This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VFR Flight Planning (Navigation)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VFR Flight Planning (Navigation)
    Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 7:09pm
Hi guys!

Had a flying lesson today - was supposed to be doing a navigation excercise to plan and fly a route down to the South Coast and back but the deteriorating weather conditions led us to doing two circuits before abondoning the flying althogether and heading back indoors!

We did some ground school on planning a route which I did find interesting but a little confusing.  I know you use a navigation computer (or whizzy wheel!) to calculate your track/groundspeed, but I'm confused as to how to put these together, plus my instructor said as an alternative there are other calculations that can be done involving sine/cosine and the "SOHCAHTOA" rule - which I remember from GCSE Maths!

Can anyone here who knows how, or has studied this for their PPL, tell me the appropriate formulae for calculating a desired track from, say point A to point B, taking into account wind drift etc?

I know it's a complex thing to ask but it would help a lot if I could understand this!
Kind regards,
Tom
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 7:20pm
I have some excellent documents that my instructor created, which explain how to do it all without a whizz wheel. I managed to master it and hit one of the points on my route within two seconds of the time I estimated to be there...so it must be good Smile

I'll send them over shortly
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 7:27pm
Cheers, Martyn.  Would appreciate it.  I'm supposed to have another lesson tomorrow seeing as today's was a bit of a wash out and my instructor said he'd bring in some sheets on it, but the more info the merrier!

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Tom
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Can anyone here who knows how, or has studied this for their PPL, tell me the appropriate formulae for calculating a desired track from, say point A to point B, taking into account wind drift etc?

I know it's a complex thing to ask but it would help a lot if I could understand this!

Your desired track is whatever the line on your chart (adjusted for mag variation) is from A to B. What you need to adjust to maintain this track is your heading, which you adjust for drift.

A simple way to work this out:

Divide the mean wind velocity at the altitude you are cruising by your TAS (in miles/minute) to give your max drift.

EG: Wind velocity of 20kts, at a TAS of 120kts (2nm/minute) would give 20/2, so a max drift of 10degrees.

Then a simple rule of thumb can be used. If the wind is on the nose, apply no drift. 30degrees off the nose apply 1/2 the drift (in this case 5deg), 45deg off 3/4, 60-90deg apply the full drift.

So, as an addendum (I was in a rush earlier). Say your desired track is 075, and the wind is north easterly at 30kts. You are flying at 180kts TAS. The max drift is 30/(180kts/60)=10degrees. The wind is 30degrees off the nose from the left, so you use half the max drift, 5 degrees, and apply it into the wind. Therefore to track 075, you fly a heading of 070.Smile
alanb View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 9:30am
Hi
In my day the above was known as the one in sixty rule - ie for every 60 knots of true airspeed  1 knot of crosswind would cause 1 degree of drift
Best of luck
Alan 
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:49am
Thanks for your help guys.  Had another lesson yesterday and planned a short VFR route and flightplan calculating drift and the headings to fly and I think I've got it!

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Tom
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Thanks for your help guys.  Had another lesson yesterday and planned a short VFR route and flightplan calculating drift and the headings to fly and I think I've got it!

It all becomes easier with practice.Smile
alanb View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 8:32am
Hi
Say you are on a VFR cross country and you don't know what the wind is.
If you pick two landmarks (a church tower, edge of a town, river bend - you know the sort of thing) which are on your track one a few miles ahead and one even further - if the distant landmark moves to the right in relation to the closer then you are drifting right so you need to steer left a bit more. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious !
Regards
Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic