This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jetways

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jetways
    Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 11:47am
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum and have been searching here for an answer but none found.
Is there a way to disable the moving jetways for the AI traffic? it hits on the performance of my system which is only a medium high end one, would be nice if there was a switch for that in the control center.

Herman
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 5:09pm
As far as I know there are only two ways to 'stop' the default jetways from moving onto the aircraft.

#1 You would have to use a program like "Airfield Design Editor" (ADE) to replace the moving jetways with a static version - obviously you would have to do this for every airfield you want to visit that has moving jetways. You either replace them or they can be changed to a 'higher density level' like "Extremely Dense" so that in FSX, if you only have the density level set at "Dense" then the jetways will not show.

#2 You would have to edit the aircraft.cfg file for all of the airliners that the jetways move to. Effectively, you would have to remove all 'exit.(x)' entries for these aircraft. There are programs which let you do this quite easily. One of these is related to ADE and is called "AI-Aircraft Editor".

Either way, I am sorry to say that quite a lot of work is required.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
electric man View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 8:10pm
Okay thanks for the answer, looks like I'm stuck with them, I did have UT2 before this program and that had a button to enable or disable the jetways for AI traffic but then a Trojan sneeked up my FSX folder through UT2 and didn't get any help from them so that's why I changed for this, quite happy with it to except that a lot of airlines have either no ATC name or the wrong name and that's a lot of work to correct so I'll leave it with that and hope in a future update the button may appear?

best regards Herman
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:01am
Herman,

I have noticed that UT2 has/had a 'switch' that allowed you to disable jetways - can you confirm that it worked? I have never had UT2 myself.

I wonder if anyone knows how UT2 managed to do this?

At least your problem is not as bad as it could be as, from what I have found whilst modifying FSX stock airports, the airport designers often gave some jetways the "Extremely Dense" setting, so that unless you are running FSX at the MAX density settings, you will not actually see all of the jetways that they put in place. Some people may have wondered why not all gates have jetways - well this is one of the reasons.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:39am
It did work perfect on UT2 but don't ask me how they did it,about the jet ways only showing at extremely dense,that I did know and I always have it at that setting, looks not wright if you have parkingspots near the terminal building that don't have jet ways.
Meanwhile started to disable exits on AI planes from some companies that I see the most at the airports I visit a lot and that helps some extra FPS while on the tarmac.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:11pm
Are you going in to the aircraft.cfg for the aircraft in question?

If so, are you going to the [exits] section and just putting 'double-slashes' in front of any lines therein?

e.g. //   exit.0 = 0.4, 44.911, -6.389, 0.677, 0

Do the same for any other 'exit' lines.

This disables them but makes it easy to re-instate later if required.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:47pm
beat you to it, already finished for major passenger airliners, but thanks anyway

Herman

PS; I'm new to Traffic 360 but already a flightsimmer for 7 years so I know a thing or two about FSX
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:12am
Yep, have fun with all the aircraft.cfg edits.  Time consuming.  But, yes, I agree with the suggestions already posed in this thread ... to my knowledge, the only way to stop the jetways from operating is to use ADE to remove/reduce them, or, edit the aircraft.cfg files as you are doing.

You could also lower the scenery density slider in FSX which should, depending on the airport AFCADs, reduce the number of jetways at the airports, thus gaining you more frames.  Of course, that will also reduce other things as well such as the number of buildings at the airports.

Hmmm.  You would think some smart coder out there would have written a BATCH file or something to automatically disable/enable (toggle) all the "doors" entries in the aircraft.cfg files, thus disabling and enabling jetways.  I couldn't find any such program or batch file, so there's a suggestion for somebody if they want to take that and run with it.

To answer Ray's question about how UT2 did it, I will guess that they do a search through all the aircraft.cfg files, find the doors section, and merely comment it out by using double slashes (//).  And, to re-enable (toggle) it, they'd do the same, removing all the double slashes. That's exactly how I would do it if I were a smart coder (see my previous paragraph). Smile

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 5:16am
Time consuming! didn't take me more then half an hour, you only have to change one .cfg per airplane model and if you do the airbusses and Boeings then most of the jet ways don't work any more.
UT2 has to do it some other way that if a plane is parked at a gate that that triggers the jet ways to start working because it comes without afcads, don't know if you ever saw that but Traffic 360 comes with afcads for a lot of airports that have jet ways to, why? beats me but it are those and not the default FSX ones that start working so if someone only comes at a few airports then you could delete the jet ways from TR360 afcads, I do a lot of flights around the globe so changing the airplane.cfg's was the best way for me.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:24pm
Only half an hour? Well that's not as bad as I might have thought then.

The jetways in FSX are natively programmed to work for any AI plane that has an EXITS section and appropriate doors configurations in its aircraft.cfg file. In other words, jetways work at ANY AND ALL airports (whether they be FSX default airports or modified airports) provided an AI plane has an EXITS and doors section in its config file. With that in mind, UT2 doesn't need to include "specially modified" AFCADs to have the jetways work; they just need to provide the AI planes. The same applies to Traffic X and Traffic 360, or any of the AI packages for that matter. They just need to provide the AI planes, and the jetways in FSX will work.

So then, why did Traffic X and Traffic 360 include AFCADs? The answer is because those AFCADS included, amongst other things, parking spot improvements and enhancements to particular default FSX airports for situations where the airport perhaps didn't have sufficient parking spots for the AI planes that Just Flight wanted to fly to that airport. For example, let's say that, for whatever reason, an FSX default International airport only had small parking spots and no cargo spots; but Just Flight wanted to set large planes such as A340, 747s, and cargo planes, to fly to this airport. Therefore, for those planes to work at this airport and find appropriate parking spots, the AFCAD would need to be modified. So, rather than making a decision to not set large planes to fly to this airport, and instead send only small planes there (which, for an International airport would have looked silly), Just Flight decided to modify the AFCADs and include those in their package. This contributed greatly to the realism of the package as the airports were able to accommodate the types of planes that would actually fly to those airports in real life, meaning that things looked right and made sense. There were other AFCAD fixes such as adding helicopter landing pads and, for some of the major airports around the world, some building and taxiway work as a bonus. Not to mention updated airport facilities (for fuel trucks and vehicles etc) at many airports. For the price paid for Traffic X and Traffic 360, I am happy to get additional AFCAD files and improvements thrown in with my AI package. It's a real bonus.

Based on the fact that jetways in FSX are natively programmed to work for any AI plane that has an EXITS section and appropriate doors configurations in its aircraft.cfg file, I'd be reasonably confident that UT2 are indeed probably just scouting through all the aircraft.cfg files on the PC and then merely commenting out the EXITS section with //. But, of course, I am really only guessing.

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:43pm
I have a couple off add on airports with the parking spaces already assigned to airliners and did have to switch the Traffic 360 afcad from .bgl to .off because I saw 2 jetways at each gate with one moving and not the default one so if it would work like you say, shouldn't the jetway start automatically to with an add on or default airplane placed at the gate? think about that a while and see if you can find an answer to that,

herman
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:08pm
Freddy,

I can only think that you are correct in suggesting that UT2 does a 'batch editing' job on all of the aircraft.cfg files in the user system. I would have been able to do this in the 'old days' when I was regularly using the good-old BASIC programming system in DOS to look thru files and make edits as required. Nowadays, using NOTEPAD, it wouldn't take long if you use 'Find and Replace' function on all airliner aircraft.cfg files.

As I don't quite understand what Herman is now asking about, I will leave you to continue this thread.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:26am
Ahh.  That's easy.  You correctly switched the Traffic 360 AFCAD from .bgl to .off.  If you didn't do that then you had DUPLICATED airports, sitting on top of each other ... and that, of course, explains why you saw two jetways.

As for why one jetway worked, but the other did not, even with a plane parked there ... it will be because the requirements for a jetway to move are based on where that plane parks.  If the plane is not in the correct position, even by a little bit, then the jetway won't move.  For a USER plane (the one you are flying), the plane must be parked so that its center point is within the radius of the parking spot.  Now the center point of the plane depends on variables built in to the aircraft.cfg and this is not always necessarily the "middle" of the airplane.  Similar rules apply for a AI planes with the AI plane needing to be parked in the correct location to "trigger" the jetway. Too far forward, the jetway won't work.  Too far back, the jetway won't work.  Just right, the jetway works.  For the TWO airports that you are talking about, the jetway for one of the airports might have been slightly further forward in the AFCAD than the jetway at the second airport.  That would mean that, depending on whichever of those two airport the plane was thinking that it was parked at, one jetway would work, but the other wouldn't. I'd be willing to bet that if you turned the ADD-ON airports to OFF and left the Traffic 360 airport in place, then AI planes parking at the Traffic 360 airport would have working jetways (because they would park in the correct position for THAT airport and jetway).  And, the opposite would also be true ... if you turn the ADD-ON airports to ON and the Traffic 360 airport to OFF, then AI planes parking at the ADD-ON airport would also have working jetways too (because they would park in the correct position for THAT airport and jetway).  But with the TWO airports both on, and duplicated, the AI plane is effectively only parking at ONE of those airports, meaning the jetway for the "other" airport is probably too close or too far away and therefore AI plane is not in the correct position to trigger that airport's jetway.  So one jetway works, but the other does not.

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 5:24am
For the add on airports I understand that, one airport even had 2 jetways behind each other and on some other terminal some jet waysstood free from the terminal building real far, that's how I found out that TRaffic 360 had probably afcads.
The thing I mean however is that with the plane you fly yourself you have to press "CTRL+J" to let the jetway move, for AI traffic they work automatic?
My guess is that both UT2 and Traffic 360 have a line in the program that says something like "if airplane has exits and is parked at gate with jetway then command CTRL+J" and UT2 probably puts the 2 backslashes in front of that line to switch the jetways of, just my thinking but the program is hard coded so probably not possible to change that.

Herman
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:06am
Some addon airports which use the AES system (from Aerosoft?) have moving jetways which operate differently from the standard FSX ones, so be aware of this also.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:55am
I only have EBBR Brussels from aerosoft and replaced all their jetways with moving default fsx ones, I have GSX and find this better since that works on every airport without having to pay extra for credits.

Herman
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 5:30am
It is true that some add-on airports have specially programmed jetways and other features.  This is done, I believe, using scripts (usually .XML), and, in some cases, DLLs.

However, I can assure you, neither Traffic 360 nor UT2 have any of that.  All they do is add AI planes to the sim.  Just AI models, aircraft.cfg files, liveries, and schedules.  No scripts, no DLLs.  As for the AFCADs that Traffic 360 adds, they are normal everyday AFCADs and can be edited using programs such as ADE.  You can open them and edit them yourself ... there's no scripts, or DLLs, or special jetway code in them, in any way.

All the jetways that you see moving to Traffic 360 AI, and UT2 AI do so purely because the AI from these packages has the EXITS section and doors parameters in the aircraft.cfg files for the planes ... and the jetways in FSX, as programmed, respond to that.  There's nothing special here.

As for Ctrl+J, we need to remember that the jetways are programmed only to respond to AI planes ... and the plane you are flying is, obviously, NOT an AI plane.  So, they gave us  the Ctrl+J command, to keep things consistent (it would be silly if the jetways only worked for AI planes and not the USER plane), AND, to give YOU, the user, control over the jetway when you are ready for pushback and when you are finished pulling up and stopping at the gate.  It is important to note though that the user plane must still have an EXITS section and appropriate doors configurations for the jetways to work.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:05am
Freddy,

a particularly perfect summary if I may say so.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:04am
Hmmm, upon re-reading that post, it does sum it up quite nicely if I do say so myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic