This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > PA-28R Arrow/Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FDE and sound problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FDE and sound problems?
    Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:25pm
Hello,

I've just purchased the new Piper Turbo Arrow III/IV, after I've flown the nice Arrow III for several weeks before.

However I've got problems especially with the Turbo Arrow IV:

1) Flight dynamics:
Is it normal that you reach maximum manifold pressure if your throttle is just a bit more than half forward already?? If yes, does it really have so little power with maximum man press? I can't believe that a turbo version has so little power that it can hardly climb after takeoff. Any other comparable plane - including the non-Turbo Arrow III seems to have a lot more power.
I can also exceed the man press limit (and I can WAYYY exceed it), but even then I've got the feeling it produces too little power.
RPM however reaches its maximum very early.

What's more: the CG seems strange. With only the 2 pilots in the aircraft, I have to trim almost completely up to have any chance to take off, and also to land at the suggested speeds. That seems quite odd. Even with 2 passengers, which should move the CG backwards, it's hardly better.
I remember that some people said the pitch of the real T-tail Arrow also wouldn't be too easy to control, but if it's so extreme, it would hardly be flyable in some situations.

2) The sound doesn't really fit to the engine settings: When RPM reaches its maximum, it sounds as if the engine just begins to rise a little bit. One problem is that engine and prop sounds are not separated (like at many other addon prop aircraft), and the other problem seems to be that the sound doesn't fit to the engine status. That means that you take off at maximum man press AND max RPM, but it sounds way too "low", as if you're on the approach in terms of the engine sound. Only if you push the throttle full forward, which exceeds the limit of the man press by far (problem: see above), it sounds like a real takeoff setting of the engine. And you will lose power with that setting just after liftoff (is it because of exceeding the limits in that case?).

If it is me who does something completely wrong, please let me know. But I've done everything by the checklist and with the experience I've had from all the other many props I've flown (virtually).

Otherwise I think there should be some corrections to the FDE's (pitch control and engine behavoiur) and to the sound. The Turbo Arrow III does all that a little bit better, but by far not as good as the non-Turbo Arrow does meanwhile.

I hope I could describe those problems properly as a non-native English speaker ;-)
Regards,
Dominik
Pat Mussotte View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat Mussotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:25am
Hi DeeJay!
I fully agree with your post concerning the flight dynamics, power, trim settings. I suggest you to open a ticket as I did.

Regards

Pat
XPlane 10.51 & 11- FSW - P3D 3.4 - Windows 10 64 bit, Intel core i7-4720HQ, CPU 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 980M.

Patrick Mussotte
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic