This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TrafficX FSX Steam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianroussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TrafficX FSX Steam
    Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:59pm
No traffic is showing? any ideas?
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:56pm
More information is required!

Is this a new installation?
Have you just inserted some 'new' scenery that has an old FS9 AI file?
Did you have AI and it disappeared?
Have you checked your fsx.cfg file for the correct Traffic X entry?

Please help us to help you.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
ianroussel View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianroussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 11:08pm
I have managed to correct the problem by copying the aircraft into the main aircraft folder
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:23am
Then it looks as if your FSX.CFG file is missing the line that tells FSX to look for the Traffic X aircraft.

Under the [Main] section there should be something like the following -

[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\TrafficX

I suggest, (even though you have 'solved' the problem), that you take a look at this.

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianroussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 9:16am
Where is the FSX.CFG housed?
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by ianroussel ianroussel wrote:

Where is the FSX.CFG housed?

On the primary drive - something like -

C:\[user]\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg

Look/search for the 'Appdata' folder, then you will be able to locate it.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 2:14pm
The Steam version has it's own FSX.cfg, which is why the installer hasn't been able to setup traffic for you. If you've already copied the aircraft into the main aircraft folder, you're good to go. 
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 10:10pm
A request to Steam users - can you confirm that there is a config file at the following location -

C:\[user]\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.cfg ?
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianroussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:38pm
Thank you, that worked
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianroussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:41pm
Yes, I can confirm that is the location of the cfg. Typical of MS, most normal people would house the cfg in the program
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianroussel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 11:48pm
One thing I did have to do was convert the traffic bgl to FSX format using a free traffic converter. without it my ai shipping wouldn't show
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

The Steam version has it's own FSX.cfg, which is why the installer hasn't been able to setup traffic for you. If you've already copied the aircraft into the main aircraft folder, you're good to go.

<rant>

Installer program script example (dumbed down to aid reader understanding):

------------------------------
; Update FlightSim CFG file based on FlightSim installed version

if FS version = FSX then update CFG file in <%WindowsApplicationDataFolderCommon%>\\blah\\blah

if FS version = FS-Steam then update CFG file in <%WindowsApplicationDataFolderCommon%>\\blah\\blah

if FS version = FS-P3D then update CFG file in <%WindowsApplicationDataFolderCommon%>\\blah\\blah
------------------------------

There's obviously more scripting required than that, and possibly extra scripting needed to cater for different versions of P3D ... what I've shown here is quite simplistic. But I think I've demonstrated the general idea. Unless there's more to this that I am not aware of, I am surprised that Just Flight have not previously re-compiled their installation program and made that available to distribution outlets. It's not rocket science.

And, I'm sorry ... but telling a user that if they've already copied their aircraft into the main aircraft folder then they're good to go is, in my opinion, not great customer support ... because that's not really the right answer, now is it? The right answer is as per RayM's response where the user should be helped to locate the CFG file, as per their respective sim version, and then modify the [Main] section adding the SimObjectPaths.x=SimObjects\TrafficX line. That's why Microsoft put this section in the CFG file in the first place. Fobbing the user off with an incorrect response like the one quoted above means the user ends up with (potentially duplicated) aircraft files and folders in places where they're not supposed to be, which could possibly result in aircraft appearing in sim menus where they shouldn't; not to mention increasing the chances for a confused and/or broken sim.

</rant>

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 7:17am
Thank you Freddy for taking this that bit further down what should have been the correct JF response to the OP's problem.

Ian,
have you made any changes to the CFG file or are you sticking with the 'moved aircraft' solution?
If you haven't changed the CFG file but are planning to do so (following Freddy's good advice), I would recommend that, as always, before editing the FSX_SE.cfg file, you make a backup copy first.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 7:21am
Originally posted by ianroussel ianroussel wrote:

One thing I did have to do was convert the traffic bgl to FSX format using a free traffic converter. without it my ai shipping wouldn't show

Not sure why you had to do what you described. Which file exactly did you have to convert, and how did you do it?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

Thank you Freddy for taking this that bit further down what should have been the correct JF response to the OP's problem.

Hehe, believe me, I said lots more in my original response, but watered it down before finally posting it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic