This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - purpose of "de-rated" (TO1/TO2) takeoff thrust?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

purpose of "de-rated" (TO1/TO2) takeoff thrust?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: purpose of "de-rated" (TO1/TO2) takeoff thrust?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 11:33pm
Hi, I was just wondering what the purpose of "de-rated" as in the settings "TO1" and "TO2" is for takeoff thrust. I have very indepth understanding of why "flex" thurst is used/ the benefits of reducing take-off thrust, and am therefore confused as to why the method where "TO1" and "TO2" is also available, especially because it is less accurate than assumed temperature and thus less efficient. Please write back!!!

Thanks,
Sam

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 11:50pm
Hi,

It's nothing to do with efficiency or anything like that - it's to do with reducing thrust, and reducing engine wear as a result.

I hate de-rate and flex. I'm all for using as much power as possible, because you need it if the brown stuff hits the fan. You can't be there waiting for the turbine to spool up (in the case of FLEX) right when you need it, because all the time you're losing airspeed.

This is obvious, but you move the throttle levers forward, you get a certain amount of thrust.

Assume the throttles are at idle. You get 20% N1 rotation.

At full TO thrust, you get 103% N1.

With de-rate, what it does is reduce the actual thrust rating of the engine.

Assume you took TO-1 de-rate, which hypothetically reduced the thrust rating of the engine from 22k to 20k.

You open the throttle levers fully again, only this time, because of the de-rate, you only see 95% N1.

Note that you can NOT push the throttles forward any further - you've got all the thrust you're going to get.

Now in an engine-out scenario, this is bad, because you've limited the thrust rating of the engine. It is capable of producing 22k lbs of thrust, but you've restricted it to 20k lbs.

Assume now you took TO-2 thrust de-rate. You've limited the engine now to 18k lbs of thrust.

Again, you open the throttles fully, but this time only see 88% N1.

Again, in the event of an engine out, you can't open the throttles any further, so you're now stuck with 18k lbs of thrust until you do something with the de-rate.

De-rated thrust is typically used at light loads, but IMHO you're better knowing the performance of the aircraft in this situation.

Once you've lifted off, there is nothing at all to say that you can't throttle back, and effectively fly the aircraft seat-of-the-pants.

Too many simmers think LNAV and VNAV rule, and FLEX is the only way to takeoff, but because they're not contemplating failures, and are unaware of what reduced thrust really means, they think it is the only way to fly, and anything else is wrong.

Some RW airlines state to use FLEX at every opportunity, but all the pilots I know throw that rule out the window. They want everything the thing has got to get airborne.

Interestingly, the pilots who favor FLEX are all young (less than 30 years old) and generally haven't flown anything other than Boeing or Airbus.

The older guys who flew things like Viscounts, Tridents etc.. don't like to use de-rated or FLEX thrust because of the performance penalty involved in doing so.

In any case, if you de-rate, you use more runway than you would otherwise, which reduces the available braking distance. Yes, you figure the numbers that say you take x to takeoff and y to stop at V1, but that assumes certain things. Nothing wrong with having more stopping distance than required.

The other point is that by using the full thrust available, you get to V1 quicker, there is less time for a fault before V1 and a potential stop, before getting airborne.

Statistics have shown that generally, a GO is safer than a STOP, so by extending the time on the ground, you're actually increasing the time for a failure before V1, which isn't necessarily the best option (see the statistics).

Hopefully that sheds some more light on it for you.

My opinion: use all thrust available. You can always throttle back when airborne, but you can't increase thrust when de-rating.

* De-rating from 22k to 18k means a 19% reduction in available thrust (near enough 1/5th). That's a lot of thrust!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
SEM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 12:21am
Hi, you somewhat answered my question, but I'm still confused about something.

I understand the purpose of "assumed temperature" or "flex" thrust thrust, and how the philosophy is that its increases in fuel cost are much less than the decrease in the engine maintenance costs it saves.

However, if a more effective means of reducing takeoff thrust is "assumed temperature", (using small temperature measurements as it does can make the distance of the set thrust very close/ precise to the economical thrust setting for the particular takeoff scenario), then why is the BLOCK derate (TO1, TO2) option available? Since it can only offer three thrust settings, it would be almost a matter of luck that one would be spot-on the economical thrust setting. From my logic I think this would make it almost entirely a more costly way to de-rate engines for take-off.

Does my question make sense?

Sam
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 12:30am
Yes.

There are tables for de-rate as for FLEX. Note that you can NOT de-rate and FLEX at the same time!!!!! This is a critical point.

Not all aircraft can FLEX and/or de-rate. As you point out, FLEX is more "accurate", but the idea is the same really; just a different way of achieving it.

In the days of aircraft such as the 707, instead of FLEXing or de-rating, the FE (Flight Engineer) would calculate target values for N1/N2, for TO and climb power.

That kind of aircraft had three thrust settings: TO, Climb Phase 1 (to acceleration altitude) then Climb Phase 2 (after the aircraft was cleaned up). He would then monitor engine parameters, and tweak the power as necessary.

The main difference between the two is that FLEX reduces TO thrust without limiting performance - you have the option to slam the thrust lever to the firewall and get maximum power. You can't do that with de-rate.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 1:14am
Here's a quick example of being unable to FLEX, even though TORA (Take-Off Runway Available) is greater than I require.

I'm just planning a flight so I'll use the actual numbers.

Aircraft: MD-82.

Aircraft ZFW is 121,500 lbs (55.2 T).

Trip length: 1,244.6 nm (approx. 2 hrs 45 mins @ M0.75).

Fuel load is 27,806 lbs (12.6 T) so my final TOW is 55.2+12.6 = 67.8 T

So...

I'm using RW27R at Heathrow for a WOBUN2F departure. RW length is 3,901 m so I dig out the chart for 3,800m runway (the runway is 101m or 330 ft longer than I need it to be).

I'm using ISA conditions for this flight as it is a test-flight with a new update.

OAT will be +15°.

I look up 67.8 T on my chart. FLEX temp is: (NA) - I can't flex because I couldn't meet the required performance, even though my actual runway length is greater. At these weights, I wouldn't want to FLEX anyway - an engine failure at V1 could be bad news, without restricting available thrust on the remaining engine.

If I was able to de-rate (not possible on this type), then assuming I had an engine failure, I couldn't demand more power as I'd already be at the limit.

One thing I love about this jet is the fact that whilst normal TO EPR is ~1.92, you can still ask for yet more thrust if you firewall the throttles. Some airlines call it emergency thrust, and it permits an EPR of 2.20 for a short duration (way outside normal operating limits, but it is available, unlike on some aircraft). I digress...

My point is that de-rate is worse IMHO than FLEX, as it limits the options. I think it is bad enough having to wind in more power on the remaining engine with FLEX, without having to worry about changing the engine rating to get more thrust - it's precious time you don't necessarily have.

I might be wrong, but I think it is possible to de-rate when you can't flex????

Another example:

Aircraft empty weight: 81,566 lbs (37 T).

Assume a trip length of 300 nm (we're positioning empty).

Let's take 5T of fuel. TOW = 42 T.

According to the shortest RW chart, I can FLEX, assuming an OAT of +49°.

The result is that I can either use most of the runway to takeoff, or I can do a normal TO and fly like a rocket.

If we de-rated to TO-2 for example, we open the power, and get much less thrust. Assume an engine failure at V1 - you're stuck with the power you've got.

If we assumed FLEX +49°, we can open tyhe power on the remaining engine, but we have to wait for it to spool up.

If we did a normal TO, we already have maximum power available, so we don't need to do anything.

Hopefully this clarifies the similarities and differences between de-rate and FLEX.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 9:50am

From what I understand... flex is an assumed ambient temperature derate, fooling the system into believing there's less thrust available, so 20 degrees flex provides a degree of thrust reduction that’s always in relation to the outside air temperature. Outside air temperature influences thrust available, so that way you get a thrust reduction in step with true engine power.

TO-1 and TO-2 derates are a way of reducing engine thrust to that of a less powerful engine variant, ‘independent of the environment’, a fixed thrust reduction is regardless of the ambient temperature. So not really just a different way of achieving it [as Pointy said] and would be a relatively greater risk than flex as the percentage of thrust reduction would be a greater chunk of total engine power, for example in a very warm environment.

I THINK!  Needs an expert to clarify, and I certainly am not one. 

Quote With de-rate, what it does is reduce the actual thrust rating of the engine.

Assume you took TO-1 de-rate, which hypothetically reduced the thrust rating of the engine from 22k to 20k.

You open the throttle levers fully again, only this time, because of the de-rate, you only see 95% N1.

Note that you can NOT push the throttles forward any further - you've got all the thrust you're going to get.

I'm not a Boeing man but the press of a button on the FMC gives you full thrust. The pilot would have that page open and ready. Wouldn’t surprise me if there were a button on the yoke also, or perhaps the glare shield? Not to have full thrust available easily would be a mistake.

The other point is that derate is only used if the conditions, aircraft weight, environmental conditions etc, permit it, in which case the chosen derate would be perfectly adequate and provide enough thrust for a single engine takeoff. Otherwise that derate wouldn't be permitted.

Quote Some RW airlines state to use FLEX at every opportunity, but all the pilots I know throw that rule out the window. They want everything the thing has got to get airborne.

If that’s true I'll eat your shorts. Any thrust reduction must enable a takeoff in the event of an engine failure. Unless an expert tells me different. And pilots generally comply with the instructions of the airline.,they don't take off on full power at super light weight with their nose in the air like a fighter, and then throttle back frantically when the passengers scream.

Quote The other point is that by using the full thrust available, you get to V1 quicker, there is less time for a fault before V1 and a potential stop, before getting airborne.

That’s ridiculous Pointy, so you would pilot a 757, under weight and take off on full thrust? Pitched up at 30 plus degrees no doubt and accelerating beyond the appropriate climb out speed? Wouldn’t want to be your passenger.

Quote There are tables for de-rate as for FLEX. Note that you can NOT de-rate and FLEX at the same time!!!!! This is a critical point.

Yes you can! In a Boeing, not permitted in Airbus aircraft. And before you say the bus doesn't have derate, it does, introduced as an extra option a while back.

Doesn't make sense to me, you advocate taking off on full thrust regardless of weight, obviously resulting in excessive nose up, uncomfortable for the passengers, and then throttling back manually. Then complain about waiting for the thrust to spool up with a derate. Lose your engine after you have calmed your horrified passengers by throttling back and the engine remaining would obviously still require time to spool up.

Quote As you point out, FLEX is more "accurate

Is it? Don't think so, because engine power is related to the temperature of the air that enters. Therefore flex is directly proportional to the temperature of that air. If you derate by 20 degrees with flex, then its 20 degrees in relation to the true outside air temperature. If you derate the thrust by a fixed amount regardless of ambient temperature, then your thrust will vary considerably depending on how hot it happens to be that day. And you’ll still be stuck with the same percentage derate.

Think we need Chris to make an appearance and clarify before we embarrass ourselves courtesy of our ignorance.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 1:56pm
Quote The pilot would have that page open and ready. Wouldn’t surprise me if there were a button on the yoke also, or perhaps the glare shield? Not to have full thrust available easily would be a mistake.

No to all three.

The PF has the TO REF page open, displaying the V-Speeds. The PNF has the PROG page open.

To get at the de-rate page, you'd need to enter the THRUST page, then select a new rating. Not what you need when you're busy trying to fly the thing.

The other point is that derate is only used if the conditions, aircraft weight, environmental conditions etc, permit it, in which case the chosen derate would be perfectly adequate and provide enough thrust for a single engine takeoff. Otherwise that derate wouldn't be permitted.

Whilst not incorrect, wouldn't you want all the thrust you can get in an engine out? Whether it can do it or not, surely it's better to be able to climb away better than that by having full thrust?

These arguments go on between RW pilots too. IMHO get all the thrust you can, then you've got as much thrust as possible at the moment #1 decides to blow up in your face, not 3 seconds later after you've pushed the throttles forward.

You're in a bad situation - you're low, you're slow, you've got drag (gear/flap), a high pitch attitude, and a lack of thrust. No point making it worse by reducing that thrust further??

Best regards,

Vulcan.

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:15pm

''Note that you can NOT push the throttles forward any further - you've got all the thrust you're going to get.''

''Now in an engine-out scenario, this is bad, because you've limited the thrust rating of the engine. It is capable of producing 22k lbs of thrust, but you've restricted it to 20k lbs.''

''In any case, if you de-rate, you use more runway than you would otherwise, which reduces the available braking distance''

Every twin engined aircraft is designed to fly comfortably on one engine, so if a aircraft is light and uses reduced take off thrust and loses an engine it can still fly ok, same as if the aircraft is a heavy and uses max take off thrust.
with you saying an aircraft will use up more runway by using de-rated thrust i dont think thats true, unless you are comparing the two at the same weight,
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:17pm
Quote with you saying an aircraft will use up more runway by using de-rated thrust i dont think thats true

It absolutely is true.

Everyone is missing the point - you're reducing performance. Why would you want to make a bad situation worse??

On the MD-82, to FLEX, you need to disable ART (Auto Reserve Thrust).

What does ART do? It automatically full power in the event of an engine failure. It by passes the throttle levers, and opens a second fuel valve, so it operates regardless of the AT mode.

So now, not only have you reduced thrust for takeoff, meaning you take longer to get airborne and use more runway, but now you've disabled a system that would help you in an engine out situation! So now, not only are you using artificially reduced thrust, but the aircraft will NOT automatically apply full thrust on the remaining engine to help get you out of trouble!

It's insanity!!!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:23pm

You dont read everything do you?

i said:
with you saying an aircraft will use up more runway by using de-rated thrust i dont think thats true, unless you are comparing the two at the same weight,

if the aircraft is at say 150k, you will use more runway using de-rate than of course maximum thrust
but if at 140k, using de-rate will use about the same runway length maximum thrust will use at say 170k, ( using the 767 for this)
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:26pm

Whilst not incorrect, wouldn't you want all the thrust you can get in an engine out? Whether it can do it or not, surely it's better to be able to climb away better than that by having full thrust?

You might prefer it, but you don't need it. All you need is sufficient thrust to make a safe take off, if it can be done safely in the event of an engine failure, [with flex and derate as well if you are a Boeing pilot and require it] then you don't need more. That’s what the regulations are for, to ensure a safe take off. They wouldn't certify derated takeoffs as safe if they weren't.

You are saying, that you would take off with full power [and don't forget that twin engine aircraft are generously overpowered to allow for a safe take off on one engine] even though your aircraft was light, minimal fuel and passengers, and the outside temperature decidedly chilly, further more bags of runway? Right, I see, in which case your nose would be pitched up way beyond the required attitude, unless you allowed your speed to increase way beyond the recommended climb out speed, therefore flattening the climb gradient.

Pilots have this issue frequently, even WITH flex and thrust derate combined. They do not then compound the problem by stupidly using maximum thrust.

Pilots do not disregard company policy and take off with full thrust without flex or derate. They'd get sacked for causing unnecessary ware to the engine and wasting company fuel.

There's another aspect you haven't considered, a very important one...

Engine failure is far more likely on full thrust; one of the reasons thrust is derated or flex used whenever possible is that it’s far less likely for an engine to fail on takeoff with less than max thrust.

You're in a bad situation - you're low, you're slow, you've got drag (gear/flap), a high pitch attitude, and a lack of thrust. No point making it worse by reducing that thrust further??

There is certainly a point if you don't require the extra thrust because the reduced thrust you are using is adequate for a one engine takeoff. The charts the pilots refer to, to determine the correct thrust reduction are for that very reason. Safety is paramount; they would not do it if it was dangerous and didn't allow for an engine failure.

Any way, the point is that unless a real world pilot tells us different, they most certainly do not employ your favored technique and ignore thrust reduction in favor of full thrust. Derated thrust is utilized very, very frequently, as is flex, to claim that pilots don't bother to use this function, ignoring their company and Boeing/Airbus policy is wrong.

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:29pm
You might prefer it, but you don't need it. All you need is sufficient thrust to make a safe take off, if it can be done safely in the event of an engine failure, [with flex and derate as well if you are a Boeing pilot and require it] then you don't need more. That’s what the regulations are for, to ensure a safe take off. They wouldn't certify derated takeoffs as safe if they weren't

thats what i was trying to get at, every aircraft is designed to fly safely on one engine at takeoff, if the aircraft is light then using de-rate will be fine
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:34pm
Quote They wouldn't certify derated takeoffs as safe if they weren't

I know, but why make it so you can climb at 300 ft/min, when you could make 500 ft/min? Surely 500 ft/min is safer than 300 ft/min (even though you'd say 300 ft/min is safe because they permit it)?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:52pm
Because the alternative is to take off in your 757 at very light weight like a space rocket, in the most likely scenario that your engine didn't fail.

Take off in a very light aircraft generously overpowered is an issue. You most certainly would not want excessive power, excessive pitch and/or excessive speed. You also would not want the extra risk of engine failure because you are running the engine at full power.

The most likely eventuality, given that engine failure is very rare, is that your engines will perform as required, therefore, you do not want to increase the likely hood of failure, increase the engine ware, increase fuel consumption, increase noise... so that you get a couple of hundred feet per minute extra in the rare instance that an engine fails, especially when you are perfectly safe with derate and an engine failure.

I seem to remember Chris saying that when he flew the 767/757 he almost never took off on full power even at a heavy takeoff weight, there was always some kind of thrust derate.

I'm sure he'll pop along soon and sort you out. Wink

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 3:37pm
Quote Take off in a very light aircraft generously overpowered is an issue. You most certainly would not want excessive power, excessive pitch and/or excessive speed.

Tell that to the guys who love the performance then! Wink  The yaw would be greater initially, but nothing you couldn't handle. Below V1? Easy - pull the power back - asymmetry is no longer a problem. Smile  Above V1 and you should have control authority anyway to deal with it.

Here is a not very well flown example of the difference between Normal TO thrust and de-rated thrust within the confines of the FS flight model.

HERE (21.4 Mb)

Damn rich edit text box.......

It's a big file - but only because they're 115 Mb worth of bitmaps!

fsscr0001.bmp through fsscr007.bmp are of a normal TO, the remainder are of FLEX TO at the assumed temp of 49 degrees.

Note how much more runway is used, and the poor performance getting into the air. It would be a bit tidier if I had proper rudder pedals and wasn't trying to grab screen shots!!

In both cases I pulled the #2 fire handle to shut down the engine, at the same time as I rotated (differential power is very tricky to do with this aircraft, pressing E-1, E-2 etc.. doesn't work well).

EDIT: Before I forget...

My father was saying that on his aircraft (F100), at light weights, V1 and Vr would be at unity, and you could be passing V2 before the wheels left the ground!! He made controller look up when he said "cleared takeoff, call passing 3000 FT". He was stunned when he called - just 45 seconds later! The controller couldn't believe how fast they climbed (>6000 ft/min). He was saying he had to level off like crazy so he didn't bust his cleared altitude of 6000 ft! .

Don't say it isn't possible. Wink

Best regards,
Vulcan.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 5:44pm
Tell that to the guys who love the performance then! Wink  The yaw would be greater initially, but nothing you couldn't handle. Below V1? Easy - pull the power back - asymmetry is no longer a problem. Smile  Above V1 and you should have control authority anyway to deal with it.

You were referring to an airliner, excessive thrust, as I said, is an issue, you have numerous passengers on board who do not want to be pitched up at 30 plus degrees. If you're pulling the power back before V1 then you are derating the take off performance manually aren't you, no different to flex or derate, except you're doing it manually. You are advocating the abandoning of flex and derate in favour of all pilots controlling thrust manually. You are also claiming...

Quote Some RW airlines state to use FLEX at every opportunity, but all the pilots I know throw that rule out the window. They want everything the thing has got to get airborne.

to claim such a thing is ridiculous. Airline pilots do not ignore procedures and always use full thrust. One of your craziest claims ever.

P.S. I nearly forgot, if you check you will see that in the 767 and I believe most Boeing's there's a CON button, the purpose of which is to engage 'maximum continuous thrust'. The question is whether the CON button overrides any thrust derate.

I believe it does, in the 777 for example CON, with two engines running changes the engine thrust limit to the FMC selected thrust.

With only one engine running the 'CON button' changes the thrust limit to maximum continuous thrust.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 10:02pm
Quote to claim such a thing is ridiculous. Airline pilots do not ignore procedures and always use full thrust. One of your craziest claims ever.

Not crazy - fact. I know several RW pilots that do this. They rarely fly with light loads with passengers.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 8:05am
. Which makes a complete mockery of your suggestion. Of course they don't derate if they have no need to.

We wouldn't expect them to derate or use flex with a full load would we. Sleepy

Anyway, that sounds like a complete fabrication to me, I doubt your real world pilots that ignore their airlines procedures actually exist. A good example of why debating this, global warming, or  the topics you aply your extreme paranoia to is a waste of time.

The suggestion was that their airlines tell them to use a flex at every opportunity, they wouldn't tell them to do that if there was never a need to do so. And they wouldn't 'throw that rule out of the window' if it didn't apply to them, they wouldn't have to.

No point in discussing this any further. No idea why you have to make things up, just to win a debate.

As usual you regard experts, the people that know, the intelligent individuals that design these systems as stupid and your crazy ideas right.

Just press the CON button.

And being into the Airbus lately you should know all about TOGA Bump, which increase the thrust by 10%, activated from a little button on the thrust lever.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 10:06am
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

. Which makes a complete mockery of your suggestion. Of course they don't derate if they have no need to.

We wouldn't expect them to derate or use flex with a full load would we. Sleepy

Anyway, that sounds like a complete fabrication to me, I doubt your real world pilots that ignore their airlines procedures actually exist. A good example of why debating this, global warming, or  the topics you aply your extreme paranoia to is a waste of time.

I'm with Martin on this one. In todays fairly hostile culture in the airlines, it would be very unusual for a pilot to ignore SOPs, purely as he'd be completely in the dark as to whether the bloke in the other seat would report him for doing so. There have been a couple of threads on Pprune regarding sackings for what were actually fairly minor braches of company policy in aircraft operation - especially in an aspect which can save the company money; reducing wear and fuel burn, cruise speeds, descent and approach profiles, and of course noise fines etc.

There's another one not mentioned here. A lot is due to noise abatement requirements too.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 10:28am
Don't forget the 'I' Hotty! Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic