoke almost half over to the right to compensate.  

The flight dynamics are nowhere near right.  Very disappointing as I've been looking forward to this coming out for a while now and wanted to be able to practice procedures to enhance my real-world flying training.
Steve 451 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve 451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:25am
I'm glad its not only me.
I have had a bit more time to try it this morning. The flap deployment seems to be way out. As I said I have flown 5 different warriors in real life and whilst they all have slightly different tendencies they are all basically the same. I have flown at various speeds in the new FSX version and when the flaps are deployed the nose tips forward, in the real thing when the flaps are deployed the nose rears up and it needs forward pressure on the yoke combined with some forward trim to counter this. Also the acceleration on the runway seems as I said to be way too fast. The old Just Flight Flying Club version seemed to have the flaps and speed about right.
The last point is the sound set. Again the old Flying Club version had the sound right. This one in my opinion is wrong. It does not sound like a 161 hp Lycoming. 
And why did it delete my old Flying Club Version. I have had to delete the new version and re-install the old one.
Please Just Flight get this right, I have waited years for an update. 

Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:52am
Addressing the flaps to start with:
Over the course of the PA28 variants, we have had a total of about 15 PA28 pilots and owners beta testing with us. The flap issue arrived early on, and was discussed quite extensively at the time (the initial Arrow model). The manual is fairly vague on the subject, along the lines of "pitch change with flap extension is small and can easily be held or trimmed out". No direction is given, and talking to the pilot's at the time did not give a unanimous agreement. However, only one went for a pitch upwards so the majority experience won over. I do wonder if possibly the lighter and shorter front end of the Warrior should make a difference. Our Warrior pilot beta testers didn't pick up on this as an issue, though. I do not agree with the comment that they send you into a steep descent - it is designed to be held with the smallest of pulls on the controller (more on that later).

Acceleration and take-off may need to be tweaked, but I find if trimmed correctly it lifts off very easily at roughly the area i would expect on the grass strip I used to fly from (though that was in a Socata Rallye, I freely admit to never having had the chance to fly a Warrior!).

The left turn is another area that has been thoroughly discussed, both behind the scenes and on the forums: as the aircraft has been developed with 'real world coefficients', certain areas of basic MSFS do not always play ball. One of these is the P-factor,  and that in itself appears to be having an overly - strong effect in all areas of flight. The logical option would be to remove it totally, but then you would introduce the problem noted early on in the original Arrow (yes, we tried removing it just to see!) That there is no need for rudder use during any part of the take-off roll! In the real world, any lateral imbalance can be adjusted fixed trim tabs but FS doesn't allow for that unfortunately. For that reason, I have left aileron trim enabled in the fde and provided you have either buttons, keys or an axis set for it you can use it to balance out that left turn effect. The amount you are having to hold your controller over does concern me, though, as similarly to your experience of the pitch with flaps you appear to be seeing g a far more exaggerated effect than should be happening - at all speeds, I can control the left bank with my controller only just out of its centre position.

As always, happy to work with you to improve the product, feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like and we can start going into detail without clogging up the forum and we'll see if we can get it working right for you and hopefully benefit others at the same time.
Cheers,
Paul.
piperpilot View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piperpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:07am
Flaps on all Piper a/c that I have flown are drag flaps that do not increase lift like on Cessna that have Fowler flaps that when lowered increase the wing area hence increasing lift which will give you an upward pitch when lowered
drag flaps will give you a downward pitch when lowered
Steve 451 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve 451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:54am
With the utmost respect.
The 161 PA 28 with the lighter engine certainly does have a nose UP attitude when the flaps are deployed. I have in my time as a PPL Pilot had 3 instructors all of which teach how to either trim forward or push the yolk forward and let the aircraft settle to overcome that initial rise of the nose which is quite pronounced. I was taught by one instructor to deploy the first stage of flaps on the downwind leg at with the speed obviously in the white arc. First stage of flaps down nose goes up. So forward pressure on the yolk and forward trim. Second stage down on base leg not so much upward pressure but still some forward TRIM. Second instructor(different airfield) taught me to deploy 2 stages of flaps together on the base leg. So carb heat on reduce RPM to 1500 hold it in level flight until the speed bleeds away and deploy 2 stages of flaps. Again quite a lot of upward pressure on the nose, compensated by quite a lot of forward pressure on the yolk. Then let the aircraft settle.
I am very surprised that only one of the testers raised this point. Are they all flying the 161 hp model?
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:03am
As I mentioned at the start of my post, this was over the course of the PA28 variants (all sharing the same basic wing.) So you're going from Arrow to Turbo Arrow 3 and 4 to Warrior, with pilots who have time on one or more variant. The only time the flaps issue was raised was once in the initial Arrow development. The Turbo Arrow IV, which has a very different aerodynamic shape thanks to the T-tail, was stated by an owner-pilot to be almost completely neutral on pitch change when flaps were extended. Nothing was raised at all during the work on the Warrior about flap pitch change.
Steve 451 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve 451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:26am
Thanks for the reply Delta558
I think on this one we will beg to differ.
After using the old Flying Club version for so long this new model looks awesome.
Can a tweak be done to change the pitch when the flaps are deployed at some time for those that want to use it. Most who don't fly the PA28 in real life will probably not worry.
For the time being its back to the old version for me.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:35am
It certainly can, I'll drop you a pm later when I have finished work and will sort out the files for you.

Cheers,
Paul.
Steve 451 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve 451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:38am
Thanks Paul,

I do appreciate that.
It will be nice to have a PA28 that looks and fly's right. The old one is a bit dated now. (But still very good!)
By the way I did not experience the drift to the left on my set up as mentioned earlier in this forum. Just normal bit of right rudder needed.
The acceleration on the runway as stated seems a bit quick but the climb out seems to be ok.

Steve
pilot1999 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:51am
Would also like the fixed files regarding flap extension as well. Currently flying a 172R in HK but I'll be finishing off my aussie PPL on a warrior. 

Howard
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 4:08pm

Any comments?

Regarding the discount, if you bought the Arrow from us you should have also received an email from us offering you the same discount.  Did you purchase from us and if so you should have received an email from us offering the discount - did you not get that?
stevieiz View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevieiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:53pm
Purchased this evening. Requiring a repaint. Any recommendations please.
Thanks.
pilot1999 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 4:22am
VH-LXH and VH-FPH from the flying school I fly in?
Steve 451 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve 451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 5:24am
Yes I brought the Arrow from you on the 24th Feb. I received no email. I've even checked my junk mail. Nothing there.
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 10:54am

Yes I brought the Arrow from you on the 24th Feb. I received no email. I've even checked my junk mail. Nothing there.
What is your email address please?  I'll check our customer lists at this end Steve?

Either way if you purchased from us I'll ensure you're refunded the difference.

Let me know.

Regards
Scott Phillips
pilot1999 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 6:25am
Hi guys, note that myself and another user are now liaising with Paul the FDE developer to fine tune and mitigate the issues regarding the warrior FDE, we are both using our real world flying experience to see how the warrior FDE does as fixes come in. Hopefully in future updates these issues will be fixed and we will really end up with the ultimate Piper Warrior for FSX/P3D. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic