This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Hawk T1/A Advanced Trainer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawk Start problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffoon 62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawk Start problem
    Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 6:49pm
Hi , installed the Hawk but for the life of me I just can't start it .Gone through the manual
Still no joy , submitted a support ticket . Any ideas though ? Cheers Chris .
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:18pm
Would a checklist have been too much to ask for? Found one on the web but it doesn't help much with this model.
This one helps a bit
http://www.veaosimulations.co.uk/dcshawk/manuals/DCS_Hawk_QuickStart_Guide.pdf
Vino View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:22am
YouTube? I follow dcs model steps and works fine.
Henk Schuitemaker View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Henk Schuitemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:36am
Here is a quick & dirty start up guide:

Do not forget the last steps (!) :
If you do not reset Hyd2 pressure your flaps, ailerons and elevators will not move.
Without enabling the AHRS you will not have a working HSI and Attitude Indicator ball.

If you have the Failures Configurator enabled, don't be surprised to loose the engine, hydraulics or electrics at some point during the flight.

Do not expect active nose wheel steering, as in real life the Hawk does not have it. You need to apply differential braking to steer on the ground. During take off roll as speed picks up, the rudder takes over.

Shutdown is simple, just left-click the throttle to the cut off position or push the LP fuel lever down (which can be found left of the seat).

Camo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 12:04pm
The guide above appears broken to me.  Just shoes a white box with a little symbol in the top left corner
petesmiffy View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petesmiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 1:42pm
I solved my FSX start up problem by using my keyboard to switch the non-existant magnetos to "both". Then it started like a dream.
Taxi is just a matter of practice with the brakes, and once you get the hang of it, quite easy.
I did get it to fly - Take off was at 175kts with half flaps after a run of about 12,000ft. By using VERY gentle inputs I was able to climb straight ahead at 450kts with the throttle at about 30%. At 5000 ft, with no help from me, the aircraft rolled 90 degs right and started to turn right. It then refused all aileron or rudder input. Elevators caused violent changes of pitch and I was able to turn left by half-looping. Although the aircraft was turning left it was still banked right. Cutting the throttle reduced airspeed to 162 kts IAS, which then remained constant
So, as long as you turn the mags on, this aircraft behaves perfectly on the ground. It's just the flying bit that's bloody awful.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 4:49pm
I have a suspicion based on your description - that sounds very much like the initial fde I worked from has crept into the release somehow, for the simple reason that it had the engine from our Tornado in it (just as a placeholder). Your description is almost exactly what we had at the start of testing - huge lengths of runway used, climbing at idle power, unable to slow to circuit speeds. Another comment elsewhere mentioned going supersonic in the climb! I can at least answer your lack of control - because you're having to fly at idle power, the systems are shutting down (RAT should be deploying) but you will get problems maintaining control.

It's the weekend, bear with us this will get sorted!
Paul.
Taffoon 62 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffoon 62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the advice gents, managed to get it started with the magneto
trick . good one. Also that little button on the throttle,didn't see that. Overall I think Just Flight's got a winner here . The frame rates are great on my medium spec machine . Just a few small problems to be sorted . Chris.
Manxphoto View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manxphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 11:38am
I can't get this plane to start up.  I've read the messages/handbook, watched videos on YouTube and still nothing.  It gets as far as having the two green lights (GTS & Rotation) displayed and when I move the throttle out of the gate into the 'Start' position - nothing happens.  I have the Saitek Switch Unit and Throttle Quardants and have tried selecting the  Magnetos to both as suggested above but with no effect.  Also the Saitek throttle quadrant has no effect on the Hawk throttle.  Works fine with all my other regualar aircraft, twins and singles (Real Air Duke Turbine, Real Air Legacy, Majestic Dash 8).  Any more ideas to try folks before I give up!
Jon
Taffoon 62 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffoon 62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 12:09pm
Hi , the only way I can get it to start, is once I get the two green lights I click the throttle , then press Shift+M. Hope this helps?
andyleigh View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Manxphoto Manxphoto wrote:

I can't get this plane to start up.  I've read the messages/handbook, watched videos on YouTube and still nothing.  It gets as far as having the two green lights (GTS & Rotation) displayed and when I move the throttle out of the gate into the 'Start' position - nothing happens.  I have the Saitek Switch Unit and Throttle Quardants and have tried selecting the  Magnetos to both as suggested above but with no effect.  Also the Saitek throttle quadrant has no effect on the Hawk throttle.  Works fine with all my other regualar aircraft, twins and singles (Real Air Duke Turbine, Real Air Legacy, Majestic Dash 8).  Any more ideas to try folks before I give up!

OK I might be being stupid here. But reading your description your missing 1 vital step (unless you forgot to mention it). When you get the green GTS light on, next step is to click the engine start Master switch momentarily to START then when the engine spools up to i think 16% then move the throttle out of the gate.

Manxphoto View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manxphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 2:45pm
Sorry, may not have mentioned, but did that and the engine spools up to around 15% and the Rotation green light comes on.  Move the throttle out of the gate but no engine light up.  I suspect it may be some interation between the Saitek system and the aircraft.  I'll disconnect the Saitek stuff and try it again.
Jon
andyleigh View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 3:09pm
Ok and the fuel stop cock is open IE down and forward ?
My first flight I just did ctrl E for FSX auto engine start. You could try that to see if it will start.
Also another thing you can try. Press shift +2 to get the setup panel. There is a button with lightning pic on it. Push that and it gets the aircraft set up for engine start. All you need do from there is go through the engine start as explained before but all switches should be set up correctly.
Manxphoto View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manxphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 6:46pm
Well, I've managed to start it up and even get it in the air!  Using ctrl E which went as far as previous attempts, i.e. both green light on but no engine lightup - then I cycled the mags off and back on with the Saitek switch panel and the engine fired up - result!  Only problem is that the Saitek throttles still won't work so actually flying it is a bit hit and miss with engine power.

Thanks for all the suggestions, seems a very nice aircraft to fly if only I could reliably start it and have throttle control!
Jon
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by andyleigh andyleigh wrote:

Ok and the fuel stop cock is open IE down and forward ?
My first flight I just did ctrl E for FSX auto engine start. You could try that to see if it will start.
Also another thing you can try. Press shift +2 to get the setup panel. There is a button with lightning pic on it. Push that and it gets the aircraft set up for engine start. All you need do from there is go through the engine start as explained before but all switches should be set up correctly.
Unfortunately the "ready for start" state doesn't initialise the ignition system properly. You still need the FSX magnetos on. I can't get this to work from key assignments (the default M does nothing). However if you load the default Cessna and switch the battery and mags on that sets the missing ignition inputs. Then load the Hawk and the engine start will work.

I suspect the fact that some people can get it to start easier than others depends on their default flight. Mine is "cold and dark" so the power to ignition will be off. If your default flight has battery and ignition on the Hawk will start.

The only problem remaining with the start system is if you switch the start switch off the engine shuts down. No way that should happen (it doesn't control fuel). Obviously you can leave the switch ON but the logic is incorrect.

Kevin
Manxphoto View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manxphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:25pm
Thanks Kevinh, probably explains a lot. My default setting is indeed 'cold and dark'.  I still need to find a way to make the Saitek throttle work though :-)
Jon
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:48pm
My startup procedure includes a shortcut key for the battery. It seems that the battery switches only activate part of the system.

After switching the batteries on in the cockpit, I can load the GPS (Shift + 1) and its still without power. I use "Shift + C" to turn on the battery, and then I can complete the rest of the startup procedure.

--WH
Andy28 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:56pm
Has anyone experienced a problem with not being able to roll the aircraft? I can pitch and yaw but not roll. It's not the hydraulics as I've checked that and the animations are working. Confused!
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 8:19pm
Andy28, just the opposite.

Both roll and pitch were too sensitive for my tastes. My landings were horrible as the aircraft was all over the place.

I had to increase the dampening on both, and decrease elevator effectiveness. My last flight was nice and stable.

--WH
Andy28 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 8:28pm
Hmm. I am ultra sensitive in the pitch but there is zero roll. It's annoying.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic