This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DH.104 Dove & Devon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixture Control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixture Control
    Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 5:24am
I've scanned the panel and the manual and haven't found information on mixture control. Is it automatic, or am I just missing something?

I have to say thank you for a great aeroplane. Terrific graphics, interesting systems, a great hand-flyer.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 3:08pm
It's automatic. Automatic Mixture Control (AMC) was a feature of all Gipsy Queen engines from the 1930's onwards. The system also precluded the requirement for carb anti-ice, in case you were looking for that missing switch too! Of course things may be different in the sim, where strangely even fuel injected engines seem to suffer from carb icing... Wacko

Not in front of my sim box at the moment so can't recall whether the quadrant contains the weak mixture line painted on the throttle box - basically at a certain throttle setting the engine goes to weak mixture automagically - the long range cruise setting. 
Again, due to sim limitations I doubt this is effectively modelled in this aircraft.

Another factoid of note is that Gipsy Queens are immune to shock cooling. The inverted six ain't no Lycoming or Continental... 
Mike Cameron View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 7:22pm
This is probably the simulator and/or hardware controls but I needed to put my hardware mixture controls into the full forward/rich position for the fuel pressure gauge needles to move into the green per the tutorial.  On my system, once I did this the engines started for me without issue.

Mike
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:54pm
That is common to all auto mixture addons where the FDE is still within the sim. Auto mixture sets the on at 100% and off at <99% it's done so cutoff can still work.
Ratty View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 11:27pm
snave:

Thanks for the info. I hadn't actually got around to missing the carb heat, but that raises another question:
given that the tendency for a carb to ice up is both temperature and humidity dependent, how does that system work? Clearly time for some research into Gypsy Queens.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 5:44pm
Nothing particularly clever, they simply bolted it to the back of the engine where it was protected, and fitted an optional warm air circuit - that reduced power quite considerably. 

That, and pilots of those days knew better than to fly into icing, and probably had a better idea of where and when it might occur.
Merlin59 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:29pm
Just bought this plane and was about to ask about the mixture levers myself. Glad I saw this first though. Thanks for the info snave. Google seemed to have no clue, suprise, suprise! Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic