This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Hawk T1/A Advanced Trainer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawk Tacan/ILS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawk Tacan/ILS
    Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:58pm
So far, I've made seven flights in the Hawk. On each I've attempted an ILS landing, but can't seem to get it right.

I've read the manual several times. I know I have the right Tacan and ILS frequencies entered and have the HSI powered up, but the HSI doesn't give me the correct localizer. And I haven't been able to acquire a glideslope on any of the landings, either.

Anyone have a specific set of procedures that have worked on setting up an ILS landing? A video would be even better, but that might be asking a lot.

Thanks in advance.

--WH
Henk Schuitemaker View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henk Schuitemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 1:32pm
Here is a quick start guide for ILS/TACAN navigation setup. In this example, ILS is tuned to 110.10 Mhz (displayed as "10.10"), TACAN to channel 023X ( = 108.60 Mhz FSX VOR )

WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 2:29pm
Hmmm... that's pretty much what I've been doing except for Step 5.

Okay, looks like I got it now. ILS works fine. Not sure about the Tacan, so I'll need to do some more flights.

Thanks Henk.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 4:20pm
I've still been struggling with the Tacan/ILS configuration, and think I've figured out why.

Basically, BOTH the ILS and Tacan have to be set to the same frequency. For example, to land at McCord AFB the ILS should be 108.50 AND the Tacan should be 22.

This doesn't make sense to me. Without the Tacan setting, the ILS is useless and doesn't give the correct glideslope or localizer. IMHO these settings should be independent of each other. In other words for proper navigation I should be able to use the Tacan to point to one airport, yet land ILS at another airport.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't make sense to me.

--WH
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henk Schuitemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 5:42pm
Sorry but I just tried the KTCM rwy 34 ILS with the Hawk ILS radio tuned to 108.50; TACAN radio off and I get perfect indications on the HSI.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 5:47pm
Hmm..

My first flight this morning was to KTCM. I had the ILS set to 108.50, and had the Tacan set to 46X (KBFI) by mistake and couldn't get a clean ILS. On my second flight I corrected myself and set the Tacan to 22.

Seems I'm going around in circles.

Thanks for the feedback.

--WH
Joe bob View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 5:54am
The Nav radios seem to have a mind of their own.   I just tracked a tacan and then switched to an ILS freq, nothing as usual so I tried turning off the tacan, still no ILS but the Tacan continued to be able to track the Tacan even though it was off.   I tried tuning the Tacan to the ILS freq but that did not work either.  The ILS has never worked for me.
Also when tracking a Tacan if I switch off of that channel briefly to tune in another to see if it is in range yet, if I tune back to the original channel then I no longer have the DME readout.
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 12:25pm
I haven't tried the ILS, but Im trying to figure out how to get a VOR signal? I have tried all of the suggestions and settings in this post and I dont think the NAV system is working at all. I can set the VOR frequency and when I hover the cursor over the frequency it shows that it hasn't changed. For example I input 113.15, but the tooltip indicates that its still set at 113.70. I also tried to set the Tacan and got the same result. From these posts and from the lack of others saying they are having issues it sounds like it must be working for most everybody?
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henk Schuitemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 2:24pm
sthenion: The ILS mode selector "VOR" position is inop (as in the real Hawk). You can tune to VOR stations using the ILS radio with the mode selector at "ILS" or use the channel selection tooltips on the TACAN radio. If the tooltips do not respond, cycling the ILS mode selector to "OFF" and then back to "ILS" usually helps. Same story for the TACAN function selector.
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 3:18pm
Bingo! Thanks
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Joe bob Joe bob wrote:

The Nav radios seem to have a mind of their own.   I just tracked a tacan and then switched to an ILS freq, nothing as usual so I tried turning off the tacan, still no ILS but the Tacan continued to be able to track the Tacan even though it was off.   I tried tuning the Tacan to the ILS freq but that did not work either.  The ILS has never worked for me.
Also when tracking a Tacan if I switch off of that channel briefly to tune in another to see if it is in range yet, if I tune back to the original channel then I no longer have the DME readout.
I tend to agree. I've been practicing using the ILS on all my flights to the same airports. The ILS will work on one flight, then not work on the next flight to the same airfield. I have all faults turned of, BTW.

--WH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic