This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > PA-28R Arrow/Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Couple of Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Couple of Questions
    Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:16am
G'Day,

Congrats on the release of the Arrow. Fantastic systems and graphics! Nice work.

I do have a couple of questions for when anyone has a minute:

1) I notice there are no pitch markers on the AH. Typically there is one at 5*, 10* and 15* (often also at 20, 25 and 30 for jets), both up and down. The AH on this aircraft doesn't have any. Was that the case in the model used for this aircraft?

2) I'm getting a "GPS changed. Updating HSI source..." message across the top of my screen. If I switch to either of the GTN units, it goes away. However if I select the Garmin 100, it comes on along with a repetitive "BEEP" that also seems to pause the sim momentarily and it stays going for the duration (it affects the sim such that you can't really fly the airplane with the constant pausing). I did see the comments by one fellow with a similar problem, but my FSUIPC Autosave function is not turned on, nor has it been. I can't find any reference in the manual to this, although I may have passed over it.

3) I'm wondering also if the aircraft used as the model also had the ELT that you used in the FS version? Typically there is a "TEST" position on the ELT switch. Turning it to the "ON" position will set it off, and if it's a 406 MHz beacon, you will get a very nice person from the CAA/DOT/FAA/SAR (any/all of the above) asking you some rather pointed questions about why you are triggering a full blown SAR request while sitting on the ramp at your local, friendly FBO, all nice and safe Wink. Trust me on this. Now, if that is an actual procedure in the UK, then fine, but do that in Canada or the USA, and you'll be shelling out some serious coin after the first warning.

4) The sounds are a bit of an issue with me. There is no pitch change in sound from full power right down to about 15" of manifold pressure, or with a change in the prop setting. I used to set my climb power by ear after takeoff as my eyeballs were generally otherwise occupied looking for tree tops, suicidal birds or cow moose sunning themselves in the shallows (hey, if you spend enough time in the bush.... awww, never mind Confused, best not go there I guess).

Anyway, these are just a few things I noticed on my first flight today. I really do like the airplane. It's a lot of fun to fly!

Glenn
Glenn
verbli View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verbli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:04am
Hi,
I run FSX:SE with FSUIPC on Win 10.

I have the same issue with the GPS'es. (item 2)
I had to uninstall the Flight1 GPS'es to be able to stop the Updating HSI loop.

I also feel the pitch stability is wrong. It almost feels like the first Dove release. A lot of work to keep it level. Hand flying is difficult for me.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:32am
Hi Glenn,

1. Yes, the AH is an exact replica of the one in the real aircraft. 
2. The message appears when the Arrow gauge is trying to select Flight Simulator as the navigation source rather than the GTN 650 or GTN 750. Can you check if you have the latest version of the Flight1 GTN installed?
3. Yes, the ELT is an exact replica of the one in the real aircraft (actually, everything is!). I wouldn't advise moving it to the ON position in real life as you say, but as it serves no purpose in FS we decided to use it as a quick way of opening the refill menu.
4. Thanks for reporting this. We'll ask TSS to take a look.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:34am
Hi Verner,

Can you also check if you have the latest version of the Flight1 GTN?

The FDE was developed with close cooperation from a real world Arrow pilot but I'll ask the FDE developer to look into the pitch issue.

Thanks
Martyn
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
verbli View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verbli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Can you also check if you have the latest version of the Flight1 GTN?

I was on 1.17, I see they are on 1.20 now, so I will reinstall the new version later.
BeaverDriver View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:30pm
Thanks guys. Yeah, my GTN may be an older version. I'll look into that. That's interesting about the AH, I've never seen one without the calibrated pitch markings - never too old to learn ! On the controls sensitivity, I noticed that too, but this is so dependent on one's own controls that I didn't mention it. I think that's something best addressed on an individual basis. I normally change my control sensitivity in the cig file on most aircraft, to be honest, so l'm not sure this is something the developer would want to adjust. The sounds though were my biggest bugaboo, so thanks for looking into that.

Ok, off to go flying again . Many thanks for your time!
Glenn
scottsware View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 5:27pm
I'm running the PA-28R with P3D and FSUIPC. I'm getting the beeping/freezing too.  If I pull the Instrument Panel circuit breaker the beeping stops and the plane is flyable.
scottsware View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 6:11pm
I've found more information on the beeping, at least as it relates to my install. If I toggle the GPS until the F1GTN 650 is displayed the beeping stops and everything works fine. If I uninstall thr F1GTN GPS unit then the sim works fine too. There seems to be some interaction between thr 650 and the built in GPS that causes the beeping and freezing with each beep.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:31pm
That's interesting. I found much the same thing. However, I'm not uninstalling my GTN (I do have a reason for that decision) so I think I'm probably out of luck for using it with the Garmin 100. Appreciate the info. I hope they can get this part fixed.
Glenn
anthonye View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 12:07am
Originally posted by BeaverDriver BeaverDriver wrote:

Thanks guys. Yeah, my GTN may be an older version. I'll look into that. That's interesting about the AH, I've never seen one without the calibrated pitch markings - never too old to learn ! On the controls sensitivity, I noticed that too, but this is so dependent on one's own controls that I didn't mention it. I think that's something best addressed on an individual basis. I normally change my control sensitivity in the cig file on most aircraft, to be honest, so l'm not sure this is something the developer would want to adjust. The sounds though were my biggest bugaboo, so thanks for looking into that.

Ok, off to go flying again . Many thanks for your time!

Hi

You say that you change your  control sensitivity in a cfg file, how is that done, can you explain if it covers the trim as well.

Anthony
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 12:58am
What I do is in the [flight_tuning] section, I will change the control surface effectiveness values so that they cause less of a reaction. So, for instance, I might change the elevator_effectiveness= from 1 to 0.75 or something like that. I may do the same for the aileron and rudder effectiveness values as well. There is a trim effectiveness for each control surface as well. If you want to reduce the effectiveness, make the numbers lower. Be warned though, this can cause the autopilot to not capture headings or courses as well. How much it's affected will depend on how much you reduce the values.

Hope that helps, but as always, BACK UP YOUR CFG FILE BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES!! If something really goes south on you, it's not my fault Wink.

Glenn
Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic