Just Flight Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F-Lite
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-10-30 Range?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-10-30 Range?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:12am
According to both Wikipedia and the Air Hauler 2 database, the DC-10-30 should be capable of a range of about 6,000 nm. But in the aircraft config file for the CLS DC-10-30, it says the range is 2,350 nm! That might be about right for the DC-10-10, but surely it's too small for the DC-10-30.

So are long-haul flights possible in the CLS DC-10-30, or do you really have to limit your flights to about 2,300 nm?

Another odd thing I noticed was that the service ceiling in the aircraft config file is stated as 32,700 feet. Yet the real DC-10-30 was able to climb as high as 42,000 feet. So that's rather odd as well. However, my main concern right now is with the range, as I was thinking of flying a CLS DC-10-30 from Auckland to Bangkok in AH 2 (about 5,300 nm), but now I'm worried I'll run out of fuel halfway through (which is all the more problematic as the latest build of AH 2 has disabled automatic refuelling).
Flying Kiwi View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:27pm
Well, I have managed to do the flight, though not without some drama. It's the longest flight I've ever done to date! Took two attempts though. The first time, I set the climb speed to 2000 FPM (which it said to do in the manual, albeit for the tutorial flight over a much shorter distance). This resulted in a stall, even though my flaps and landing gear were up, and the autothrottle and autopilot were on. The AT was set to 210 or 230 I think. Somehow the plane got into an attitude that was way too nose-up and slowed to stalling speed (which is quite high when the thing is chocka full of fuel). I was 100 feet from smashing into Manukau Harbour (or possibly a beach or seaside suburb) when I managed to exit P3D.

Starting over, I set my initial climb speed to 1200 FPM this time. This seemed to work much better. I eventually increased it to 1500 FPM once stabilised in a climb on and course, and this appeared to be quite a comfortable climb rate. My chosen cruising altitude was 30,000 feet.

The FMC on this aircraft has a very handy fuel predictor, which ominously showed me negative numbers at Bangkok (in other words, I would be well and truly out of fuel by then). So although the manual and aircraft config file recommend a standard cruising speed of .82 Mach, I slowed to .75 Mach for much of the flight, although once the fuel prediction figures were well into the black, I gradually increased back up to .82M. (I really wanted to complete the flight before my bed time!) The landing was a bit dodgy as I somehow ended up sinking like a stone to 500 feet AGL way too soon! (This was despite using the FMC to calculate the approach speeds, putting the autopilot in APPR mode etc.) But I increased the autothrottle quickly and also disengaged the autopilot, thereby climbing back up a bit. The runway was dead ahead, so I descended back to it, disengaged the autothrottle, threw out some flaps, idled the engines and somehow pulled off a "Greaser" landing on Runway 21L at VTBD. It was a bit long, but with the autobrakes and spoilers, plus immediate application of reverse thrust on touchdown, I slowed very rapidly and still had some runway left when I reached taxiing speed. When I pulled up at my assigned gate and shut down the engines, the amount of fuel left was 603 pounds. So I cut it pretty fine, but I made it!

Incidentally, when I armed the spoilers on finals, they did actually arm and not deploy, so I guess that's another question answered (for the DC-10, at least - still not too sure about the Lockheed L-1011).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic