This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Hawk T1/A Advanced Trainer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Configuring the Hawk for Stable Flight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silentsage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Configuring the Hawk for Stable Flight
    Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 7:57pm
As in many other posts in this forum, I too had problems with the Hawk when I first tried to fly it. Eventually I determined how to configure the aircraft for stable flight, and now it flies quite well. Here is what I learned:

1. You must reset the number 2 hydraulic pump prior to take off. It takes 15-20 seconds after you do so to get full hydraulic pressure. Failure to do this or to wait until it is finished guarantees a crash.

2. You must set the elevator trim to -2.5 degrees (or more), otherwise you will pitch up and crash on take-off. This aircraft relies heavily on trim, that's why the elevator trim gauge is in the center of the instrument panel. Be prepared to retrim whenever you change speed.

3. If you use the shift-1 pop-up panel to delete the pilot and/or instructor, you need to go to the fuel and payload tab and add back their weights (usually 200 lbs each). On an aircraft as small as the Hawk their weight has a significant effect on CG. I usually use 200 lbs for the pilot. I'd classify this one as a bug, since the real aircraft design assumes that the weight of the pilot is always present. I also fill the center tank 100%.

Good luck, and YMMV.......
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 1:05pm
All good advice. It would have been helpful if Just Flight had provided information about things like takeoff trim settings, rotation speeds, reference speeds, etc.

Trimming with speed is a given in any aircraft without an auto-trim system surely? If people aren't doing that then they will get into difficulty.

There is still something terribly wrong with stall behaviour, which trimming and CG position can't explain. I did report this and was told JF are working on a fix.

However if you avoid stall situations and take care with the takeoff the JF Hawk is very nice to fly.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic