This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F27 Friendship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Altimeter Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Altimeter Gauge
    Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 8:25am
Sorry for the double post, but my previous comment got sort of buried in another thread...

The new altimeter gauge is almost impossible to read, especially in a normal pilot view.

Why was this gauge changed? 

Admittedly, the previous three pointer type gauge was tricky to interpret.  (As an aside, a friend who used to fly F27s for Ansett, said that that particular altimeter caused a number of incidents in real life)

But it was usable.

The new single pointer type is VERY difficult to read, the numbers showing the '1000s of feet are waaaay too small.  (My fix is to create a new camera view, zoomed in.  A tad inconvenient!)

Any chance of a small fix (replacement altimeter gauge say..) ?

Otherwise very happy with SP1, mind you, I was pretty happy before!

chris from oz
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:09am
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure why the gauge was changed but your feedback has been passed to the F27 project manager and developers to look at. 

Thanks
Martyn

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
mgr View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:30am
+1 Star

Would be nice to have the old Altimeter back.

Marcel

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 4:21pm
We are currently implementing a new altimeter Thumbs Up
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
flyforever View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 7:13pm
great news.
tony
FV
Merlin59 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Nice to hear from here as well.
mgr View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Thanks for listening Clap Clap Clap

Will it be like the old one:
http://rlv.zcache.com/altimeter_classic_round_sticker-rcbed96bad0394ca1acac6bc737aae5ee_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

or will it be a "normal" one, with also digits for the altitude, various Fokker-27 were fitted with these?

Also, as pointed out by others, could the developer also take a look at the "glide-slope", stick/flags in the ADI? (Was wondering if the "G" and the "G/S" flags, should be connected to the ILS knob?) Meaning if you have not selected the ILS it has no use that you have flags of the ILS??

Thanks,

Marcel

kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 11:27am
How about correcting the RPM gauge markings? The current ones have a long red arc, when it really should be a red radial at 15000 rpm. At the moment normal takeoff and climb rpm is in the red range according to the gauge.

I would also echoe Marcel's comment about the ADI flags for ILS. They shouldn't be there unless you have ILS selected and no valid ILS tuned.

Kevin
Deltahotel View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deltahotel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:32pm
Well that image of the old one is seriously confusing.
The 1000ft needle should be 1/3 of the way between the 1 and 2, and the 10000ft needle should at least be off its stop on the way to the first mini division.
Dave H
slowbird View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 5:15pm
I am a new owner of the F-27. Hopefully we will have a readable altimeter very soon, with the current one this plane - in many ways very good - is pretty useless for me. Thanks for listening your customers!
slowbird View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by mgr mgr wrote:

Oh, sorry, I forgot this in my previous post. Embarrassed

I would vote for this one!Thumbs Up
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 10:10pm
I currently use a generic 2d altimeter as a pop up window, including the autopilot controls from another airplane, since the developers insist on not providing 2d popup windows. 
tony
FV
A.Fokker View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.Fokker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:57pm
Hi can you tell me how you did it?
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 1:44pm
If google "info gauge for fsx", you find a small gauge file that adds transparent altitude, airspeed, heading information in a 2 d window. In the same window, I have a autopilot and bendix radios. Of course, you need to create a new 2d window, or use the one that just flight provides. I use fspanel studio, which makes it very easy.
tony
FV
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 8:59am
I've reported the ADI/ILS and RPM marking issues to the developer.

Here is a screenshot of the new altimeter:

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Tuppy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:26am
Much better !

Thanks Martyn

chris from oz
slowbird View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 3:44pm
Looking good. Hopefully we´ll have it soon!

Do you give us just a simple .gau-file or a service pack?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by slowbird slowbird wrote:

Looking good. Hopefully we´ll have it soon!

Do you give us just a simple .gau-file or a service pack?

Several things are being fixed/improved so it'll be a service pack.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:19am
Regarding the ILS indications on the ADI, the developers have provided this reply:

Quote They appear when there is no power, they appear if the ILS is not tuned. They disappear when ILS is tuned. The ILS select knob is used to bring up the ILS pointers in the gauge not the flags. The flags indicate if ILS is available.

Please let me know if you have any reference material which suggests that the current configuration is incorrect.

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 2:46pm
Instrument flags mean there is a problem (i.e. power loss or tuned ILS signal not received). But if you have tuned a VOR frequency you shouldn't see ILS flags. Usually the tuning head will output a discrete signal to indicate to the flight instrument system that the frequency is either a VOR or ILS value. This is used to switch the failure detection logic. As this setup has an ILS switch that might be used to switch the logic instead.

I don't have an F.27 manual reference but it is fairly standard flight instrument indication in aircraft of this era. Maybe an ex-F.27 pilot could confirm?

This youtube video shows no ADI flags at any stage of the flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNpl-pn16Bc

Also, I've never seen an ADI which showed ALT HOLD on or off like this one. Usually when you switch the FD to Alt Hold the only indication you get is the FD bars become active rather than following the pitch knob. I thought it was a warning flag at first.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic