This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Hawk T1/A Advanced Trainer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ILS/Tacan are fubar..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ILS/Tacan are fubar..
    Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 9:43pm
I cannot get the ILS or Tacan to work as expected with the new SP1.

I continually fly to the same airports to conduct navigation and landing exercises. One of my primary destinations is Boeing Field (KBFI) in Seattle, WA. Using Fair Weather the landings are always on 13R which is 110.90 on Nav1 or 46X for the Tacan.

Since doing a complete reinstall this morning with SP!, I've made two flights to KBFI. Neither the ILS nor the Tacan can locate the runway. The distance to the ILS is way off, and there is no glideslope. The localizer is reading something, but not the runway.

Either I am doing something wrong, or there is a major issue with the HSI, ILS and Tacan. I'm at a loss on what to do next. The flight dynamics are greatly improved with the SP1, but its near impossible to fly any distance on course to an ILS runway (without using the GPS).

Can somebody test this feature and let me know if there is something I'm overlooking? BTW, all my flights are "cold and dark" and use the hidden quick start.

Thanks

--WH
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 3:24pm
Okay. This morning I repeated my flight to KBFI and got a good ILS reading, but not with the Tacan.

Despite setting the ILS and the Tacan to the same identical frequency, the Tacan did not pick up the runway. In fact the green direction arrow never provided a direction, and the distance was off by 23 miles from the ILS.

So, why is there a difference between the Tacan and ILS? And why do these navigation aids function randomly when all my failures are disabled?

--WH
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 3:47am
Seems this problem will not go away.

Three days ago I set another flight to KBFI and had no problem capturing the Tacan or ILS.

Just now I finished a similar flight, only this time neither worked. I decided to follow the Tacan and see where it took me and ended up over KPAE (Snohomish County, Paine Field) which is over 30 miles north of KBFI. Then I switched to the ILS to see where it took me and ended up somewhere over Puget Sound.

The only difference between these flights were that the first one was with a clean aircraft and the second one had external stores (display pod).

--WH
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 3:43pm
Well, nuts....

I've tried various startup combinations to see if there is anything I'm missing. Quick Start w/stores. Quick Start clean. Interactive menu start clean. Results all the same. The Tacan takes me way off course, 40 miles north of where its supposed to take me. And as for the ILS,I didn't find any runway in the middle of Puget Sound.

Haven't heard anything from anybody, so I guess nobody is flying the Hawk and making ILS approaches these days and Tech Support is busy doing something else. Guess this is going in the hangar.

Very disappointed.

--WH
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:03pm
Have you put in a support ticket? No official support is provided in the forum - tech support are probably busy dealing with support ticketsLOL Drop them a line and I am sure they will try and get you an answer / provide a fix / put it on the list of things to be done for the next SP. At least that way you will get an official answer of some sort.

Paul.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:17pm
Yes, I have - both direct e-mail and support ticket. At the moment Martyn is waiting for the developer to return to look at this issue.

As you can see from my first post, I posted this issue on the forum on 9/6. However, this issue was discussed elsewhere and existed before the SP1 was released.

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30869&KW=&title=hawk-tacan-ils

My posts on the forum are to determine if anyone else has the same problems and possible solution.

--WH
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 7:48pm
I've just tried it out at MSPG's RAF Valley scenery and it worked perfectly in ILS mode. I've not used the ILS during testing (had enough on my plate in other areas!) and have not researched it before testing - simply worked my way around the cockpit and ensured that everything which could possibly affect it was set correctly!

ILS radio rear right panel set to ILS on the rotary and tuned correctly.
centre panel in front of stick set to SLV, push to sync and erect poth pushed.
lower of same panel centre set to 'G'
course set on ILS instrument
ILS / Tacan directly to the right of that set so that ILS is lit.

Other than that, I used the electrical master switch and the clickspot on the bottom of the shift2 menu to start (for simplicity of testing) and I did turn the TACAN radio on (TX/RX) but that was just a general thing and not expected to influence the result of the ILS test.

As far as I can see, the ILS works perfectly well and is very accurate. Have you tested it at multiple airfields? (I freely admit I haven't, just at the add-on Valley but if it works there I presume it will work elsewhere?)
Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. Hope this gets sorted for you,
Paul.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:33pm
Just tested ILS at the stock FSX Warton and it worked perfectly there as well.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 9:48pm
Yep, done all that.

Only new items were as you mentioned, "push to sync and erect poth pushed. lower of same panel centre set to 'G'". So, I did another test flight and still could not get either Tacan or ILS.

As I mentioned early in this thread, this problem is random. I have been able to get both Tacan and ILS on previous flights. Sometimes just ILS. This morning I played around with some of the radio commands. Although the ILS doesn't use the standby frequency, I was able to get it to change. After resetting it the ILS functioned.

From what the manual said, the ILS us based on Nav1 and the Tacan is based on Nav2. Still unreliable on my setup.

Only other thing I discovered was that there is a dual [Radios] section in the aircraft.cfg. Still, deletion of the 2nd duplicate section did not resolve my problem.

I've also been flying Manfred Jahns C-47 V.3 and the new Carenado DO228, and have no problems with ILS or Tacan.

I loaded and started the Cessna 172 then switched aircraft over to the Hawk, and still the problem persists. I'm definitely baffled as to what's going on.

--WH
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 10:07pm
Understandably baffled, by the looks of it! I'm sure Rich will have a look at this and hopefully work out what is going on. FUBAR may be a touch extreme - inconsistent seems a better description, so I'll keep trying while I'm working further on the fde and aim for ILS landings as frequently as possible to see if I can reproduce your problems at all.

Paul.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 3:19am
The definition of FUBAR I'm using is "Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition."

After many, many flights with different parameters, I happened to come across something that if done consistently will give me accurate readings for the ILS and Tacan. I'll pass this on to Rich so he can look closer at the gauges as this may provide some clue as to why my setup is causing me problems. It may also explain why I've been getting inconsistent results.

--WH
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 5:51pm
Well, believe it or not I'm still waiting for a response from Tech Support on this issue.

I did come up with a solution to get a good ILS/Tacan. Setting my ILS and Tacan frequencies before takeoff doesn't work. If I reset them in flight, they work. For example, if I want an ILS of 110.90 I have to rotate the far right wheel from 0 to 5 and back to 0 to get a read. So my question to Tech Support is why I have to take this extra step? Baffling for sure.

--WH
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 7:47pm
Hi,
It's not our tech support team, your request has been passed to me. 
Right now I have some other tasks to complete, but I'll shortly be coming back to the Hawk to sort some remaining issues out (P3D HUD for example). I've got your email put aside as well and I'll be taking a look at what you reported asap and either contacting you directly for more info, or just fixing it based on the info I already have and rolling it into the next service pack. 

Thanks
Rich 
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:19pm
Thank you, Rich.

While I wait for the Meteor to be released, I'll be checking in frequently for any update.

Fortunately, the wife has kept me busy with "Honey-Dos" and I haven't had much flight time.

--WH
GabethePilot View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:09pm
Hi all.

Has this TACAN business been sorted yet ?

Is there a guide to how it works ?

Also, has anyone gotten around to creating a bgl file for all the TACANS in the UK ? I remember about 5 years ago or so, it was in the works when the previous Hawk was released.

Thnx for any help.

Allenby View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allenby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:52pm
The Tacan bgl file I use is one I down-loaded from Avsim back in FS2004 days and am still using it in P3D v3.4, works well.

Navaids covered are:-

NAVAIDS:
========
111.10 CGY Coningsby
112.30 CTM Cottesmore
117.10 WAD Waddington
117.40 CWZ Cranwell
117.60 WIT Wittering
109.80 LYE Lyneham
111.90 BZN Brize Norton
113.40 FFA Fairford
109.60 ODH Odiham
116.50 CSL Coltishall
108.70 MAM Marham
115.90 MLD Mildenhall
110.20 LKH Lakenheath
109.30 WTM Wattisham
114.10 WAL Wallasey
113.20 WTN Warton
112.60 LEE Leeming
113.70 TOP Topcliffe
109.00 LOO Linton-On-Ouse
108.40 VYL Valley
114.80 SAT St Athan
111.00 VLN Yeovilton
109.80 KSS Kinloss
110.50 LUK Leuchars

CHARTS:
=======
Charts of the TACAN approach can be found and downloaded at (look under procedures):
http://www.cenor.org/

Working UK TACAN Beacons for FS2004 by Marcel Ritzema

"In real-life TACAN beacons require a TACAN receiver to receive the course (OBS)
information of the beacon. With a civil VOR/DME receiver you only receive the
distance (DME) to the beacon.

The problem in FS is that there are no dedicated TACAN gauges, so it's not
possible to perform TACAN approaches, because this requires course information
of the beacon.

To overcome this problem i've modified the TACAN beacons in the UK so
you can fully use them with civil receivers. And so are able to fly TACAN
approaches."

Have not checked if its still available in Avsim and I could use a guide on the operation of the ILS/Tacan system in the Hawk.
Expect the unexpected.Intel i5-2500K@3.30GHz Sandy Bridge
ASROCK Q77M vPRO Motherboard
8GB DDR3 Ram,ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, OCZ 750 watt PSU, Windows 10 Home 64bit
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 6:53pm
Does the Tacan work in the Hawk?

If not, then how do you navigate around the map?

I need to know this before buying?

Now the Tac Pack is available in P3dv4, I have this aircraft in my list, but useless if you can not navigate!

Regards

David
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 6:57pm
I believe the Tacan does work in the Hawk.

You need to hunt down the scenery file referred to above.

Then suss out how to use the Tacan... presumably works like an ADG.... direction and distance.

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by GabethePilot GabethePilot wrote:

I believe the Tacan does work in the Hawk.

You need to hunt down the scenery file referred to above.

Then suss out how to use the Tacan... presumably works like an ADG.... direction and distance.

Thanks. I hope there is no need to add scenery files?

I just picked up the VRS Superbug/Tacpack bundle and I am still picking up my jaw from the floor!

The Tacan radios in the F/A 18 just tune to the Tacan, which is co located with most VOR beacons, as seen on Sky Vector for example.
If the Hawks Tacan works then with it's Tacpack compatibility, it would be a nice addition to have.

Cheers.

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabethePilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:34pm
Going to ask over at ADE Scruffyducks..... they will know how to get Toucans squawking !

All above puns intended...

Now I can actually get 120 fps in the Hawk VC in P3D, I may break out the old and dusty TrackIR.... I feel a DME arc coming on.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic