This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avro Lancaster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by petesmiffy petesmiffy wrote:

The medal ribbons on the aircraft refer to awards to the aircrew.

Only partially true. S-Sugar was decorated 3 times. See this from the RAF Museum history.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/74-A-12-Avro-Lancaster-R5868.pdf

"As ‘Sugar’s’ mission tally approached the 100 mark the press began to take an interest and ‘higher authority’ decided that the nude would have to go. In her place was inscribed Herman Goering’s vain boast ‘No enemy plane will fly over the Reich Territory’ applied by LAC Ted Willoughby, one of Sugars engine fitters in Feb 1944 assisted by F/Sgt Dan Smith. An arrow pointed to the growing number of bomb markings and the DSO ribbon ‘awarded’ after the first tour of 30 missions and a DSO after 60.Sugar was later awarded a bar to the DFC. These also reflected awards given to Sugars’ crew members."

As I understand it, this aircraft is the only one ever to be decorated by the RAF.

Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. Dell 32'' 4K Monitor. 2 Lazy Boyz & Lap dancing facilities.
DaveG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 3:31pm
TacPacking the Lancaster would be relatively easy for simple freefall bombs (I've added it myself for the FCS model), but the fact is the ordinance carried by the Lancaster simply doesn't exist in TacPack, that would need to be added by VRS to the TacPack code. Without that you would end up dropping modern Mk-82 or similar weapons.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

TacPacking the Lancaster would be relatively easy for simple freefall bombs (I've added it myself for the FCS model), but the fact is the ordinance carried by the Lancaster simply doesn't exist in TacPack, that would need to be added by VRS to the TacPack code. Without that you would end up dropping modern Mk-82 or similar weapons.

That's interesting! I knew you could put a gun on a Cessna with the Tacpack SDK. But there is little chance to put a TallBoy or an Upkeep in a Tacpack Lancaster. Unless you could amend the bomb weight somehow. But youd still see a Mk 83 drop!

I suppose the 12000 Lb load could be Mk 82/83, which are in Tacpack?

Perhaps?

Cheers.

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

DaveG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:18pm
Yes, you could replace the actual Mk83 model with a Tallboy for example, so it would look right, but the drop and explosion characteristics would still be those of the Mk83. Of course, then any other aircraft that used the Mk83 would be dropping Tallboy lookalikes! LOL
Using Mk82/83 as standard WWII 500lb or 1000lb bombs would be OK if you didn't look too closely as they dropped.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

Yes, you could replace the actual Mk83 model with a Tallboy for example, so it would look right, but the drop and explosion characteristics would still be those of the Mk83. Of course, then any other aircraft that used the Mk83 would be dropping Tallboy lookalikes! LOL
Using Mk82/83 as standard WWII 500lb or 1000lb bombs would be OK if you didn't look too closely as they dropped.

OK, I think keeping the Mk 82's would be ok. I don't know if they dropped 12,000 Lb. worth of those, but the effect would be rather spectacular!

They dropped sticks of incendiaries (looked like modern small "practice" bombs) and a big "Cookie", which looked like a large barrel full of HE.

Like you say we are limited to what's in Tacpack but at least the Lanc could drop something!

So here's hoping that we can have a Lanc that works!

Cheers.

Regards
David

Bumblemus View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumblemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 4:52pm
Hi,

Is there any news from the lancaster?

It has been a long time...

Cheers,

Bumblemus
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 5:55pm
I believe it's nearing completion.

It was advertised recently, on a JF newsletter, showing some nice external shots. If it has Tacpack integration, I would have it on my wish list. If not, it's going to be missing the ability to do bombing missions using FSX@War, FSCAI etc. I realise Tacpack wouldn't replicate an Upkeep, but a few iron bombs would be nice?

It will be nice to fly one in the sim. I hope they modelled the engines at least?

Regards.
Davud

Uncle Bucc View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Bucc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:25pm
Looked into JF, saw that the Lancaster had just been released and without hesitation bought it.

Just read the guidance notes, twice, and about to re-read them again before setting up the aeroplane with FSUIPC.

It looks like you get quite a bit here with engine management systems, maybe not as complex as A2A's B-17, plus also the ability to manage limited flight control from the bomb aimers' position.

Thankfully there is a primitive "George" as you can also flit between the navigator and wireless operators stations.

Once in autopliot you can also get to act as the front gunner.

This does like like it will be a joy to fly, despite not being Tac-Packed. 
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 7:55am
Maybe you can help me here. When I engage the auto control the aircraft turns North. If I click on the auto control steering switch the aircraft turns onto some totally random heading.
What are you doing right, that I am doing wrong?
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Bucc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 10:51am
I am afraid that I am unable to help you there as I suffered the same problem.  I then re-read the manual and will try and give it another go again tonight. 

I hope that I can find out where I am going wrong and I will post an update if any positive results happen.

I also need to "tweak" the aileron null zones in FSUIPC but that is a local issue for me.

I flew for about an hour just to get the feel and I need to be careful and watch my air-speed when deploying flaps plus also how quickly she can fall from the sky.  My first landing was one of the best I have ever managed in any of my virtual aircraft.

I also had a funny 'glitch' when trying to shut down number three engine because the airscrew (propellor) just kept on slowly turning after it had been shut-down. 

My next flight will also be in twilight, either dawn or dusk, just to try out the cockpit lighting as standard and as set out in the manual.

Also if you 'manage' the engines some pretty good fuel consumption can be obtained.  I saw on a TV programme about the Lancaster, Forces TV, that some flight engineers could get 1 nautical mile to each gallon of fuel that was carried.

All the best.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:26am
I found the default cockpit lighting makes the start up drill difficult. I expect the real pilots could do it all by touch, or torch.
Over I really like it. Just need to get the auto control heading sorted. I have submitted a ticket.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 3:18pm
I have discovered (in P3Dv4) that if you start up, take off and climb to whatever altitude you like and then  engage the Auto Control, pitch works like it says on the tin. Heading can be made to work too, do NOT touch the Auto Control Steering lever. The Auto Control strives to keep the aircraft heading towards the "0" on the Direction Indicator
Flying North with the Direction Indicator showing "0", turn the Indicator to "030" and the aircraft will turn to PORT until the Direction Indicator reads "0" again and you are now flying on a heading of 330Mag. Turn the Direction Indicator however many degrees you like and the aircraft will turn that number of degrees in the opposite direction, to bring the Direction Indicator back to "0". Do NOT press "D" because  that will screw it up.
Not ideal, but it works.
I have not tried it from the bomb aimer's position.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 4:04pm
PS
If you carefully place your mouse cursor in the very centre of the Auto Control Turn Lever control, on what looks like the central bolt. Left clicking will produce a left turn and right clicking a right turn. Stopping the turn on the correct heading is tricky but it can be done with a quick blast of opposite click
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Bucc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:07pm
@ petesmiffy many thanks for the help regarding the auto control. 

I tried another flight, by mistake for trying a twilight/night flight, and the same thing happened again the aeroplane went all over the place.  I shall try your remedy again tomorrow morning to see if I get better results.

Now I must remember some mental arithmetic when calculating my courses if that is the case.  LOL

I am using FSX:SE (Steam Edition) for those who may be experiencing similar issues.
neilG View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 5:04pm
Does anyone else find that the FPS is a bit low?
neilG View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
Ok guys, just managed to pull a loop in full reality in an Avro Lancaster. I am not entirely sure about these flight dynamics???
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by neilG neilG wrote:

Ok guys, just managed to pull a loop in full reality in an Avro Lancaster. I am not entirely sure about these flight dynamics???
Was that with a full bomb load or empty?

--WH
neilG View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:08pm
I was empty but shouldn't be able to do that anyway should you?
neilG View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
Right, just pulled another loop with full bomb load and full realism: built up steam in a dive  - no rumble or shake through dive acceleration; smooth as silk,  - pulled up and over, pulled out and all smooth as....Now Ive never flown the real thing but I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to do that in reality. I think this is important, what do others think?
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
Barrel-roll, yes. Not sure about a loop. I would think the stresses would tear the aircraft apart, assuming you had damages activated in the sim. But then again, this is a simulation.

--WH

PS - Need to read chapter 12 of "Sigh for a Merlin" by test pilot Alex Henshaw to did a lot of testing of the Lanc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic