This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IS it possible to use a unused landing strip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IS it possible to use a unused landing strip
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 1:10pm
I have not flown for sometime but when i was i wanted to use a local runway that has now closed it was a ww11 production site and was last used 1980s. The main runway is still visible on google earth but buildings and car parks are now very close,is there any way that it can be cleaned up so that it would look like a real landing strip again and taken back to it's former glory to be used on flight sim as i like to start flying again. 

lightyear
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 4:43pm
If you fly VFR then theoretically, you can lend anywhere. I used to quite often when missed the runway and landed alongside. That was before I knew about ILS and the Course button.
johnep
johnep
bigbuzz View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 10:22am
Thanks i have tried that with VFR it's OK but a bit like landing in a fog, and not like landing on a real runway I was more thinking could it be turned into an add on.Retired now so I have a more time on my hands and was looking for a project. Iam still new to computers and still learning but like a challenge, can it be done?   
lightyear
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 11:09am
Re-create the old airfield using Airport Design Editor?
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
bigbuzz View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 3:39pm
Many thanks that's what I would like to do the reality may be a little different as I'am just learning the basics. this is the first time I have done anything like this. As I keep reading and asking questions on google! It will take time, it was a wow when i got a reply and just pleased  that someone read my post and replied but it looks like there is help out there.     
lightyear
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 3:57pm
If you know the official name that the airfield went under when it was in operation then you could do a Google search - e.g. "FSX (airfield name)" - and you may find that someone has already made a usable version of it. Worth a try?
bigbuzz View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:44am
Thanks I will try that,As I was brought up nearby and then worked there for a number of years and still have connections to the site it should not be too difficult to find out. It was not the easiest of places to land and take off from as it is in a valley, it is now an industrial site now but all the old buildings are there most of the runways are visible. Thanks for your time.     
lightyear
bigbuzz View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:44pm
Thanks just as you said googled FSX samlesbury and someone has made a useable free download I will be giving it a go thanks for your time.
lightyear
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:58pm
Good luck - you will be surprised at just how much has been done already by others taking part in our hobby/pastime! What is more, many of them have made their work freely available for others to enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic