This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > One-Eleven 300/400/500
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autopilot not working for me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joefremont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autopilot not working for me
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 4:51am
Hi JF,
I just got your 1-11 and started my first flight but it did not go well, mainly cause I could not get the autopilot working.  Mainly cause under autopilot I could not get it to turn.  I set the heading, master dial was in heading mode but it still went straight.  What am I doing wrong?
AlexDahl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:03pm
Hi! i had the same problem, but it turned out i had not set this dial correctly:

hope this helps
BobKay View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:34pm
How does one set that dial, though?  I can't figure out how to get it off the "off" position.

AlexDahl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
Left/right mouse click
joefremont View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joefremont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 3:44am
I tried it and it sort of worked, I put it into HDG mode and then after takeoff put the autopilot into heading mode and it responded.  But then I wanted wanted to navigate and I flipped the NAV/GPS switch into GPS mode and turned the autopilot to NAV/LOC mode and nothing, put the little switch into N/L mode and the aircraft turned to due north, not the somewhat southwest direction toward the airport the GPS was tracking.  Then eventually I started playing with the switch to see if I could figure it out but once I turned it to OFF, it would not leave that position until I turned the autopilot off, and since its so small and I had to zoom way in to set it I was then in a very dangerous position as we drifted wildly off course.  JF please fix this so it behaves in a more normal manner, maybe an option to deactivate that little switch and just use the main autopilot mode switch.
TimSim View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 7:21am
I have the same issue. In order to change the autopilot mode it is necessary to change the flight director mode at the attitude indicator. The problem is, once the autopilot is on it overrules the flight director so you cannot change the switch. The only way to get around this is to switch off the autopilot, change the flight director mode, and turn the autopilot back on. Once you do this, the VSI resets to zero so if you are in altitude hold the plane levels off! I have also found that once the VSI is set you cannot change it to increase or reduce the climb without, again, switching the autopilot off and back on again. I need to do some more testing but this doesn't feel right?

I would submit a support ticket but the plane is not in the drop down list yet.
manderson View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:19am
Very reassuring that others are having this same problem; it has been driving me crazy for several days!
I then reverted to David Maltby's ported FS2002 classic and everything worked fine, the autopilot is much easier to read and responds very well to VS inputs. The very early VC is clearer and even includes an altitude selector with warning beep as I am certain the 111 had. As somebody already pointed out the 111-500 used the very different Smiths electronics grafted from the Trident, not just adding an autoland button to the earlier models electronics so has no similarity to 200-400's and even required a separate type rating. I am beginning to wonder why I paid out this money when I already had a superb freeware at hand. I will not bother to obtain the HS748.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:25am
Please submit a support ticket via the One-Eleven support page so that the developer can look into this - http://www.justflight.com/support/one-eleven
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
mante.rm View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mante.rm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
I have the same problem with autopilot does not follow the GPS in the tutorial there is no reference to how to use the GPS    I am disappointed by this product hopefully soon you can get a tutorial
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by mante.rm mante.rm wrote:

I have the same problem with autopilot does not follow the GPS in the tutorial there is no reference to how to use the GPS    I am disappointed by this product hopefully soon you can get a tutorial

I wrote the tutorial flight for this product and flew it several times using the software, so it should definitely work. Please submit a support ticket if it's not working for you.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
mante.rm View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mante.rm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 1:48pm
the tutorial in the manual is insufficient and does not specify how to use GPS but only VOR and NDB
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 3:08pm
The aircraft is designed to be navigated using VORs and NDBs rather than a modern GPS and that is why the tutorial focuses on those navigation methods. 

The quickest method for coupling the autopilot to the GPS is to move the NAV/GPS switch (located above the altimeter) to the GPS position, engage the autopilot and then press Ctrl + N to engage navigation hold mode. If you have contacted the support team then they should be able to provide you with more assistance if required.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
joefremont View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joefremont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

The aircraft is designed to be navigated using VORs and NDBs rather than a modern GPS and that is why the tutorial focuses on those navigation methods. 

The quickest method for coupling the autopilot to the GPS is to move the NAV/GPS switch (located above the altimeter) to the GPS position, engage the autopilot and then press Ctrl + N to engage navigation hold mode. If you have contacted the support team then they should be able to provide you with more assistance if required.
With all due respect, the model has a GPS/Nav switch on the main panel.  If its installed it should work.
TimSim View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:19pm
I too want to fly the 1-11 the old school way, not using the GPS, but the autopilot logic simply does not make sense. Since you mentined the tutorial Martyn, let me give you an example. On page 49 of the tutorial, you wrote re tuning into the Detling VOR "As the HSI deviation needle approaches the centre position, rotate the autopilot function knob to the LOC/VOR position and rotate the flight director mode knob on the attitude indicator to the V/L position". What actually happens is that after setting the autopilot function knob to the LOC?VOR position, the flight director knob cannot be moved, unless you disengage the autopilot. At this point we are climbing towards 10,000 feet on VSI and disengaging the autopilot resets the VSI to Zero. So now I have to dial in the VSI rate of climb while manually trying to stay on course in order to smoothly intercept the Detling radial! If I then want to engage heading hold as I approach the VOR I then have to carry out the whole procedure again.
I will of course submit a support ticket but reading other posts leads me to conclude that I am not alone in experiencing this anomaly. Glad you had a nice uneventful tutorial flight though Martyn ;)
mante.rm View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mante.rm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:27pm
What is writtenis unacceptable giustification then wonder why you put the GPS position This time i JF to disappointer
manderson View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:58pm
From all that is being written it is clear there is a problem here and I am certain our friends at Just Flight will quickly resolve without being swamped by too many support tickets. GPS navigation is not the only problem, it will not track VOR's or ILS.
I also need to clarify my earlier comments on the 500 cockpit. It seems the Trident style cockpit was only used on BEA's 510ED model and that later ones did indeed use a conventional 111 version.
TimSim View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:42pm
Just an update. Starting on the runway with the engines running I did manage to switch from heading to Nav mode on the autopilot and change the flight director setting without having to disengage and re-engage the autopilot. Still unable to change VSI without disengaging altitude hold first. Furthermore when I got close to Schipol the same problem re-occured ie not being able to change the FD from heading mode to NAV mode after changing the autopilot setting. Also not sure if the ILS tracking is quite right but will have to shoot a few more approaches to check.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:06am
Originally posted by mante.rm mante.rm wrote:

What is writtenis unacceptable giustification then wonder why you put the GPS position This time i JF to disappointer

My reply was not an unacceptable justification but an explanation of my choices in writing the tutorial. I'm sorry that you disagree with the choices that I made. If you'd like to use the GPS, simply follow my instructions above.

This isn't a support forum so I'll leave you in the capable hands of our support team who will get back to you all ASAP.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
TimSim View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:09am
I hope my posts are taken as intended, i.e. constructive criticism and not as a negative rant! I actually like the plane and am sure that once the autopilot issues are resolved it will become a regular hack in my virtual fleet. I understand that the purpose of this forum is to compare notes and share tips, experiences etc with other users. I will submit a ticket and eagerly await the patch.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:25am
Thanks Tim. We do appreciate feedback and any issues will definitely be resolved by the developers. We try to offer as much assistance as possible here but these things are more effectively handled via the support team who can devote more time/resources to investigating. The developers are already looking into these reports and any more feedback regarding the autopilot will help with that.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic