This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Import new aiports - TCC hangs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Import new aiports - TCC hangs
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 8:06pm
Hi
I have a problem with the "Import new" procedure to update my airports in TX.
I have the dump file (Airports.dat) created from FSX.
When I select the file, the application stops responding.
I left it running for about half an hour (I know it may take some time) but no success.

I have some new afcads in a folder inside addon scenery (C:\FSX\Addon Scenery\ROS_AFX_X\scenery). The scenery is enabled in FSX library.
System is Windows 7 and TCC is run as administrator.

May anybody please help?

Thanks in advance

Rosario, Italy

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 10:30pm
Can only suggest that you temporarily remove your new afcads from the FSX scenery library BEFORE running the 'Dump airports list'. Then try the new file in TX.
If it works then one of the new afcads is faulty. Adding them back one at a time will show which one is not working.
If it doesn't work then you will have to disable other scenery areas one at a time until the dump file works.

Good luck.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
rosariomanzo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 7:02am
Hi Ray, thanks for your prompt reply
I'll check this evening and will let you know.

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:02am
Huzzah!  A post in the Traffic X forum!  Traffic X lives!

I agree with Ray.  I would have suggested the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR thing, but I see you are already doing that.  So the next thing would be to remove the new airports and do a new dump (as Ray has already suggested) ...

For the record, I have used the "Import New" process in Traffic X a few times now, on Windows 7, and it does work.

Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:18am
Hi Freddy and Ray.
First, thank you for your help.
Sadly, I've been unable to solve the issue.
I have also T360 installed on another machine with the same AFCADS and same issues.
I will try again today. Meanwhile, I've tried "the other way" generating VFR traffic for the new airports using the freeware AIFP.

May I ask how long does TX takes to import the new dump? Is it a matter of few minutes or more?

Again, thank you for your kind help. I will let you know if any progress are made.

Ciao!

SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:19am
I'd recommend submitting a support ticket if you are stuck via http://www.justflight.com/support-contact so as our team can investigate.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:21am
When I create a new airport dump I think I get about 25000 listed airports. My "airports.dat" file is 4480 Kb. Importing this dump on my system (not particularly high-speed specification) takes about 3 minutes so I guess that, for some reason, your "airports.dat" file is not creating correctly.
"airports.dat" is a text file so you could (if you have half an hour to spare) open it and look for any obvious anomalies. Unfortunately, there seems to be no logic to the order in which airports get listed in this file so it is difficult to look for particular entries.

Do you get an odd comments in the "airports.txt" file that also gets created? I get these which DO NOT cause any problems.
"   no hold short points"
"   runway with unsupported surface type"
"   no runways"

Have you previously ever used the TX TCC import dump procedure successfully?
I presume that TX uses a compiler to convert the "airports.dat" file to a new "airports.tcc" file in ...\Data\Airports folder.
At the same time it seems to create loads of files "BglCachex.bin" in the ...\Data\AirportCache folder (I get 161 files). All of these files get a date stamp of the date you try to use the import function.
Do you get ANY of these files?

Does AIFP recognise your new/ non-FSX airfields satisfactorily?

Try re-installing the Traffic Toolbox SDK?

Please keep us informed.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:50am
Ray,

I've opened the .dat file and there are no evident anomalies.

I also get the same messages you listed in the .txt file.

It's the first time I use the import procedure and yes, I get a lot of .bin files in the bgl cache.

AIFP recognizes the new airports with no issues at all.

I'll try this afternoon and will keep you informed.

Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:02am
Guys,
nothing to do. It doesn't work.
The strange thing is that neither TX nor T360 work. And I've tried on both XP and Win7-64.
I guess it's something wrong on my side. 
On the XP machine I have a pretty candid FSX install with just TX and my personal AFCAD folder.
I've even tried to manipulate the standard fs10airports.dat, adding a single entry for LIAF (which is not in the standard FSX), no luck. After pressing import, TCC hangs and no progress bar appears.
I'm still happy with both TX and T360, and I've put a lot of work to get my skies crowded in a realistic way.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:19am
Originally posted by rosariomanzo rosariomanzo wrote:

Guys,
nothing to do. It doesn't work.
The strange thing is that neither TX nor T360 work. And I've tried on both XP and Win7-64.
I guess it's something wrong on my side. 
On the XP machine I have a pretty candid FSX install with just TX and my personal AFCAD folder.
I've even tried to manipulate the standard fs10airports.dat, adding a single entry for LIAF (which is not in the standard FSX), no luck. After pressing import, TCC hangs and no progress bar appears.
I'm still happy with both TX and T360, and I've put a lot of work to get my skies crowded in a realistic way.

Sorry to hear about lack of success.

I take it the .bin files are the old ones i.e. not with today's date? If they are old then it is the compiling that is in error.
If I knew how it could be done I would suggest posting your "airports.dat" which I would be willing to test in my system but I am afraid I don't know how to do this type of posting.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:22am
Maybe I can share it from my dropbox, putting a link here on the forum.
I will be able to do this after work, hoping to get a good internet connection (I work away from home during the week).
Will let you know.
Thanks!

Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 5:48pm
Hi,
you can download my airports dump here, if you want:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fgtbrxd6xtbkb3/airports.zip?dl=0

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:44pm
Got the files - will test as soon as possible and advise results.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by rosariomanzo rosariomanzo wrote:

Hi,
you can download my airports dump here, if you want:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fgtbrxd6xtbkb3/airports.zip?dl=0

OK so, having made safety backups of my own installation, I used your "airports.dat" file in the "Import new" function in the TX TCC. It took a few seconds to read the file then another 15 seconds at the most to complete the required action.
So, the airports dump file is OK which leaves us with the compiler not working. I believe that the compiler in question resides at -

\TrafficX\Presets\Data\Schedules\Compiler\TrafficDatabaseBuilder.exe

In my installation, this appears to be a copy of the MS FSX SDK file -

\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\TrafficdatabaseBuilder.exe

Suggest you look at the properties of both of your versions of these files to see if they are the same. My system lists the TX version as follows (select file - right click - select Properties) -

Traffic Database Builder
227Kb
10/05/2007 21:05
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 3:04pm
Hi Ray,
I will check ASAP.
Thank you very much indeed!

Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:57am
Nothing to do, I surrender!

Thanks Ray and Freddy for your valuable help, I'll try submitting a ticket to JF.

RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:16pm
Sorry that your problem is un-solved.

Will be very interested if JF come up with an answer.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:11am
Excellent support there Ray. You've gone above and beyond in an effort to help. Well done. Quite interesting that the .dat file worked fine for you.

I too will be very interested if JF come up with an answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic