This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > PA-28R Arrow/Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elevator trim slow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevator trim slow
    Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 2:20pm
Small question:

I have setup my trim wheel using FSUIPC.  Trim works fine, but it takes a long time to trim.  I need to use the mouse to trim up and down faster. 
I know this is a "feature" of the electric trim of the real PA28R  (I have flown one myself a couple of hours). In the real aircraft, we would always use our hand to trim as it goes faster.  So from that aspect, the simulation is quite accurate.  However, in a virtual simulator, having always to use the mouse to trim the wheel is just not handy.  Is there any way you could make the simulation a bit less realistic and make te trim wheel react faster to the button control?

Thanks,
Stephane
b1bmsgt View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1bmsgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:08pm
I'll second that!

Russ
Master Sergeant, USAF, Retired
Former T-33A Crew Chief
Former B-1B Crew Chief/Maintenance Expediter
Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:05pm
Firstly, the explanation: Microsoft developed their trim system to give different speeds of trimming dependant upon how long you hold the trim button for: It starts off slowly, speeds up and then goes fairly fast. Unfortunately, the 'fast' setting makes fine control absolutely impossible at the default trim rates (with it taking a matter of one or two seconds to go from one end of the trim range to the other). Again, this is default MS standard.

I have slightly slowed the top end, which has two effects - firstly it makes fine trim reasonably achievable in the fastest movement of the trim. Secondly, as you note, it gives a realistic simulation of the electric trim.

Now to look to the solution: you say you have set your trim wheel using FSUIPC - I just double checked and when I set the elevator trim to an axis (spare slider on my TM Warthog throttle) the trim responds instantly to the axis, overriding the default MS speed. It will go from one extreme to the other as fast as you can move the axis, so I'm not quite sure where you have the problem as you say you set the trim wheel through FSUIPC? It should be the case that if you use the buttons you get realistic speeds but if you use an axis you can go as fast as you like, thus giving the option for either (and the best of both worlds to the most customers).

Cheers,
Paul.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic