This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avro Lancaster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tutmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:40pm
First class is a shocking mess of a model with incorrect systems, fuel selectors that are the wrong way round, loads of switches not working or doing the wrong thing, prop pitch and feathering that doesn’t work properly and incomplete models depending on the version selected. I can’t wait to have a prepar3d native version that has everything working on it.
Despite all that I enjoyed flying the fcs one a lot, probably because it has been the only half decent one that worked in fsx or p3d until now.
Chris
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Busterbvi Busterbvi wrote:

Didnt see this coming ! Thanks for the heads up Tutmeister.

<span style="color: rgb29, 33, 41; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; white-space: pre-wrap;">This is good news indeed, been patiently waiting for a good Lancaster for years. I hope it includes droppable ordnance and bomb aimers view through a SABS precision bomb-sight so we can fly it to do what it was originally designed and built to do. I feel radio, nav station and front gunner views are unnecessary and the engineer sits next to the pilot anyway. Mid upper gunner 360 view would be nice but tail end Charlie, not so much. Respectfully, its a waste of devs time and poly's cramming in useless gimmicky views that most of us never use. Front & rear gunner views there's nothing to see ! Please don't over complicate it, just focus on overall quality, functionality as a bomber, a spot on sound set and you have a winner. Not being rude here so please take my comments in the spirit in which they are meant. Looking forward to it. Spitfire looking good too !</span>

I agree with your statements.

From my experience with P3dv3, it's a P3dv4 version that's required. The sim may be prone to out of memory, especially over Orbx Germany, which is a VAS eater!

Whilst it would be nice to have a working "complex" read, complete simulation of a Lancaster, I think a TacPack enhanced version would be and should be included, as the icing on the cake!

TacPack works well in 64 bit. The VRS Superbug works well in 64 bit, so it's my hope the developers get the Lancaster project done properly.

Just out of curiosity and academic interest, I recently completed a modern re creation of the Dambusters raid. I used the route as flown by AJ-J, Dave Maltby's aircraft.

Because the F/A 18 E has all the modern GPS weapons available and functions in P3dv4, I employed that aircraft, albeit with modern weapons and some "modern" defences to balance out the mission. Obviously it's in day time, or, if filmed at night you wouldn't see anything on You Tube! However the night mission is rather special when you fly it in your favourite aircraft....Tornado anyone??

https://youtu.be/3azwETYk5jQ

https://youtu.be/3azwETYk5jQ

Sorry doesn't look like this forum does links, but post the link in your browser and it should play!

Best regards

David
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Tutmeister View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tutmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:45pm
David click the link icon above the message box, it is on the left hand end and then type in the text you want to appear as the link, then click ok and type in the web address. You end up with it like this.

f18 dambusters raid

Chris
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Tutmeister Tutmeister wrote:

David click the link icon above the message box, it is on the left hand end and then type in the text you want to appear as the link, then click ok and type in the web address. You end up with it like this.

f18 dambusters raid

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'd forgot about the link thingy!

Best regards
David

Simon Caire View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Caire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 12:12pm
Hi Fellow Lancaster lovers,

I have just joined in the Flight Simulator world and am enjoying learning to fly on MFS 9 and MFSX.  In particular, I am just getting started on the Just Flight Lancaster (favourite aircraft) on MFS 9.

Was hoping for some advice:  I can't seem to find the Bomb aimer position or front turret position in the Option C aircraft.  I cycle through the views and only get the cockpit, virtual cockpit, spot and tower views.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, can anyone suggest some locations to fly from to be able to get some good scenery for coastal low level flight, and a target or two for the upkeep and grand slam.

Thanks everyone from the newbie for your advice.

Simon
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Simon Caire Simon Caire wrote:

Hi Fellow Lancaster lovers,

I have just joined in the Flight Simulator world and am enjoying learning to fly on MFS 9 and MFSX.  In particular, I am just getting started on the Just Flight Lancaster (favourite aircraft) on MFS 9.

Was hoping for some advice:  I can't seem to find the Bomb aimer position or front turret position in the Option C aircraft.  I cycle through the views and only get the cockpit, virtual cockpit, spot and tower views.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, can anyone suggest some locations to fly from to be able to get some good scenery for coastal low level flight, and a target or two for the upkeep and grand slam.

Thanks everyone from the newbie for your advice.

Simon

Hello Simon.

Unfortunately I don't have fs9 anymore, so have no idea about the JF Lanc for fs9. What I do know is that if they release this for P3dv4 with TacPack, I would think all my birthdays had com at once. I would pay twice to get that!!

If you want to fly the exact route AJ-J (Dave Maltby's Lancaster flew on the dams raid) there is a link here for the site.

I used this exact route in my "Modern Recreation" video.

https://dambustersblog.com/2011/09/21/dams-raid-route-%e2%80%93-a-modern-re-creation/

Happy simming!
Regards
David

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Caire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:36pm
Thanks Dave for the info.  Yes I will have a look at your dams raid route.  I am very interested in that.  I have been doing a bit more research on the dams raid recently.

Any idea who might be able to help me re my FS9 issue and selecting the two other aircraft stations?

I am having fun aircraft simming.  Had thought about it for a ing time and finally bit the bullet late last year after I was at a work function in the Australian war memorial.  It was an evening meal, and we were in the RAAF Hall, which includes a Lancaster sitting proudly on display.  That got my interest up again, so I did it.  

Regards from down-under,
Simon
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Simon Caire Simon Caire wrote:

Thanks Dave for the info.  Yes I will have a look at your dams raid route.  I am very interested in that.  I have been doing a bit more research on the dams raid recently.

Any idea who might be able to help me re my FS9 issue and selecting the two other aircraft stations?

I am having fun aircraft simming.  Had thought about it for a ing time and finally bit the bullet late last year after I was at a work function in the Australian war memorial.  It was an evening meal, and we were in the RAAF Hall, which includes a Lancaster sitting proudly on display.  That got my interest up again, so I did it.  

Regards from down-under,
Simon

No worries!

It's a fine hobby, especially for retired types!

Sorry I can't help with fs9. You could send JF a support request ticket?

I have been simming since the Commodore 64 days and now find myself on the latest 64 bit P3dv4. I would recommend considering the upgrade, it's the unlimited VAS that's great for the future. Trouble is some developers are slow to upgrade Sims to 64 bit. Some try and mess up?

Regarding the route I used in my "modern recreation" post the link in your browser and it should take you to the Dutch pilot who researched it. He used the navigator logs of Vivian Nicholson's, the navigator in Dave Maltby's "J" Johnny. The route, when flown in P3dv4 with Orbx North Germany, becomes clear! Orbx have even got the Slag Heap at waypoint "G". This was the i.p. for the turn south towards the Mohne Dam. Nearly all the other visual waypoints used can be found. But you need Orbx in 64 bit to really see what's there!

Best regards
David

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Caire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:16pm
Thanks Dave,

I did send a tech support request to JF and they were not able to help.  The Lancaster add on is not supported (go figure) so they suggested the forum.  Just a tad frustrated I can't find the bomb aimers position and hence can't release ordnance.  I am not sure where to turn to next.  Any other ideas?

I have had a look at your blog and the J Johnny route.  It is amazing David.  You must have spent lot of time researching it and setting up the idea.  I managed to only get about 15 mins into the sim but will get back to it later.  You should be very proud of that.  

Regards,

Simon
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:12pm
Hi Simon.

The bomb aimer view must be a "view", which should be in your .cfg file. I have forgotten where that is in fs9 (its a long time ago!). But if you open the aircraft.cfg file in notepad, scroll down, there should be a couple of entries. If not then something's wrong?

My thought were to do the "Dambusters recreated" movie using the 617 Tornado. Since the JF 64 bit Tonka is hangared due to maintenance..!
   I decided to explore the VRS Superbug. Glad I did! What a simulation!

Of course I would have preferred a fully working Lanc. But the way things are with devs these days, I will be waiting a long time I think!

The only other WW2 Bomber with credentials for being a simulation, is the A2A B17. Again here we see reluctance on the part of A2A to "convert" it to 64 bit?

So after I discovered how deep a simulation the VRS Superbug is with Tacpack, I don't think I can go back to non armed warplanes in P3d?

The Tacpack SDK is available to all. Some guys have even put a Vulcan onto a Cessna. I am sure it wouldn't take much for a dev to put weapons onto a Tornado or Canberra or a new version of a Lancaster? If there is a will?

Unfortunately, we seem to be in a minority. We are a niche within a niche hobby and arnt seen as a commercial proposition!

Best regards
David

petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:35pm
Some good "front office" pictures on Aeroplane Heaven's FaceBook page.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by petesmiffy petesmiffy wrote:

Some good "front office" pictures on Aeroplane Heaven's FaceBook page.

It will no doubt be very welcome in P3dv4. No Oom's to worry about! But without Tacpack compatibility, its a military sim without vital functions!
All military sims in Prepared should have the Tacpack compatibility. It would enhance the simulation and no doubt increase sales!

Cheers.

bladerunner900 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladerunner900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:26am
Hi guys.

Thanks for the heads-up Chris. I look forward to this release. Probably the last chance of a decent Avro Lancaster in my lifetime, since A2A seem to have lost the plot regarding  warbirds. Just my opinion of course. LOL

Steve.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by bladerunner900 bladerunner900 wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks for the heads-up Chris. I look forward to this release. Probably the last chance of a decent Avro Lancaster in my lifetime, since A2A seem to have lost the plot regarding  warbirds. Just my opinion of course. LOL

Steve.

I hope a Lanc will work with Tacpack. With a working bomb aimers position. That "halfpenny" bombsight they used in the Dambuster raid was just a couple of pegs on a Y shaped bracket...Shouldn't be hard to simulate that? However a bouncing bomb (Upkeep) will be a problem? The main focus, I surmise, should be on the engine simulation. Four Merlin's to work with.

A2A seem to be very slow to release 64 bit versions of their sims. A few have tried to stimulate interest in a Lancaster A2A, but seems like they aren't interested!

We need a dev who has a passion for the Lancaster, otherwise it will never be made, or worse still they will just make a museum version that just flies about at air shows and doesn't drop any bombs!

Best regards

David

Uncle Bucc View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Bucc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:34pm
You tube have a teaser trailer from Aeroplane Heaven. 
Hopefully they will have a decent camera view for the P8 compass.  Easy in the "Tiffy" but a bit awkward in the "Mossie" to get a decent bearing/reading. 

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Uncle Bucc Uncle Bucc wrote:

You tube have a teaser trailer from Aeroplane Heaven. 
Hopefully they will have a decent camera view for the P8 compass.  Easy in the "Tiffy" but a bit awkward in the "Mossie" to get a decent bearing/reading. 

Aeroplane Heaven have stated that they do not intend to do a Tacpack compatible version.

Unless they do their own bomb release mechanism, this will be another flying museum aircraft, nice to fly about but with no weapons. I realise Tacpack and FSX@War/ P3d@War isn't for everyone, but creating missions that have a result is much more engrossing!

Best regards
David

Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:38pm

Its looking good but what a shame about Tacpack, I think a change of attitude is needed at Aeroplane Heaven. I'm also disappointed that the superb JF in house team did not do this. This most iconic plane deserves the very best standards of simulation modeling that the JF team consistently achieve.

Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. Dell 32'' 4K Monitor. 2 Lazy Boyz & Lap dancing facilities.
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:41am
The medal ribbons on the aircraft refer to awards to the aircrew.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Busterbvi Busterbvi wrote:

Its looking good but what a shame about Tacpack, I think a change of attitude is needed at Aeroplane Heaven. I'm also disappointed that the superb JF in house team did not do this. This most iconic plane deserves the very best standards of simulation modeling that the JF team consistently achieve.

Aeroplane Heaven wont get a sale out of me unless its weapon capable. After you have constructed missions in Tacpack/Sim director and FSCAI for AAA and Flak, just flying about from a to b is somewhat dull!

I was looking forward to using my "Dambusters" mission in a Lanc but this looks like its not going to happen.

Hopefully the Vulcan will get a Tacpack addition...But I aint holding my breath!

Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:07pm

Not sure how involved JF are in this Lancaster project but if they are the publisher perhaps they could intervene or persuade AH to think again. I see in the trailer that it does drop ordnance but I want to blow shit up which is what it was designed and built to do. The tech capability to do this has been around for years.
Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. Dell 32'' 4K Monitor. 2 Lazy Boyz & Lap dancing facilities.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic