This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > TB10 Tobago and TB20 Trinidad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I LOVE the JF TB 20, but.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJJose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I LOVE the JF TB 20, but.....
    Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:58pm
Martyn,

Can you please help me fix some issues that I'm having with the latest version.

1) The latest version starts with flaps down. Is that normal?
2) The TB 20 seems overpowered. Not just in climb, but in cruise in order to stay away from the yellow arc, I have to run at 1800rpm.
3) I'm getting an occasional msvcrt.dll CTD when I load the plane using FSX Acceleration. I've never had such a CTD with any other plane and I have a lot of payware.
4) With this latest version along with the GTN 750, performance degrades significantly after a few minutes of flight. I do not recall this occurring with the last version. I have a feeling it's the weather radar. It happens in bad weather.
5) Looking forward to the addition of dimmers. The VC night lighting can be improved.

I really love the sounds and the way the plane feels and I'm looking forward to any updates.

Thanks.
Jose

bpieke View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:40pm
re 1) the previous version did this as well

re 2) I liked the previous flight model better, and have gone back to it

re 3) I've had the odd CTD when loading the plane, but mostly, no problem  (FSX Accel)

re 4) I have the radar disabled
DJJose View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJJose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 12:23am
I just went back to the previous version. The FD is much better. It's not overpowered and just feels right.

The radar is the unit causing the drops in fps. As soon as it sees echoes the fps drops.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 7:27am
Interesting comments on the TB20 as the patch primarily addressed issues with the TB10 and I don't recall making any changes to either the engine model (other than to remove the turbo entry) or the drag (the two areas which would most noticeably affect performance). I spent a while with our TB20 pilot flying the practise engine failure scenario to get the idle power / drag correct and it achieves all of the height and speed parameters, this has been unchanged since initial release. The only change to the engine should have slowed it down if anything - the removal of the turbocharger (TB21 only, I believe). More noticeable at altitude and with timed climbs, but it shouldn't have you commenting that the previous fde was not overpowered and this one is!

When I finish my shift I will go through the files and compare, see if anything has crept in there that shouldn't be there.

Paul.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:06am
1. The aircraft is initially configured in the 'ready for takeoff' state. If you load the aircraft on the ground then the flaps will be set to the takeoff (mid) position. If you load the aircraft in the air then they should be in the up position.

3. We are looking into that.

4. Do you have Active Sky installed, and does the issue only occur if the Stormscope mode is set to WX?
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
DJJose View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJJose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 9:27am
Paul,

I knew from my 1st flight that something had changed. I prefer the previous version of the TB 20. I have not even tried the TB10. Can I just copy the aircraft.cfg from the old to the new?

I would stick with the previous build for now, but the AP doesn't work and the AP does not follow the GPS 430.

Martyn,

Yes I'm using AS16 and the gauge is on weather.

I'll test in TCAS mode.

Thanks.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:29am
There are 2 files - .air and .cfg - I'd suggest changing the .air file first, that's most likely to be the culprit if there is a change for the time being.
DJJose View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJJose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 11:12am
Thanks. I'll try the .air first.
DJJose View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJJose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 12:20pm
The previous .air file works perfectly. Now the TB20 does not feel overpowered. Thank you.

The AP & GTN 750 combo work well.

Using the Stormscope with a TCAS setting did not reduce performance, but I need to test this afternoon when the weather starts to boil.

This is a special add on. It's my favorite single right now and I have all the A2A GA.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 1:11pm
Thanks for the feedback - I will have a look and see what's happened there.

Paul.
Intrance View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 4:56pm
Yep, something definitely crept in there. I was just doing 140kts in level flight with full RPM and 15" MAP... The TB-20 I flew had trouble reaching that speed with 22"/2200 RPM :P.
bpieke View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 5:42pm
Also have a look at the aircraft.cfg file.. maybe the following lines cause the lack of elevator authority when trying to prevent the aircraft from climbing..

elevator_up_limit       =16.00
elevator_down_limit     =3.00
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:54pm
Maybe they do, but unfortunately they are accurate to the manual:

I recognise that it is very little nose-down authority, but relative to the nose-up it is correct. The aircraft.cfg file was set up as far as possible with absolutes - things that are a definite quantity taken from reliable sources. If anything is to be changed it will be in the .air file, and then it will likely be a balancing act!
bpieke View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 11:27pm
OK - agree that the actual specifications are a useful starting point... hopefully, the air file can be made to work well within those specs..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic