This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint Kit
    Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:39pm
On delving into the files in the simobjects/justflight Ai, I have found a paint kit for the de Havilland 400. It has a layered PSD file, which I can open, can some one give me a run through on how to paint my own AI? I know about changing the config files etc, and have attempted a repaint, but the outcome wasn't good! It sort of shows bits of my paint job, but its all over the place and the text is back to front. I converted it to a DDS file for use using  DXTBMP.

Thanks in advance

Steve
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 3:03am
The topic of how to paint AI is not a simple one to answer.  However, don't be discouraged by that statement because there is loads of information on the Internet about how to do it (including some good YouTube videos).

Regarding the backwards text ... AI models are not always the same, meaning that some will require you to paint the text the "correct way", whilst others will require you to paint it "backwards".  As the AI model loads in to FSX, all the various bits and parts of the model get put together and FSX handles the magic (showing the "backwards" text the right way, for example).  So how do you know if you need to paint the text the right way, or backwards? Answer: Just open and look at another paint of that exact same AI aircraft model. If the text is backwards in that repaint, then you should paint the text backwards in YOUR repaint.  And, vice versa, of course.  (I see you have DXTbmp ... just use that program to open up and look at existing paints of AI models.)

I'd suggest you do a Google search and watch a few videos ... that would be easier than people trying to explain here in the forum about AI repaints and how to do them.  Here is one such link to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcGUFPfsF0

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:24am
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

The topic of how to paint AI is not a simple one to answer.  However, don't be discouraged by that statement because there is loads of information on the Internet about how to do it (including some good YouTube videos).

Regarding the backwards text ... AI models are not always the same, meaning that some will require you to paint the text the "correct way", whilst others will require you to paint it "backwards".  As the AI model loads in to FSX, all the various bits and parts of the model get put together and FSX handles the magic (showing the "backwards" text the right way, for example).  So how do you know if you need to paint the text the right way, or backwards? Answer: Just open and look at another paint of that exact same AI aircraft model. If the text is backwards in that repaint, then you should paint the text backwards in YOUR repaint.  And, vice versa, of course.  (I see you have DXTbmp ... just use that program to open up and look at existing paints of AI models.)

I'd suggest you do a Google search and watch a few videos ... that would be easier than people trying to explain here in the forum about AI repaints and how to do them.  Here is one such link to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcGUFPfsF0

Hi Freddy,

I've now got a user aircraft painted, I decided to copy and draw over the top of the DDS file. I use DXTbmp to covert to a bmp file, I then import it into CorelDraw, and draw over the top (draw as opposed to paint (its a vector graphic package)), I then convert back out as a bmp, the using DXTbmp, convert it again to DDS.

I did a quick test this morning and have a relatively good paint job. I now will start putting more detail on the aircraft to bring it up to a more professional standard. Once finished, I'll do the same for an AI aircraft to match my new "fleet"

As for text, lucky for me Corel can flip anything, any which way so that it sorted!!Big smile

Thanks

Steve

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:52pm

You may be doing one too many steps there. Saving, converting, importing, editing, converting back, opening again, converting again, resaving, etc. You are possibly losing image quality and clarity doing some of those steps.

Let me see if I can simplify the process a little for you ...

•     DXTbmp has some menus at the top ... Files, Prefs, Image, Alpha, Preview, and Help.

•     In the Prefs menu, set up Corel as your preferred editor by using the "Select Editor" option and choosing the appropriate Corel EXE program.

•     Now, when you load your image in to DXTbmp, all you will need to do is use the Image menu and choose the "Send to Editor" option ... which will now open Corel for you and load the image in to Corel.

•     Make your changes in Corel and then save them (in Corel). Just hit the SAVE option in Corel (not SAVE AS). You will be saving "norm.bmp". (At this point, after doing the SAVE, I actually CLOSE Corel ... trust me, this helps to avoid confusion later if you need to do more edits; because using the DXTbmp "Send to Editor" option will cause a NEW instance of Corel to open so that you now end up having TWO Corels running at the same time, both showing your aircraft repaint - but which one is the right one to edit?)

•     You will now be sent back to DXTbmp which will still be showing the "unedited" version of the repaint. Use the Image menu again and choose the "Reload after Edit" option ... which will load and display your newly changed repaint (it obviously loads the newly saved "norm.bmp").

•     Now all you need to do is save it by going to the File menu and choosing "Save" (not SAVE AS). Your changes will be saved in the exact same image format as what the original model was using (DDS texture – 24 bit, or whatever), and without any loss of image quality or clarity.

Run FSX and see the results.

Another tip is to KEEP FSX OPEN when doing your repaint. After doing the repaint edits, you can get FSX to "reload" the aircraft and show you the new repaint changes simply by setting the FSX clock backwards or forwards to a time when the aircraft would not be appearing in FSX at the airport you are looking at ... and then immediately setting the clock again forwards or backwards to a time when it WOULD be appearing at the airport you are looking at. Voila, FSX will reload the aircraft from scratch and it will be reloaded with it's newly repainted texture.

However, please note that this FSX reload aircraft trick does not always work and there are times when despite doing this, the new texture is not loaded. I think this occurs when there are many of this aircraft type appearing at the airport, and it is therefore not possible to find a time when the aircraft is not visible in FSX. In that case, you'll need to close and rerun FSX to see your new repaint.

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:18am
Hi Freddy,

Because CorelDraw is a vector graphic package, I have to import the BMP file, it won't open it directly. It may seem a bit long winded, but it works well, and being vector based mean I an edit much better than using a paint package, and the results (so far) are really good.

Steve
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 10:02pm

I gather, therefore, that you do not have CorelPhotopaint? Only CorelDraw?
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 7:37am
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

I gather, therefore, that you do not have CorelPhotopaint? Only CorelDraw?

I have the Corel Suite inc. Photopaint, but prefer to use vector graphics, I use the trace facility in Draw for the BMP file, then use that.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 11:55am
Well, if that is working for you, and you're familiar with it, then keep doing it. Smile
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:30pm
It's all your fault Freddie, you have got me hooked on AI traffic and now painting and it's getting me in trouble with the wife!! 😀😉😉😉
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 8:49pm

Hehe.  Yes, it is indeed addictive, yet fun and rewarding.

Schedules and flight plans are one thing, repaints are another ... but wait until you really begin to understand the full potential of aircraft.cfg files; not to mention working with programs such as EditVoicepack to modify ATC phrases and airline names, and ADE for doing airport editing including parking spot changes. Your whole flight sim world will become more accurate than ever before, and you will have complete control over absolutely every aspect of it. Wink

Tip: All of this is just great ... but unless you can get your wife interested in flying or flight simming, or maybe helping with some repaints or something, then you'll still need to find time to spend with your wife. Smile

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:18pm
Finally got a repaint done, not the best, I've repainted a JustFlightBaE146in Royal Mail Livery. Anyone want a copy?

Steve
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 1:47am
Well done.  Can you post a screenshot?

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 9:22am

Not a very good screenshot, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

Steve
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 11:06pm
Not bad.  I see some orange on the wheels (both front and rear), which is something you can check.  And, based on Google images of other Royal Mail planes, I'd probably do white door frames - the same as the cockpit window frames and/or the Royal Mail logo (or at least a lighter color than what you've got there now in your screenshot) because the doors are a bit hard to see as it is now.  But, other than those minor things, which are really nothing ... it's pretty darn good.

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 7:51pm
I hadn't actually checked for an image of a Royal Mail aircraft, just looked and will update my version to match!

Steve
p.s.
The orange on the wheels are labels that the mechanic forgot to take off the new tyres
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 5:19pm

Not happy with it yet, but it was a quick five minute job.

Steve
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 11:14pm
Ahhh. Now THAT is looking damn close to the Google image pictures ... with the yellow stripe bending back up over the top of the fuselage at the front of the aircraft, the Royal Mail logo on the engines, white door trims (they look much better now), and no orange on the wheels.

Careful, you'll become an expert at this pace.

StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:37am
Got to take the windows off and add RM logo on the sides of the fuselage
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 3:22pm

Done!
StevePH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 3:34pm

Done!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic