This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A little help
    Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 12:11am
Hi Guys,

Here is something that i have never known. We all know about the Nvidia 8800's well i was having alook around tonight and saw a Nvidia GeForce GTX260 OC 896MB Graphics Card which i saw was roughly the same price as a EVGA 8800GTS 512MB GDDR3 Graphics card, Well what i want to know is, What are the differents? i take it the GTX260 isn't apart as the 8 Series or am i wrong? Which is faster and better for Flight sim?

Also while i am on this Topic. i was looking on Ebuyer and looked at the highest price 8 Series which was the EVGA 8800GTS ACS3 SSC 640MB Edition graphics card which was £265. i take it this is the BEST 8 series Nvidia did? as if im trueful i want the best 8800 or 8 series there is out, As for the 9 Series i still keep hearing they are lower the the best 8 series.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to anyone coming back to me.

Edit: Just put myself by 2 PNY GeForce 9600GT XLR8 OC 512MB Graphics card the whole price was £180 Shocked They are both SLI Ready so running them SLI how would my Flight sim look? Cant  believe how cheap they both was tho.
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 12:40am
Quote i take it the GTX260 isn't apart as the 8 Series or am i wrong? Which is faster and better for Flight sim?

Correct. The GTX 260.

Quote i was looking on Ebuyer and looked at the highest price 8 Series which was the EVGA 8800GTS ACS3 SSC 640MB Edition graphics card which was £265. i take it this is the BEST 8 series Nvidia did? as if im trueful i want the best 8800 or 8 series there is out, As for the 9 Series i still keep hearing they are lower the the best 8 series.

Shop around. Wink  I can usually better their prices.

The GTX is the best series nVidia do. Where did you read the 8xxx series was the best?

As I said in a previous thread on this subject, the 9xxx superseded the 8xxx series, and now the GTX has superseded the 9xxx series.

It's mainly due to Vista that this has happened.

7xxx series cards are DX9 only.

Vista shipped with DX10.0. Out came the 8xxx series.

MS screwed up, added a new feature to DX and called it DX10.1, but unlike in the past where a simple driver update brought the card up to spec, it required new hardware, so the 9xxx series was born.

Now nVidia have figured the problems with Vista, they've released the GTX series. It's a second gen DX10.1 card.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
AirbusLad View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Quote i take it the GTX260 isn't apart as the 8 Series or am i wrong? Which is faster and better for Flight sim?

Correct. The GTX 260.

Quote i was looking on Ebuyer and looked at the highest price 8 Series which was the EVGA 8800GTS ACS3 SSC 640MB Edition graphics card which was £265. i take it this is the BEST 8 series Nvidia did? as if im trueful i want the best 8800 or 8 series there is out, As for the 9 Series i still keep hearing they are lower the the best 8 series.

Shop around. Wink  I can usually better their prices.

The GTX is the best series nVidia do. Where did you read the 8xxx series was the best?

As I said in a previous thread on this subject, the 9xxx superseded the 8xxx series, and now the GTX has superseded the 9xxx series.

It's mainly due to Vista that this has happened.

7xxx series cards are DX9 only.

Vista shipped with DX10.0. Out came the 8xxx series.

MS screwed up, added a new feature to DX and called it DX10.1, but unlike in the past where a simple driver update brought the card up to spec, it required new hardware, so the 9xxx series was born.

Now nVidia have figured the problems with Vista, they've released the GTX series. It's a second gen DX10.1 card.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Thanks for that very helpful post Vulcan. That answers all i need to know about all this 8 and 9 series cards.

Ah just on some odd websites really vulcan. i shouldn't take notice apart from on here Wink.

So 1 more thing. Like i put in my other post. i have put by 2 PNY 9600GT OC 512MB Cards. I am planning to run them SLI how would they help Flight sim? also just to add i know 32Bit dont take the whole 4GB of ram something like 3.5 but i am adding the extra 2GB so all in all how would 4GB of ram and my 2 9600GT's SLI help my Flight Sim?

Only reson i am asking is i want to make sure i am doing good and not just wasting my money .

Thanks mate.
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 12:50pm
Quote i have put by 2 PNY 9600GT OC 512MB Cards. I am planning to run them SLI how would they help Flight sim?

Not double the frame rate. My card is SLI, and whilst there is a noticeable difference, it isn't an extra cards worth, but mainly because FS isn't designed to use it. In other games that do truly support SLi, there is quite a significant difference, especially at higher resolutions, but again it isn't a full cards worth.

Quote also just to add i know 32Bit dont take the whole 4GB of ram something like 3.5 but i am adding the extra 2GB so all in all how would 4GB of ram and my 2 9600GT's SLI help my Flight Sim?

Be aware you might have problems.

I can set my system so 4Gb of RAM is available (XP sees 3.2 Gb), but FS crashes quickly and for no apparent reason in this config.

If I set my motherboard to support 32-bit OS, it "reserves" 1.4 Gb of memory to system hardware devices, and reports only 2,866 Mb as actually usable. The OS only sees this much, and runs fine.

EDIT: I see you have 2Gb now. You won't really see much improvement.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
AirbusLad View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 8:10pm
Thanks mate.

Well i went on your info and as i dont want problems i stayed with my 2GB and just bought 2 cards and a motherboard that supported SLI as my old mobo wasnt up for the job. Just fitted in my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo and everything is gr8 so far. I am however shocked at how big the 9600GT OC's are Shockedi haven't fitted 1 in yet as im off out soon but i have my fingerd crossed i can fit 1 at the least . i do have a big case too.

1 thing mate. I haven't had this problem b4 but my desktop seems to be cutting off abit off of the sides. I.E Looking at my Flight simulator desktop logo its cutting off the MIR off of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Why is this?

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 8:43pm
It's a bug in the FS splash screen positioning.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
AirbusLad View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 1:51am
Opps, Looks like i had it on the wrong screen sittings Embarrassed.

Vulcan or infact anyone here, Can i ask 1 more thing that is bugging me abit and most likely wont sleep tonight. B4 i left my home i put in my 9600GT (I just put it in the PCI-E like i normal card) but i got a screen up telling me something like (If i remember right) ' my card is not getting enough power, So to save it from getting damaged its lowered some settings) Well i turned it off, Looked at the card and saw it had a 2 Pin plug (May even have another plug somewhere round the back of the card if i look harder) So im guessing i have to hook a 2-pin cable from my PSU to her for more power? i have a 560Watt PSU so im sure thats enought to run one.

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic