This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Electra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Propeller Pitch Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paradoxagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propeller Pitch Question
    Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:10pm
I have a question to the propeller pitch function. When I am at altitude (tested at about 9000ft) and have cruise speed, I reduce the rpm to somewhat about 80% on both engines. Then, the aircraft slows down a bit from 190 mph to around 180 mph.

I don't know if I am getting this right, but I thought this decrease in rpm should change the propeller's position and keep the speed. The FSX Goose, with the same engines, does exactly that. I compared the engine configurations in both aircarft.cfg and these are almost the same (only difference was starter torque).

So I am a bit confused. Should the plane keep it's speed when reducing the rpm (like the goose does) or is that right, that it slows down a bit and I have to compensate by giving more pressure/throttle?

kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 2:48pm
The propeller lever sets the rpm the engine will be governed to run at. It doesn't control airspeed. When you reduce the setting propeller pitch increases to reduce the rpm to the new value. Airspeed will be the result of the current throttle position and rpm. As rpm has reduced airspeed is bound to change.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic