This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ORBX Papua New Guinea in AH?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stearmandriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ORBX Papua New Guinea in AH?
    Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 9:56am
Hi all,

New to AH and I've been having a bunch of fun so far.  I went with the original version so I could import custom scenery, and promptly imported scenery.  My hope was to run a bush operation in PNG, using the two ORBX scenery packs for the region - AYPY and TAP airports, which together add around a dozen little bush strips high in the mountains.  

I understand there have been issues with AH in the past not liking these kinds of strips, but takeoffs and landings from them work fine within AH - no damage received, recognized as the right location etc.  The only problem is, AH seems not to ever generate any jobs to or from these strips.  The only way I was able to test takeoffs and landings from them was to designate one (Tapini) as a base.  I successfully completed outbound and return jobs, no issues.  But none of the other strips seem to have jobs generated, even with the option sliders set as low as possible for "distance" and "strip size".

The common characteristic of all the strips that don't get jobs generated for them is that they don't seem to have any runways recognized within the sim.  I mean the runway is there, you can land on it fine.  It appears as an airport on the sim map, and on the map within AH.  But the runway length shows 0, or where the runway information would be is just blank.  I'm thinking that might be the reason AH won't create jobs to or from?

Curious if anyone else has run into this issue with this scenery, and if there's a known work-around.  I guess my other option is to buy the PacSim "raw grit" package which adds all the same airports.  I have some PacSim pacific islands scenery and love it, but the AK ORBX stuff I have is really in a class of its own, and PNG is gorgeous too.  But I'm open to trying the PacSim PNG stuff too.

Any thoughts are appreciated...  
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 1:55pm
The only way to guarantee jobs to a particular strip is to make it a base.

AH creates jobs randomly to a random base within range of the origin point (depending on your fleet), and based on the options sliders - but that is loosely based on the option sliders, not a 100% given.

So if you have 5 add-on airports out of 2000 in range, it'll be unlikely there will be jobs generated to any of those 5 specifically.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Stearmandriver View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stearmandriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 10:55pm
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yep, that makes sense... but it's kind of conspicuous that these dozen strips don't have any jobs generated to/from, while every single strip surrounding then has at least one. It's an obvious hole on the route map, ya know?

I'm not sure whether these strips are supposed to indicate zero length in the database, or whether my install got corrupted somehow. Can you speak to how AH would treat a zero-length strip? Is this something that would cause it to ignore the strip?

Thanks...
Flyer10 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 10:33am
Those strips probably dont have a runway in the afcad. AH doesn't know a runway is there unless the sim file says it's there.
It's the way orbx created them, they are just textures painted on the mesh and you'll often get damage trying to land on them.
Stearmandriver View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stearmandriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:47am
Yep, you are correct. Half of them had no runway in the AFCAD, and half of them (the ones in the AYPY package) had no AFCAD at all. I fixed all that and finally figured out the final piece of the puzzle: cranking the range in AirHauler "aircraft details" section down to about 80 miles.

I now have an operation of a couple Beavers and a C47 flying a total bush operation to all the bush strips along the Kokoda track and the ones that came with Tapini. I have bases in Kokoda and Ononge and can string together jobs of multiple short flights (like, 10 miles in some cases) that can bridge between those two areas (the strips that come with Tapini, and the ones that come with AYPY).

If you like pure VFR flying down low in rugged mountains and jungle, in and out of some of the most challenging strips ever made for a flight sim, you HAVE to try this area!

The AFCADS are here if anyone's interested:
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=197760
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic