This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > L-1011 TriStar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arming the Speed Brake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arming the Speed Brake
    Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:39am
Last night while I was preparing to land this plane, I tried to arm the speed brake using Shift + /, as it says to do in the manual. But instead of arming, the speed brake fully deployed! This rapidly resulted in a very bad end to my flight. The aircraft, already quite low and slow as I was trying to configure it and line it up for landing, stalled and went down in a flaming heap.

Tonight I loaded up the same plane and examined the speed brake on the throttle quadrant. I discovered that whether I press / on its own or Shift+/ together, the exact same thing happens: it deploys 100%! Moreover, there doesn't seem to be a specific setting to arm the speed brake (no mark anywhere on the quadrant to indicate that you move the speed brake to that point just to arm it).

So is there another way to arm the speed brake other than using the keyboard? On the CLS DC-10 for example, there is a specific switch that will arm the spoilers. Anything like that in the Lockheed L10-11 Tristar?

A few specifics in case they're relevant: I was flying the INS version of this plane with ATA livery, using Prepar3D 3.4.22 (the latest version, I think), with Windows 10. I was also using Air Hauler 2 at the time (doing a type rating test for a ferry mission, which obviously won't be happening now).

A couple of other odd things I have noticed with this aircraft: when you press B, it sets the altimeter to the default rather than the actual barometric pressure, so you have to manually set the BP to the current value. Also, the interactive checklist shown in the manual is nowhere to be found. When I press the simicon for the checklist, it just brings up the P3D kneeboard. Or is there some other button somewhere that brings up the fully interactive checklist?

My main issue though is with the speed brake. If it just deploys fully rather than merely arming whenever I press Shift+/, it's not much good to me, but if there's some other way it can be armed, please let me know.
ThomasAH View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:50am
Do you use the "/?" key on the main keyboard or the "/" key on the numeric keypad?

Can you verify in the P3D settings that "/" is bound to SPOILERS_TOGGLE (naming in the GUI is a bit different, e.g. "Spoilers On/Off") and Shift-"/" is bound to SPOILERS_ARM_TOGGLE? Maybe configure a different key for SPOILERS_ARM_TOGGLE.
Flying Kiwi View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 12:13pm
I use the / key on the main keyboard. That has always worked before - at least, in FSX. I haven't actually flown that many jets in P3D - been doing more GA planes and turboprops lately. Most of my jet flying has been in FSX, and Shift + / to arm the spoilers has always worked in that, as far as I know.

I have just looked at my P3D button and key settings, which are pretty well identical to my FSX ones. I can verify that Shift + / is set to "Spoilers (arm)", while / on its own is set to "Spoilers (extend/retract)". Yet in this aircraft, both / and Shift + / result in the spoilers extending or retracting! That just should not happen. Likewise, the B key should set the altimeter to current barometric pressure, not the default 29.92 value (I have never encountered that particular issue/quirk in any other aircraft, whether in FSX or P3D). Maybe I could try Shift + / on the numeric keypad instead? I guess Shift + / on the main keyboard is actually "?", but I'm positive it has still worked in FSX.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic