This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff senior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10
    Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 2:07pm
I have high spec. computer with Windows 7 Home edit. and triple monitors, I keep getting messages from
Microsoft telling me to reserve a Windows 10 free upgrade. I have a lot of add ones for FS9 & FSX. and I
wonder if they will all work with Windows 10 or if there will be problems?
Has anyone any experience of this??
Geoff Senior
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:11pm
it seems to be hit and miss..... some I have spojke to are having issues some say no problems at all.. I have upgraded our Laptop that we use for work but my sim machine is working fine with WIN8.1, so I cant see the point of rocking the boat. Maybe in a few years when I build the next one but not for now.....
geoff senior View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff senior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 3:15pm
Thanks for your reply, I will probably stay as I am for the moment
Geoff
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 6:47pm
The principle of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' applies here. I too keep getting the invite to upgrade to W10 but I'm happy with W7HP and could not face a complete re-install of all the add-ons.

I'll stick with W7 until M$ no longer supports it.
Must Fly!
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:00pm
You folks may want to check out this site.

Ultimate Outsider

The GWX Control Panel does a good job of eliminating the pesky Windows 10 reminders, and you can always reverse the setup and install Windows 10 at a later date.

Cheers

--WH
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 10:49am
You chaps may be interested to know, that if you wish to upgrade your rig's beyond Skylake, you will have no choice but to opt for W10.

Quote Soon, when you buy a new PC, it won't support Windows 7 or 8. Microsoft has announced a change to its support policy that lays out its plans for future updates to its older operating systems, and the new rules mean that future PC owners with next-generation Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm processors will need to use Windows 10.

Quote "Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming 'Kaby Lake' silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming '8996' silicon, and AMD's upcoming 'Bristol Ridge' silicon."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 12:15pm
W10 is working fine on our laptop that I upgraded, I think my biggest fear going forward is the addon on my sim PC that may have issues with WIN10, these are not just flightsim but other things like F1, trucksims, WRC and the like, some of which are a few years old...
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 9:32pm
I have been struggling for months to get FSX working in Win  10, I have tried compatability modes, none of which seem to solve my problems. The nearest I have got to a working FSX allows the programme to run and the screen that allows selection of airport, aircraft and time appears, having made my choices I click OK and the screen goes black, once the data is loaded the screen reappears and I can use the sim , however, if I wish to change aircraft or airport etc, the screen returns to black and stays that way. I had win 10 on two separate drives, I changed one back to win 7 to enable me to use FSX, sadly it no longer works and will not allow me to repair or reinstall  FSX. I really don't wish to reformat as I have too much data on the drive, any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Mike
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
clivedrake View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clivedrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:14pm
I have moved my "workhorse" PC from Win 7 to Win 10 no problem.  By "workhorse" I mean it runs Open Office, Fire Fox and Thunderbird i.e. basic software.

But, I then tried to move my dedicated FSX PC to Win 10 which was a disaster.  I simply had a black screen when i tried to run FSX.  I uninstalled FSX using CCleaner, re-installed FSX and again had a black screen.  I posted on the MS help page and was advised to see if Dx 9 was present, it wasn't so I had to download Dx repair software from MS. 

The whole thing was a mess so eventually I managed to return to Win 7 which is where I have stayed.  The PC only goes on the internet for downloads etc so MS's invitation to migrate to Win 10 is rigorously ignored.

I think that for basic software PC's Win 10 is OK, but if you have anything "out of the ordinary" i.e. FSX on the HD you are stuffed.  In the Gatwick Flight Sim Group we have people who are running FSX and Win 10 comfortably, but they have removed Win 7 and then installed Win 10 and then FSX i.e. a completely fresh install.

I hope this helps, Good Luck.

Tregarth
Clive
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:52pm
Thanks for response, Having got FSX installed (albeit not working very well) I then tried to install service packs, win 10 kept returning error 1606 and could not find help to solve in win 10. So I am back to square 1. Windows 7 doesn,t seem to like being reinstalled without a lot of messing around so I am going to try shrinking my Hdd partition to create a second one and then reformat that partition and then reinstall windows 7, fingers crossed yet again
Cheers Mike
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 5:36pm
It would be interesting to see if people with new win10 only machines dont have any fsx issues..may be it doesnt work well with old remnants from an upgrade..
fat-al View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat-al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:26pm
Hello all,

I was just about to post regarding this...
I have built a new PC and can't decide whether or not to install W10.
FSX is a must but I also want to get the best out of other releases which are W10 compatible.

Are the W10 issues with the boxed version or FSX SE too?

Al
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Intel i7-6700k 4.0GHz
Corsair H110I GTX.
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming.
Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR4 2133MHz.
Nvidia Geforce GTX980TI 6GB
2x SAMSUNG 2.5" 500GB.
1x WD BLACK 1TB.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 4:53pm
I did go for windows 10  as told by bCensoredCensoredCensoredy Microsoft did say it would be the last  O/S it would just be up date's from now on. I am still using HeartF/S9 with a lot of add-on'sHeart . but  I put windows 10 on the PC lost all my add-on's AngryAngryCrythen I assked the man from shop I had the PC from to put W7 back on the PC.
BUT IF I TRY NOW TO PUT FS9 ON.  IT WILL NOT WORK. IT'S HAD A NEW HARD DRIVE OF 1TB WITH new install WINDOWS 7 I DID PUT ON FS 9, IT WILL NOT RUN AT ALL NOW. BEFORE YOU SAY IT PUT ON F/S-X. ON  I DO HAVE A PC WITH FS-X ON ANOTHER PC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. so now I now have a PC that just sits there a wast of space. my be a case of file 13 for the PC.if iI can't get anyone to help me fix it .so if their is someone who knows and they can tell me and help me as to how I have gone so wrong.GEOFFERSCryCryCry
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 4:59pm
Don't install FS9 to Program Files.  Install it to c:\FS9 or similar.

Also, disable UAC on Windows, and ensure you run FS9 "as Administrator", and that should likely work.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 11:05pm
Slopey when I put Flightsimular 2004 Disc 1 in to Dive it C it goes into auto play. at no time am  I able to see the drive it is going on. I HAD NO probleme when I first put put on. I only have the one Hard drive.        FS-X went on a Windows7 PC with out any problems and to cap it al my FS-9 sotware works fine. on my laptop. so I will not change the laptop Windows 7 O/S. I may be mad but not that mad. why did FS-9 work on laptop and PC with  W/7 and still works. when the laptop was new.  so I am at a loss now on how to fix it. even when I did get FS-9  loaded  on the PC. no adon's will install aircraft or senerary 

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:28am
Select "Custom Install" rather than express to pick the install location.

Even better, cancel the installer coming up from autoplay, then go into the CD drive via Windows Explorer, then run the Setup as Admin, and choose custom install.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by GEOFFERS GEOFFERS wrote:

Slopey when I put Flightsimular 2004 Disc 1 in to Dive it C it goes into auto play. at no time am  I able to see the drive it is going on. I HAD NO probleme when I first put put on. I only have the one Hard drive.        FS-X went on a Windows7 PC with out any problems and to cap it al my FS-9 sotware works fine. on my laptop. so I will not change the laptop Windows 7 O/S. I may be mad but not that mad. why did FS-9 work on laptop and PC with  W/7 and still works. when the laptop was new.  so I am at a loss now on how to fix it. even when I did get FS-9  loaded  on the PC. no adon's will install aircraft or senerary 

For security reasons, Windows 10 disables the CD-ROM verification service so FS9 will not run, no matter where you install it on disk. You can manually enable the service, there is a help page about it on microsoft.com, but Microsoft say this makes your system less secure. The other option is to use a CD crack version. As you are a legal owner of fs9 this is only slightly bending the rules.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 1:58pm
Thanks kevnh thaks for the info I did try going down the route as given by Slopey but that did not work. a freind has a new PC with Windows 10 on it FS-X went on after  few hic-ups [I'm yet to see if the add-ons fit om] kevnh,  so i still can use FS-9 as it on my laptop I just use it on the main PC useing a 4 PC KVM SWITCH.on the plus side I do not have to spend a lot of time putting all the addons on the PC.all I have to do is put a few senerary on the laptop   GEOFFERS

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic