This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Health Warning...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XXXXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Health Warning...
    Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:51pm
This product should carry an health warning....it kills your Flight Sim enjoyment !!
Yes, lovely pics of pretty planes. Stand at the end of the runway and watch them take off, great !!
But fly for an hour and then when approaching airport... wham, crash AI error and the sim goes down. This happens EVERYTIME I fly in FSX.
I've unistalled, reinstalled, turned down traffic volumes, but it still crashes even at an airport without any AI traffic !! After uninstalling no crashes. !!
I've researched and this appears to be a regular reported problem and I've tried all the fixes. But wait a minute, ifs its a known problem then why aren't the developers doing something about it.
I'm no computer geek, I'm a flight simmer, so its no point in telling me to amend this bgl or try this or that to the inners of FSX.
If the problem is with a bgl files or whatever then the software should reconise there is a problem and stop its process NOT the sim.
If I sound frustrated and angry..I am.
I am 69 year old retired Business system analyst. In my day this software would not have been released until the 'problem' had been fixed.
I have a brand new reasonable high spec system, with no previous traffic addons. Everything else works fine incl all the Orbx scenery packs, A2A C172, Activesky, EZdok and enjoying Frames rates of 60+. Just AI crashes since installing Traffice 360.
If there was an option I would certainly request my money back !

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 3:58am
Originally posted by XXXXX XXXXX wrote:

I am 69 year old retired Business system analyst. In my day this software would not have been released until the 'problem' had been fixed.

As someone who works in IT, in Customer Support no less, and who has been doing it for nearly 20 years now, I have to agree that times have certainly changed. So I completely agree with you and fully understand your frustration.

However, that said, I hate to play devil's advocate here ... but there are not hundreds of users on this and other forums mentioning that Traffic 360 causes their sim to crash. And nor were there back in the day when the program was initially released. With that in mind, I would suggest that your issue is localised. Yes, your testing might certainly indicate that the issue is being caused when you use Traffic 360 ... but that is not to say Traffic 360 is solely to blame for the problem. There's a possibility that it could be due to a combination of things. For example, you may have an airport (either an individual add-on, or part of a fuller scenery package) which attracts a specific AI airline livery ... and that airline livery might be corrupted in some way ... voila, there you have your simulator crash. Remove that airport or scenery, and the "faulty" livery might manage to work OK (say, with the default airports and scenery) meaning that nobody's ever realised it's faulty. So, even though a "faulty" Traffic 360 livery might be the "trigger cause" of the problem, the problem only shows itself when you have that particular airport or scenery loaded. In this scenario, removing Traffic 360 would mean things work ... but, similarly, KEEPING Traffic 360 installed and removing the particular airport or scenery would also mean things work. If no other Traffic 360 user has this particular airport or scenery, then the problem never shows itself.

And I realise I am saying this, even though you confirm in your post that everything works fine for you, including all the ORBX scenery packs, A2A C172, ActiveSky, EZdok, etc, and all whilst enjoying frame rates of 60+. But who's not to say that one of the airports in the ORBX scenery is to blame?

Of course, I am only giving one scenario ... it could well be that you have an unknown corrupted .BGL file in your setup. Nothing to do with your airports or scenery at all. But then, perhaps that .BGL file came bundled with an airport or one of the scenery packages. Without taking the time to run the tests, and looking at the crash logs, you will never know. Should the system recognise that a .BGL file or whatever is the cause and then stop its own process not the sim? Maybe. But if the .BGL triggers a bug in FSX itself, then you're done, regardless. And, depending on many factors, it's not always possible for a program to trap an issue and handle it gracefully ... we call it a "crash" for a reason.

Now, all of that said, I agree with your frustration ... you don't want to be running any of these tests etc and probably feel that you shouldn't have to. As your research shows, users have reported issues such as these but seemingly nothing has been done about them. It is quite annoying indeed. I personally have many complaints about the user interface, and have reported a number of crashes to Just Flight related to me just using the interface. But no fixes have been forthcoming.

Despite all of this, if I was you, I would still try to narrow down the issue. Try keeping Traffic X installed, but turn off the GA traffic and see what happens. Then try turning off the Airliner traffic and see what happens. Try disabling specific scenery in your FSX Scenery library and see what happens. And so on and so forth. As I said, I do realise that you probably don't want to do this stuff and maybe feel that you shouldn't have to ... sure, I get it ... trust me, I do ... but I think if you took the time, and used a process of elimination, you might be able to nail the issue down, resulting in a possibly easy fix (there are some knowledgeable people on these forums who can help with suggestions or solutions). The end result for you, hopefully, would be a happy, enjoyable, AI experience. Of course ultimately, it's up to you.

XXXXX View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XXXXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:15pm
Thanks for your considered reply.
Well after approx 205 hrs 4 mins of tweaking files, deleting files, moving files (aka Beta testing) , 126 instances of starting FSX, reinstalling all my scenery !! etc etc and a paltry 130 MINUTES OF ACTUAL FLYING FSX . I finally resolved the issue !! :-)
I completely uninstalled, deleted every known TRAFFIC 360 file from my system, and now everything works OK.
 Happy flying again.
 However, With the quality of the app I would bet with anyone that the unistall program has left some hidden remants in the registry somewhere.

johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:37am
I use Revo uninstaller which clears out all remnants.
johnep
johnep
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:06pm
It's a shame that it didn't work for you. But, at least you're back again to enjoying the flying.
electric man View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 2:50pm
I had the same problem with Ultimate traffic 2 some time ago and cursed even louder then you and what seemed the culprit? not UT2 but Microsofts update service on W7 that went completely berserk after not installing any update that had to do with W10, even causing FSX to need about 10 minutes to load and like you said after one hour crash to OOM.
Update service took 25% from the memory causing this and after stopping it and only check manually for updates and then stopping the service again I had no more problems what so ever, FSX loads now in 40 seconds flat, even with AI traffic at 100%,
lesson I learned; don't blame the dog for what the cat did.

best regards Herman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic