This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

System Recomendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: System Recomendations
    Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 9:31pm
Hi all,

Its been a long time since I have last posted, I hope you are all well!

Following on from a topic I posted way back last summer, where I had trouble with FSX on my current system. I'm looking at upgrading and purchasing a new system, possibly next month.

I have done a bit of reasearch and below is what I am thinking...

Motherboard - Asus Z170-P
Processor - Intel Skylake i7 6700k 4.0Ghz
RAM - Kingston Hyperx 8GB
Graphics - Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB
CPU fan - Artic Cool Freezer
Hard drive - Seagate 1TB SSHD
Operating system - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I have worked it out that the excluding the OS (which I have) it will set me back around £662. My budget was actually around £600. So I can't deffinatly can't spend any more than the above price.

So what are your thoughts on this? I will be running FSX with several adons including PMDG 777. Eventualy I would like to get REX too (I couldn't seem to find any recomended specs on the REX site?).
I want to run the simulator with good graphics, how high do you think I could get the above settings?

Any help and advise you can offer is as always very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Heinz
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
SkyFly View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 9:37am
It sounds like a fast system but would you be playing any other games? With the new Nvidia 10 series out I would really look into getting one of those, maybe the GTX1060? They just released a 3GB version which is a little smaller and cheaper. Because your graphics card will be a real bottleneck in that system for games. 
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 5:38pm
Thanks pal,

I've taken a look at the GTX1060 and anywhere I've found it has it priced more than the GTX950 (which I had priced at £160)

I won't really be playing many other games, I don't play as many as I used to. I'll be using a Train Sim which I know is lighter than a Flight Sim, and Command and Conquer which is laughable against these cards.

Cheers,

Heinz
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
SkyFly View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 8:18am
Well for those sorts of games I imagine it would be OK but you can get a GTX 960 2GB for £135 which would be a better buy for less money! A 1060 is around £210 for the 3GB version if you do want to pay a bit more. You could always get the 960 for now and upgrade later to the next series of graphics cards with that beast processor!
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 7:52pm
Thanks for your recomendation on the GTX 960! I've been looking around and I've found one from the same place I was looking at the 950 at the same price. It's an MSI branded card which I've been told are awesome, so I think I'll be doing with that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic