This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > TB10 Tobago and TB20 Trinidad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Climbing after take-off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Climbing after take-off
    Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 11:56pm
To the TB20 pilots out there..

How do you keep the airplane from wanting to climb at 1000+ ft/min after take off and gear up?

Is it a matter of trim, or reducing throttle, or raising the flaps earlier?

I find myself fighting the airplane, pushing the yoke forward and still climbing..
bpieke View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 12:13am
Just flew the TB10, two pilots, 26 gallons of fuel, and the autopilot cannot hold the airplane in ALT mode.. the trim is full forward, and the airplane just wants to climb..

What am I doing wrong?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:51am
Originally posted by bpieke bpieke wrote:

Just flew the TB10, two pilots, 26 gallons of fuel, and the autopilot cannot hold the airplane in ALT mode.. the trim is full forward, and the airplane just wants to climb..

What am I doing wrong?

What is your airspeed and power setting? The autopilot should be capable of maintaining altitude unless a very higher power setting is coupled with a high airspeed (i.e. outside of the green arc), at which point it might run out of available trim authority. 
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 11:48am
On the TB20 question - do you have take-off trim and first stage of flap set? Those are the two which will give you nose-up pitching if incorrectly set. If you have trim set on an axis, make sure you havent disturbed it (i.e. set it back to neutral by a slight adjustment) from the take-off position which is quite far forwards and is set automatically on loading the aircraft.

On the TB10 question - see Martyn's response above. Fuel amount shouldn't affect the AP's ability to hold the aircraft as it hardly affects the longitudinal CG position.

Paul.
Intrance View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 2:46pm
I notice the manual has the normal procedures for Climb as Full Throttle/Full RPM. Most owners and schools I know that use these planes (both TB-10 and -20) will set climb power around 500ft AGL. My former flight school used 25"/2500 RPM for example, with some instructors having a preference for 24/2400 to save a bit of fuel.

Since the last update the performance seems fairly accurate. Still a bit overpowered to what my personal experience was in those planes, but I flew flight school planes with perhaps not the newest engines and such. So I suggest to do something like "airborne, gear up, 300ft, flaps up, 500ft, 25/2500" and see what that gives you.
bpieke View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 10:36pm
Compared to the V2 flight model, this latest (V3) flight model runs out of down trim authority fairly quickly..

Level cruise flight  22"/2200rpm has the trim indicator pegged full forward.
Intrance View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 4:59pm
My previous reply was before checking the TB-20, and as mentioned in the other thread, something must have gone wrong there with the last update. It is way overpowered right now, which is also why you would have trouble with the trim.

The TB-10 seems fairly good now though. But I haven't had too much time with it yet, will check it out a bit later.

Still satisfied overall. Most of my RL single engine piston hours are on TB9/10/20 aircraft, so this was a must buy anyway LOL.
bpieke View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 5:38pm
Going back to the previous air file seems to be the way to go, for now..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic