This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FS x and others in Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westmoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FS x and others in Windows 10
    Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:42pm

Windows 10 and Flight Simulators

I have used Flight simulators for many years and with many operating systems. We all slowly had to change as Windows bribed, coerced or even blackmailed us into changing as the years went by ( 95, 98, ME,  XP,  Vista ,  7 and 8 ) before 10 came along.

All had issues when it came to simulators, admittedly some were never designed for systems that weren’t around when the product was released but patches were soon available to keep your favorites going, and pretty well under control up to window XP.

And so we came to Windows 10, hailed as the ultimate, version (don’t miss the opportunity to change while it’s free) and it is  to be here forever, we soon found that just like some of it’s luckless predecessors it did have faults.                                                                                                                                                                   

The very latest and I believe the last Microsoft Fight Simulator was FS x also named 10 and it was the most expensive which required a large amount of disk space and needed a more powerful computer so I changed going up quite a lot in specification.  The simulator did need a lot of tweaking but did run.

However after the last few update or upgrades it will not work at all, uninstall and start again results in the start up wizard failing before it even gets to actually installing the program, and a similar fate has befallen most of the other simulators I have when trying to run in Widows 10.

Combat Flight simulator Europe WW2 a very old one loads and opens but you can’t control the plane with the joystick, Combat 3 a later version installs but won’t open at all , FS 2004 installs and won’t open, but FS 2002 which incorporates 2000 and is quite ancient works perfectly !

My query is with the Windows policy, do they intend planned obsolescence of Microsoft products because it so they are doing a good job, but does anyone designing any Windows operating systems actually try to run older programs to see if they work or do they just wait until the complaints and cries for help arrive and then try and fudge something together.

I have tried compatibility settings when available and running as administrator, also painstakingly following cures posted on the net which frequently become very involved but mostly refer to files either to change or delete which I do not have in my computer so I can’t complete the task.   

Some of MS support was tried which in the case of getting FS x to load involves changing the file name, that did not work, or installing a windows package only to be told I did not have enough storage space when I tried, ( 1 TB 80% unused, how much do they want ? ).   Close certain files which I could not locate even after  following the detailed instructions on how to find them, but I did stop at the suggestion of creating a new account as I could see real trouble ahead in that direction and finally decided not to download .NET FRAMEWORK because I had no idea what it was designed to do.

So a bit of a moan I am afraid but there must be hundreds if not thousands of us in the same situation.

My own solution. ?  Drag out my old computer which runs XP and re load all the simulators into it, don’t plug into the WWW and disable the AV and firewall  if it still  works  that way at least I shall be able to get some results

Tony Oliver View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:37am
I see you have had no replies to this vital problem. I don't understand why not so here's my angle on this.
I too have this irritating/enraging thing to deal with.
I to have been through all the hoops and barriers Microsoft have placed and read the same tired old answers from them.
I had FSX working perfectly in Win10 early on and found that after a few tweaks it wasn't a problem. However I installed something or other which caused problems so ended up uninstalling FSX for a clean install as I have done on all previous FS versions.
That was the fatal error and I have been looking for an answer to the problems you  have stated for over a year now.
The problem seem to be that a previously working system will not work if upgraded (I use the term loosely) to 64-bit. Mine was quite happy on 32-bit but an update not only damaged FSX but earlier versions of other programs too. There are storys that so long as you don't uninstall FSX, it may (?) continue to work.
Our local computer repair shop guru gave me three options - First is to update my current machine by removing Win 10 and reinstalling Win 7.
Next was to obtain a top end disused machine as you have and use that separate from all the online stuff and updates.
Third of course is to leave FSX and move on. Not at all acceptable.
Like many people, I like my FSX and although Steam seems to be another alternative, will it work with Win10 64-bit? I haven't seen anything which suggestes a new install will do it. Nor have I any idea if all the scenery, aircraft etc will work either.

Ray Fry View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Fry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:53am
I run FSX steam , FSW , P3Dv4 , on windows 10 no problem, I do not run FSX much now though due to VAS and OOM , but 64bit has changed all that and is the future as far as I'm concerned.
The good news is window`s 10 will be the last OS Microsoft release no more upgrading and all the issue`s with that.
Ray Fry. 
Pathfinder1` View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pathfinder1` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:23am
Hi, I decided a few years back that if I had to upgrade my FSX, I would
never be able to reload all the programs I had, and set them up as I had them, So I decided that the only thing to do was Clone my three SSD drives ( 1- windows 7 ) (2- MFS )( 3-Steam Train sim ).

Computer self built,
Motherboard    Asus Sabertooth 990FX -R2.0
Processor running at 4.33GHs -- Memory 16.0GB -- Nvidia Geforce GTX 760
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Service pack1.
I have since upgraded to a Sabertooth 990FX R3.as windows will accept a small change,
I do keep a few spare SSds set up, for when I get problems,(as they allways come). I also have 2 SSDs set up ready with Windows 10,
I mostly drive the trains now, as that keeps you more alert, It is very easy to fly a Lancaster from Marham to Liverpool,
memorys of when I worked on the last mark of Lancaster, Which we called Lincolns,
Regards, Harry.

westmoors View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westmoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:54pm
Yes the steam version does work with the 64 bit system.
I do find there are certain differences between Steam and the original  version ( and I did prefer the original) and one is the cockpit view,  I do prefer to use the two dimensional view of the panel for take off and landing but some how if you try the virtual 3 d stays on screen as well which is no use.
But most are little niggles that you soon get used to given time and make the odd compromise, but at least you can use the stored flights etc.
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:45pm
AS I dislike airports and cramped planes, I am wondering if I should abandon FS and go for trains.
Got steam while on Windows 7. Now on 10 and quite miss flying around, but thinking would be nice to drive a train on some of the routes ie Kings Cross to Aberdeen. Perhaps someone could post a few utube links to examples.
johnep
johnep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic