This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-6B - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A needed update to correct the DC-6's flaws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Prates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A needed update to correct the DC-6's flaws
    Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:05pm
Hello All,

I just bought this DC-6 and, though I loved the amount of effort that was put into it, I just cannot hold my opinion regarding some of it's most obvious flaws. Above all, it amazes me that so much effort was put into a quasi-perfect plane, and still, some very obvious and obnoxious flaws were just left there, as if they didn't matter or people would just 'disregard' them somehow! I noticed some of the issues below where already mentioned in other topics, but the answers were disappointing, in the lines of "just get over it it, it's not meant to be a 100% faithful simulation". I can't take that: if enough effort was made to sell other two expansion packs with mere paint schemes, couldn't a smaller effort be made to make the plane more flyable? What impresses me is that I see similar complaints regarding other planes (the viscount, for instance), that the developers do not seem to be bothering much about. So I am writing this in the hope someone one from the developer's side is reading, and perhaps will contemplate fixing just tiny, small issues, that keep this great depiction of the DC-6 from being usable!

The issues are:

1 - No supercharger? It is pretty darn disappointing to have dozens of liveries to choose from, but not being able to take them above 12.000 feet. The mixture lever (more on that later) can be reduced to give you somewhat more climbing abilities, but that is merely a workaround and that's not nearly close to how the thing was supposed to work.

2 - The needle where you set the course-keeper autopilot is backwards. If you are facing 0° and directs a turn right, say 30°, it turns left and leaves you facing 330°. Come on!

3 - No DME in the navigation gear, nowhere?

4 - There are four individual RPM switches, but the general lever (that should activate all of them at once) only moves the engine n.1 switch. In another post someone suggested a complicated way to set buttons for them etc. But we shouldn't need to do that: the darn thing should just ... work as it should!

5 - The RMI, where you should be able to select what you want to do with each needle, actually forces you to use ADF in needle one, and VOR in needle two. That's kinda sloppy. Some of vanilla planes are like that in FSX, but some are ok (the caravan for instance) so this is doable, and there are no excuses. I could overlook the way the omnibearing ended up, if at least this (and the course keeper) would work properly.

6 - The mixture lever. It merely gives you an option to set anything between 100% mixture and zero mixture, which is not how it was supposed to work. An 'auto rich' and 'auto lean' settings, as well as a cut-off, were kinda mandatory. I wouldn't even bother too much if the levers didn't perform very realistically, but that thing were you slowly moves it from 89% to 73% to 68% to 56% and so on is unbearable.

What I am trying to say is: why did you put so much effort in doing an almost- excellent plane, just to leave this few (but indispensable) characteristics so sloppily unfinished? They alone can ruin the whole pleasure of flying to anyone but the most casual player!

I am posting this as a warning to future buyers, as well as previous costumers: let's demand our money's worth. if a 10 dollars pack with nothing but repaints can be marketed, I think we are pretty within our rights do demand fixes for those small matters.

Finally, me only complains because me cares. Keep up the good work, just ... you know, deliver it fully please!
CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 8:21am
The Douglas DC-6 was actually Developed by Aeroplane Heaven, for Just Flight.

Great Vintage Propliner !!!

Few flaws, but,,,,,, still very worthy Sim Aircraft.

You'll see from the product page, they list the DC-6 on their Aeroplane Heaven site.

http://www.aeroplaneheaven.com/
Daniel_Prates View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Prates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 1:46pm
Ok! Thanks for the info, that has escaped me.

I'll probably foward my notes to them.

Heck, maybe they even have a patch or something.

D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic