This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

extra traffic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extra traffic
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 6:30am
Hello everyone, just finished a round the world flight landed at Sydney and all of a sudden the whole airport is full suddenly I have all turbo prop aircraft from European low cost airlines to the majors flying Dashs, Fokers, and its not just Sydney, Melbourne is the same as well as Perth and Perth is pretty empty at the best of times so my question is what has caused this I have not done any thing to the files, or do I need to do a compile of the traffic plans or is there a Traffix BGL file out of place or something?
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:47am
Darren,
We need to know a few things.
Have you checked your FSX Airline Traffic Density?
Are you using the default TrafficX BGL file or have you created others?
Are there multiple / duplicate aircraft?
Is there a similar situation at, say, European airports?

I imagine Freddy will come up with a few ideas as well.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 11:39am
No Ray I am using the default Traffic X BGL file airline density is a
%100 I have not created any other BGL files also European airports to se Sky West of Western Australia one of their Fokers 100s at Honolulu
yeah there is some thing wrong.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 12:35pm
Darren,

my default TX AI file is

TrafficX.bgl   dated 18/11/2008 09:23 85,898KB .

Is your file this one?

I personally find a density value of around 65% to be a compromise figure for airline traffic. If I use 100%, most airports get overloaded which also affects frame rates and can also cause FSX to freeze/fail.

I have often found a few 'out-of-place' planes in strange places and often well out of their fuel range. Over the years, I have edited out a lot of these but this work still goes on as I visit different areas of the aviation world.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 1:11pm
Yes that is the file. Every thing up to Yesterday was running good then all of a sudden out of the place planes are every where some how some where a file has gone wrong but I don't know. I might uninstall Traffic X and start again, I have already uninstalled it one and re installed it but it was the same thing. I relly cant be bothered with it at the moment I am getting so pissed of with it you pay for some thing you expect it to work not go through this garbage all the time.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:00pm
Darren, here's some information to help you understand how Traffic X works ...

There is only ONE file that contains the Traffic X AI planes, the "TrafficX.bgl" file.  This file contains all of the AI planes and their schedules, and it is set in concrete ... meaning that once it is compiled, it doesn't change or get updated by the sim in any way.  The only way this file can change is if YOU change it, by adding/editing flight plans and schedules, and then recompiling it.  Because this file is not changed by the sim, what you see on one day, will be exactly the same as what you see the next day ... because it's the same same file, with the same AI planes and the same airlines, that is being loaded in on that first day, and also on the second and subsequent days as well. (To be fair, there is an exception to this rule ... weekly schedules ... where some planes only appear at an airport on a particular day of the week ... but the majority of AI planes are operating on daily schedules ... so what you see on one day will be the same as what you see the next day, and subsequent days, and so on, with the exception of a few weekly scheduled planes.)

In summary, your airports should (essentially) have the same planes and airlines at them, each and every day, because there's only one file, and that file is merely loaded in "as is" and isn't changed by the sim.  Therefore, if you are getting the impression that there's been change, or "something's wrong", because you're seeing different planes and different airlines, then it will likely be because your viewing the (same) airport at different times of the day, and on different days of the week ... in the morning it may look right and have the correct airlines, but in the evening it might be over-crowded and possibly have incorrect airlines.  And, of course, considering that a few of the planes will be operating on weekly schedules, you're also seeing those (or not) if you're viewing the airport on different days.

Trust me, reinstalling Traffic X is not going to "fix" this situation.  It's just going to install the exact same "TrafficX.bgl" file again.  And that's consistent with you having already uninstalled it once and then reinstalling it, and still getting the same thing.

Now, all of that said, the first thing I would suggest is a simple test, to see if you have OTHER AI aircraft appearing at your airports from other sceneries or add-ons that you have installed, or whether your AI comes from Traffic X only ...

Close the sim and then MOVE (do NOT delete; MOVE) the TrafficX.bgl file to your desktop (the file is in your "...\scenery\world\scenery" folder).  Now run the sim.  Do you see AI planes at the airports?  Do this test with your airline traffic density slider set at 100%.  Without the TrafficX.bgl file in the folder and being loaded in to the sim, you should not see AI planes.  If you do, it means some of your AI is coming from other sceneries or add-ons that you have installed.  Once you've done this test, MOVE the TrafficX.bgl file back in to place and run the sim again; you should see the (Traffic X) AI planes back again.

Now, with the TrafficX.bgl file in place, I would recommend setting your airline density slider at 60% to 65% (I concur with Ray - with Traffic X, 60% to 65% is about the right setting for this slider). As Ray said, setting the airline traffic density slider high (90% to 100%) is a recipe for getting overloaded airports.  Not to mention the potential for incorrect airlines appearing at airports where they simply shouldn't be.  It's clear that when they were working on the schedules for Traffic X, Just Flight simply "randomised" them; which makes sense when you consider they had to populate the entire world and that would take ages if they had to do that all manually.  Unfortunately, Just Flight's version of randomness means that you end up with "out-of-place" planes in strange places and often well out of their fuel range (to use Ray's rather apt description).

Like you, I too have seen Australian (Perth based) Sky West Fokker 100s at Honolulu.  (In fact I was simming there, in Hawaii, just two weeks ago.)  And, similar to you, all over the planet, I've seen smaller airports over-populated, usually with incorrect aircraft/airlines, and larger airports under-populated.  Still using Hawaii as an example; Hawaii is so devoid of planes it's laughable, despite being a hub/magnet for international air travel ... not to mention the almost complete lack of Hawaiian airlines domestic aircraft.

Unfortunately, the only real fix for the incorrectness at airports is to not have your airline density slider up too high (set it at, say, 60% to 65%), and to also do as Ray (and I) are doing ... edit out the "incorrect" AI planes and add the "correct" airlines, continuing to do so as you visit different areas of the aviation world.  Even if Just Flight did get everything 100% correct when they released Traffic X, you would still probably have to do this editing and adding anyway as airline schedules change, airlines come and go, and new planes (think 787) make their way in to the world.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:24am
Dareen

I recommend installing the Traffic Toolbox SDK into your FSX. This puts a couple of extra menu items - Traffic Explorer and Traffic Map - into your FSX.

This not only gives you interesting information on what aircraft are appearing in FSX but it will also tell you, for every aircraft that is currently being controlled by FSX, which AI BGL file is the source for that aircraft. It will also show the locations of these files which is really useful when looking for accidentally duplicated files or files that have been installed with some sceneries that are available on the Internet.
So, in my case, a load of aircraft are 'generated' from TrafficX.bgl and others from Traffic-UKmil.bgl or Traffic-NAmerica.bgl, etc which are AI BGL's which I create, using AIFP, for localised traffic in the areas in which I am operating.
If you do this, I am sure you won't regret it. (If you already have these extra commands I apologise but I guess you haven't used Traffic Explorer to look for the cause of your difficulties.)
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:14am
Ok thanks guys for you feed back I have gone through the flight plans of for example Air France Express there is no YMML in their flight plans how ever I see one of their BAE 146's parked at a heavy gate.

Let me explain 2 weeks ago I did a round the world flight, like you Freddie I fly them in real time ifs its a `15 hour fight then I do a 15 hour flight come back and check every hour to make sure the flight is going well, anyway the airports on my sim only had flights that were on Traffic X eg KLM used to come into Sydney with a 747 or same with Melbourne only flights that Traffic X created so my airports were not that crowded so to speak, then all of a sudden when I flew into Sydney all of a sudden I have SAS fokers or British Embers or ATRs and BAE 146s from exotic airlines and I never had that before its liem all of a sudden they have appeared I have looked on the flight plans that Traffic X created like for instance in the KLM plans I don't see YMML at all in the KLM Flight plans I only see one 747 for Sydney but yet how come I see a KLM foker F27 at a heavey gate in Melbourne or a US Air Dash parked at a get in Melbourne or Sydney or any other Australian airport what I am trying to say is this has just happened in Perth I am seeing the default aircraft that comes with FSX, when you mentioned Honolulu yes I agree with you Freddy its laughable that a hub Airport is empty like it is now there is random flights there and I have checked in American flight plans no PHNL in there flight plans but I see an AA F28 parked at the gate in PHNL and I haven't done any plans and yet ages ago the plans I did do for PHNL never worked anyway?
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:59am
Darren,
if your TrafficX.bgl file IS the original one dated 2008, then you must have another AI BGL file somewhere in your 'Active Scenery' folders.

A very simple test -

in FSX\Scenery\World|scenery - rename "TrafficX.bgl" to "TrafficX.bgl.old" - then
re-start FSX at Sydney or wherever. I suggest 'Saveing' a flight in FSX so that you always go back to the same place and time to do this test.

What aircraft do you see now?

If you still see loads of aircraft then you have another AI BGL file somewhere. Best use the SDK method (previously recommended) to find it.
If you no longer have any aircraft then the TrafficX.bgl file cannot be the original.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 12:13pm
well I found the BGL_old file and changed it didn't do a thing I dont think even the SDK method might work, I just cant understand how all of a sudden your airports are flooded with aircraft and I have turn the Traffic slider down to 60% Like I said I looked at the flight plans of those airlines that I mentioned I don't see YMML in their plans but yet I see US Airlines Dash at Melbourne, Delta Connection at Sydney parked in the domestic terminal I had it that Virgin parked at their terminals, Qantas was lined up at their terminals and I had no other aircraft parked there, now all these American and European props park there I mean have you heard of American Eagle at Sydney domestic????
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

well I found the BGL_old file and changed it didn't do a thing I dont think even the SDK method might work, .....

"found the BGL_old file" - I didn't want you to change whatever this file is?

In your \Scenery\World\Scenery folder you should have (along with loads of other default FSX files dated 2006) -
TrafficAircraft._bgl     default FSX AI bgl renamed by TrafficX to stop FSX AI appearing
TrafficBoats.bgl        default FSX boat AI

and TrafficX.bgl                 default TrafficX AI file.

It is this last one that I want you to rename (Freddy also suggested this test). Change it to TrafficX.bgl.old and see what happens in a re-started FSX.

I can assure you that using the SDK as recommended will almost certainly point you in the right direction for solving your issues.

Before we concern ourselves with getting wrong aircraft at wrong locations, we need to find out which AI bgl file is generating these aircraft. Only then will we be able to suggest why this is happening.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:03pm
One very remote possibility that might cause your problems is as follows.
US Airlines Express (USAX) calls up, amongst others, many DASH 8 aircraft. In the USAX.tcc file that creates USAX AI traffic, only the 'generic' aircraft type 'de Havilland Dash 8' is called up and not the 'more specific' 'de Havilland Dash 8 US Air Express'. Normally this should be OK as Traffic X has a database whereby most airliners are 'connected' to the appropriate airline. when the flight plans are compiled by Traffic X, it is supposed to 'look' for the 'more specific' version of the plane so that you get (in this case) only USAX aircraft in the USAX compiled schedule.
It is theoretically possible that, if the aforementioned database has gone wrong, then, when you compile, if any airline calls for a Dash 8, any of the many varieties of Dash 8 will be inserted instead of the required one.
You can see what I am talking about by looking in the Traffic X Flight Plan Editor where you can choose either an "Aircraft Type" or enter an "Aircraft", where the second option allows you to pick an aircraft from a list of aircraft 'operated' by that airline.

This option seems very unlikely but, theoretically I believe it could happen.
As a matter of interest, open Traffic X and go to 'Fleet Database'. Select 'Edit Paint Scheme'. Scroll down the top list until you get to "de Havilland Dash 8 US Air Express". What do you see in the 'Airline / Carrier' box at the bottom? It should be "US Airways Express". If it isn't, then this could be a problem. Also, check that all of the Dash 8 variants have an entry in the 'Airline / Carrier' box that looks correct.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 1:35am
Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

Before we concern ourselves with getting wrong aircraft at wrong locations, we need to find out which AI bgl file is generating these aircraft. Only then will we be able to suggest why this is happening.

I concur.  Help us to help you.  Please do the tests that we've both suggested.  At the moment, we've got nothing to go on.

If you rename or remove the TrafficX.bgl, but you still have traffic, then that gives us a starting point.

You also said "I am seeing the default aircraft that comes with FSX" in one of your posts.  It sounds to me like your sim is loading and running TWO AI traffic files ... the Traffic X traffic file, and some other one.  This is why it is important that you please do the tests that we have asked for.  It will help us to determine if that is true or not and get us that starting point we're looking for.

Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:39am
Hi guys this is what I have got in my scenery/World Scenery folder
TrafficAircraft._bgl
trafficBoats.bgl
tarfficCarriers.bgl
TrafficX.bgl
TrafficX.bgl.old

That's what I have in that folder, out of curiosity last night took a look at Hobart Tasmania every turbo prop and BAE 146 from all over the world was parked there before I only use to get Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin and Impluse there. Does that give you an idea is some thing there that should not be I can even see default aircraft parked at gates also.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 10:10am
I think the problem started when I was flying between Winnipeg and Montreal it was at Montreal when I saw all these aircraft and didn't take any notice until I got back to Sydney, even when I flew into Tokyo I didn't take any notice of an Albanian Airlines Bae 146 there    I did what you said to do changed the TrafficX.bgl.old started the sim and all those small planes parked at the gate. One thing I have noticed is that there are no wide bodies they are all small 146's or turbo props no big jets apart from the airlines that have been programed to fly into there.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 2:55pm
Hi Darren,

your list of AI files says that the default FSX AI should NEVER show up in FSX - BUT you say you can see some of them!
This means that you MUST have a COPY of the file "TrafficAircraft.bgl" somewhere else in your folders. I suspect that you probably have some other files as well - ones that you do not want.

In Windows Explorer, go to the Search window at the top right and type in the name TrafficAircraft.bgl, left mouse click in the main area and see what files and locations are found.

If, as I suspect, there are entries other than \FSX\Scenery\World\scenery then I suggest you navigate to that/those locations and see what is there. Any BGLs with names the same as in the aforementioned location would need to be deleted.

As I have previously recommended, the Traffic Toolbox SDK would allow us to get to this possible solution much quicker than all this messing about.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 3:15pm
Darren

The files you listed - are they the same as these?

trafficaircraft._bgl      31/07/2006   00:05     22615Kb
trafficboats.bgl          01/08/2006   06:34      1784Kb
trafficcarriers.bgl       22/08/2007   17:34           6Kb
trafficX.bgl               18/11/2008    09:23    85898Kb
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 1:55am
TrafficAircraft._bgl
trafficBoats.bgl
trafficCarriers.bgl
TrafficX.bgl ................ ?
TrafficX.bgl.old
........... ?

1)  Is there a reason why you have two TrafficX.bgl files?  Or is that just the way you typed it here?  If you renamed that last one to .old, then it won't load ... but that first one above it will still be loading.

2)  As I've mentioned before, I would still suggest you MOVE the Traffic X AI traffic files to the desktop and run the sim ... in fact, even better, move ALL of these .bgl files to the desktop and run the sim ... and see what happens.  If you still see traffic, then it will confirm what Ray and I suspect ... that you have copies of these files, or other traffic files, somewhere else in your folders ... at which point you can use Windows Explorer, as suggested by Ray, to do a Search at the top right to see if you can find them.

Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Hi Ray, Hi Freddy, yes they are the bgl files I have in that folder and I don't know why I have 2 Trafficx.bgl files, yes Ray the files I listed are the ones that you listed, like I said I don't know why I have TrafficX.bgl and TrafficX.bgl.old ?

Ok I moved the bgl files to the desk top then run the sim the one aircraft I saw was the one that I picked to fly the rest of the airport (Melbourne) was totally empty. So ding that I have removed all those aircraft and now I don't have any aircraft anywhere. So I guess that is a start.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 11:57am
Ok guys problem fixed!!!!!!!!!   Freddy buy moving the bgl files to the desk top that left the airport totally empty, then I put back the files except for 1 traffic.bgl and the trafficCarriers.bgl and it worked I only have the airlines that are ment to be there. I experiment and I put back the trafficCarriers.bgl back into the file started up the sim and all those aircraft were back at the airport, so I took the trafficCarriers.bgl back out and put that back on my desk top and it worked my airports are back to normal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic