This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a Skylake Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 11:08pm
Looks good!

Which PSU are you going for, or are you using your current one? Did you go for 16GB of RAM?

If you're thinking of 4K still, Windows 10 has done a very nice job at scaling. I've not even had to set anything myself.

It's done even a better job then it did on my Mac. Although the Mac is half the size of my current monitor.

Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 3:11pm
Re PSU, I was going to use the one I have now, a relatively new Enermax 1000 watt. I have an old Corsair non-modular 850 watt that I was thinking of installing in the PC I'm giving to my son. Not so sure now though, might buy a new one after all.

The RAM is indeed 16GB.

Big dilemma regarding my monitor. I don't like glare. The monitor I have now has pre-set picture modes, I just hit one of three buttons on the base of the monitor and I'm all set for the desktop or two other game settings. I love this feature.

Trouble is I can't find a quality 1440P monitor with a decent refresh rate that has pre-set picture modes. So I may stick to another BenQ, similar design to mine, with pre-set picture modes, but also has G-Sync. Trouble is it's 1080p and 24 inch... is 1440p really such a big deal compared to 1080p?
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 7:46pm
For me 4K was a no brainer, after being spoilt with my MacBook's high res screen.

How's the build going?

I'm still in a dilemma with my fans. I'll have an update soon. Big smile

EDIT: Meant to say - My eyes will be kept out of the car insurance, come walking dead thread until I've caught up. LOL

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:39am
Stuff all piled up, not built yet. Need enclosure. I'm poshing up the bedroom before building.

Re fans, I have 5 Noctua NF-S12A PWM's on the way today.

Nowhere has the X510 in stock. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 4:19pm
I've just reformatted my SSD to GPT, with the UEFI set to ultra fast boot.

Got the rig booting in under 5 seconds now. Very impressed. I'm actually waiting on the monitor to switch on now, rather than the PC.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 9:21am
Is GPT better then? I know it's newer. I thought it was only an advantage for large hard drives, lots of partitions and multiple OS's.

Not sure what I'll do. MBR for compatibility, or GPT.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:13pm
GPT is more versatile, and writes sectors differently from what I can make out. MBR does 512 bytes, GPT does 4K bytes. Apparently GPT is more reliable due to the way it writes, and of course boots faster with a UEFI compatible motherboard and GPU.

BIOS = MBR
UEFI = MBR or GPT

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 10:32am
I guess GBT will be the way to go for me too then. Case arrives in about a week. I know what I'm doing with the monitor now, and it will keep the dosh down.

What are your temps like by the way, in an ITX?

How's the H100 doing, quiet?

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:31pm
Are you going for a new monitor, or keeping your current one?

The H100i GTX is silent, the radiator fans too. If it wasn't for my front case fan the whole system would be silent while not gaming. The EVGA power supply switches its fan off when the load is low enough, and the GPU switches its fans off when cool enough.

I'm waiting for Noctua to bring out their 200mm fan, I'll put that in the front, and leave the back vents as a passive exhaust. I have the radiator fans pulling air into the case too.

The temps are not too bad.

Idle Average Temperatures:
System - 36C
CPU - 19C (Stock Clocks, Fans 720 RPM)
GPU - 44C (Fans off, under 7% GPU load)
SSD - 31C

Gaming Max Temperatures (4K Max Settings):
System - 60C
CPU - 56C (Stock Clocks - ~70% Load - Fans 880 RPM)
GPU - 84C (Fans spooled to 69%, under 92% GPU load)
SSD - 42C

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:16pm
I've just ran 3D Mark on the system too. The temps didn't peak as high as gaming, although 3D Mark wasn't in 4K.

I'll dabble in a bit of overclocking soon.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:50am
My old system is going to my son, so I have to get a new one. Will just stick to the BenQ I have, but with G-Synch.

Quote CPU - 19C (Stock Clocks, Fans 720 RPM)

That seems low. Is that CPU temp, or core temp? CPU temp is measured from a sensor under the IHS while core temp is measured from within the die. Try it with RealTemp.

Quote I have the radiator fans pulling air into the case too.

That's always the dilemma with AIO's. If they suck into the case through the rad they push hot radiator air into the case. the other way it's warmer case air that passes through the rad. My option would be the later.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:53am
Quote GPU - 84C (Fans spooled to 69%, under 92% GPU load)

Bit warm do you think that?

Safe, but a bit warmer than I thought it would be.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:39pm
Yep still idling at 19C Big smile

I was thinking of having the radiator as an exhaust, but I can't be doing with dust in this build, so I wanted to keep a high pressure.

Yeah I was thinking the GPU was a little toasty, but it isn't too bad considering its got the same clock speed as the Classified, but only the same cooler as the Super Clocked edition. If it was the bog standard reference board, with standard clocks I would have been worried.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 10:04am
I would try and keep the airflow balanced Matt, or a tad higher. Too high and stagnant air can be an issue. Negative pressure will always be the most efficient, but yes, I see how you would want to avoid dust in a Mini ITX.

19 degrees is a very low idle. Nice!

Is there any direct airflow to the graphics card?

That Noctua 200mm fan will be quite something when it's released. I'm almost tempted to stick one in the side of my X510. I'd have to replace the glass with an aluminium panel though.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:39pm
I've got a Noctua NF-A14 PWM on its way, which will up the air flow. I'm not sure when the 200mm will be released, looking online it was meant to be last year, but got delayed because Noctua wasn't happy with it. Got to love them for their precision!

Some people have the front fan in exhaust, which also works well apparently. Although that would mean having to filter the rear vents.

The GPU has its own side vents on the case for ventilation. Of course high pressure in the case would mean the GPU fans are working harder to pull new air in.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 9:34am
This positive or negative case pressure argument has been raging for years. Enthusiasts are generally split 50/50 on the issue. I must admit, I'm not as anti positive as I used to be.

Negative will always be most efficient, thanks to the huge amount of atmospheric pressure pressing down on all of us, but my experiments a while back demonstrated pretty much no difference in cooling. Recall it was a couple of degrees. It's just stagnant pockets of air that would concern me. Again though, we all over cool our machines these days. Sometimes an excessively positive pressure can cause turbulence and compromise a graphics cards cooler. Positive or negative is also misleading I'd say, better to refer to airflow. Thinking about it, even in a positive pressure environment, you would quickly end up with balanced airflow. I mean the enclosure isn't going to expand like a balloon, so within a couple of seconds exhaust must be balanced with intake.

Noctua are a great company, any other company would have released it by now and been done with it. Apparently Noctua weren't happy with the longevity of the bearing when used as a top fan, due to it's orientation.

I'll be very interested to see your OC results. Ever considered delliding?

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 6:09pm
Got my Noctua running on PWM. Absolute silence.

I may need to raise the fan speeds a little though, as my GOU is hitting 85C under load now. Funnily enough though, that's only 65% fan speed utilisation though.

I've not considered delidding, maybe when the CPU is past its sell by.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic