This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a Skylake Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 8:01am
I'll be looking at individual parts. The kits come with fans which I would swap out for Noctua anyway, so would end up wasting money.

The 240mm radiator on the side of the case can't be any thicker than 30mm either, so a custom loop is my best bet.

The replacement Acer S277HK come yesterday. There's IPS glow, but minimal light bleed this time, so not too bad.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 4:07pm
Storage is so confusing at the moment. To be honest, the introduction of M.2 has been shambolic.

From what I understand, the Intel 750 U.2 delivers awesome performance in targeted benchmarks and demanding sequential transfers, but when it comes to big files, applications or games it doesn't load them much faster than a conventional SSD.

Same for M.2.

I may end up just grabbing a Samsung 850 Pro and being done with it.

Quote The Good
•Blisteringly fast sequential read and write performance. No other consumer SSD can touch the 950 Pro in this respect.
•Very high longevity, thanks to V-NAND 3D flash memory technology.
•High read IOPS.

The Bad
•No 1TB model at launch.
•Higher retail pricing than SM951.
•Even with such incredible transfer speeds, you might be hard stretched to notice much difference when using an M.2 drive over a regular 2.5-inch SSD, except for in specific environments with very high IO load.[B/]

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/950-pro-review-samsungs-first-pcie-m-2-nvme-ssd-is-an-absolute-monster/

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 5:29pm
I've been looking at getting two SSD's in Raid. Those Samsung 850 Pro's have a 10 year warranty behind them!

I'm worried about the fail rate of M.2 on the rear of the ITX boards. There's been comments of the chips throttling back too due to over heating on the rear of the boards.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 5:47pm
Actually, I was thinking RAID a few minutes ago.

I don't know about fail rate, but the more I read, the more I realise that we wouldn't notice much of a speed difference in every day use. Applications, games, probably wouldn't notice. I guess Windows would boot faster.

Is it worth the dosh? Probably not I'm thinking now.

The other point regarding mounting on the back of the board, is that if you need to access it, you're screwed.

82c I think Matt, they throttle back.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 12:38am
In that case may as well jump in for a 1TB SSD.

I never felt safe using an SSD alone in a PC, after reading about them all those years ago when I got my 64GB OS drive.

I see they've come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, apparently the Samsung 850 Pro is rated at 40GB read/write per day for its 10 year warranty! To be honest, thinking about it, there's every advantage for them to be more reliable than a HDD, as there's no moving parts.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 8:24am
I saw a topic on Tom's Hardware that suggested minimal improvement with 850 Pro in RAID. There is Samsung's RAPID mode of course, available through the Magician software. Read/Write performance is boosted considerably as a result of processing data on a system level by using free DRAM as a cache. 1.8 times better performance using RAPID mode.

If you do decide to go for M.2, make sure it's bootable with your motherboard.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850pro/overview.html
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 8:26am
Have you considered this guy Matt...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170I-PRO-GAMING/

EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ gets rave reviews in this months Custom PC. Expensive though.

There are the EVGA Hybrid cards of course, part air cooled plus a closed loop cooler for the GPU, reasonable price. What troubles me though is that the rad would have to be located at the front, thus blowing warm radiator air into the enclosure. Probably wouldn't be an issue, but doesn't sit right with me.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 2:14pm
Scan dropped the price on their Classified, down to the same as the FTW. I was tempted, but there's no way it would fit in my case, if I want the lid on.

I've decided on this RAM. It's got nice low profile heatsinks, so shouldn't be too intrusive on an ITX.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-(2x8gb)-corsair-ddr4-vengeance-lpx-red-pc4-25600-(3200)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-16-18-18-36-xmp-

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Have you considered this guy Matt...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170I-PRO-GAMING/

Yep, the price was tempting too. Only issue is the heatsink. The ASRock is looking the best option with the different arrangements of the heatsinks. Seems to be a decent board too.

Just a case of waiting for it to arrive. Currently on back order with Dabs.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 9:06am
All bits ordered, most have arrived.

I've ended up going with an all in one water cooling unit, as I wanted to remove my optical drive bay to make a bit more space. Will be putting it together once the H100i GTX arrives.

Total list:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
RAM: GSkill Trident Z (2x8GB @ 3200MHz)
GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW
PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 850W
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Gaming ITX
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX
Monitor: Acer S277HK

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 3:38pm
Nice!

You went for the Trident Z then Matt? Great choice. I'm undecided whether to go for them or the Ripjaw V's.

I'm not a fan of closed loop coolers to be honest, I still fear leaks. Should cool great though.

Waiting in anticipation of your impressions once built.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 5:09pm
I nearly went for Corsair, but after reading a few reviews, even though they were great, they said the modules were a refresh of their DDR3 line up.

GSkill on the other hand was designed for Skylake, and has the edge when overclocking. Plus it looks amazing.

CPU cooler arriving tomorrow with Amazon Prime. RAM should be delivered at work soon. Will give an update with some photos.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 5:25pm
Yep, I mentioned earlier in the thread how the GSkill kits were designed for Skylake.

Katy's told me I need to get my finger out and start ordering.

Incidentally, half an hour ago, an asteroid the size of 4 football pitches shot past the Earth. 300,000 miles away I believe. We only found out about it 21 days ago.

I'm still going for the NH-D15S.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 9:34pm
Yes! I remember you mentioning the GSkill too. I was put off at first with the raised heat fins, which the Corsair doesn't have. But it wasn't much of an issue with a small water block.

The NH-D15S seems to cool almost on par with the H100i GTX. Only issue for me, is its almost the size of the ITX motherboard.

I did think of getting a res/pump/block combo, all sitting on the CPU, but the cooling wasn't any better than all in ones, supposedly because of the very small res. So the H100i GTX seemed the best option, where I could remove my optical drive tray, and have a clear view of the motherboard.

I may look into a full blown custom loop next year, with a cylinder res, which will mean having to drill a few holes in the bottom of my case. But for now, I just can bring myself to drill holes in something brand new.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 9:17am
Are you aware of the regular maintenance that's required with a full loop? They have to be drained down and flushed on a regular basis I believe.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 11:04pm
I've seen mixed opinions on draining the system. If you get coolant which won't "go off", it should be fine for a couple of years.

The basic distilled water would need changing often though.

I got everything put together now, and I'm so glad I didn't opt for a fully custom water loop. The precision to fit all the components together was down to 0.25mm, and that's not just around the radiator! Shocked

I even has to leave a screw off of a fan as it was interfering with my CPU fan header.

I'll post a few photo's later in the week. I'm just amazed it all fitted.

Next step will be to swap out my corsair front 140mm fan for a nice Noctua. The fans which come with the H100i GTX seem to be pretty silent, so will leave them for now.

After that I'll look at over clocking.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 9:28am
0.25MM!!!

Not a problem for me now, Katy has abandoned her Mini ITX system. She has a MacBook Air on order.

For me, I've found that the UK Newegg has almost all of my components in stock, so I should be able to save quite a bit on shipping.

Which Noctua fans are you considering? The NF-A15 or NF-A14? The A15 has a round frame not sure if that will fit.

I love Noctua fans, I have two NF-F12's in my cupboard and a couple in my system. They're high static pressure for rad's and coolers really. Strictly speaking they aren't designed as case fans... not that it matters in reality.

What's the overclocking like with the ASRock boards?

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 10:41pm
Ah you're saved from the hassle in that case!

The shipping was okay on mine. I don't think I paid any at all.

I'll probably get the A15. I may end up getting a couple of A8 / R8's outside the case on the back too, as the 980Ti is turning the case into a little oven when it kicks in.

I haven't tried out any in depth overclocking yet, I've just switched on the "Auto" OC, which upped the CPU to 4.5GHz. All is stable, but before I really start looking into it, I want to get the airflow under control inside the case. Maybe some different thermal paste too, I think I've used Noctua in the past.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 9:39am
I use Arctic MX4. Thermal Grizzly is about the best non liquid metal paste.

Above that you have to move up Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and Pro. Amazing stuff, but I wouldn't really recommend it for the cooler, just for Delliding really. It's electrically conductive, harder to apply, difficult to remove and knackers aluminium heat sinks.

Noctua NT-H1 is actually great paste. I keep reminding myself to stop rejecting it when I buy a new cooler and to use it. It beats the MX4 I use now. It's 11th in the table below...

http://overclocking.guide/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Tim_test_update1.png

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 4:28pm
The ball is rolling! Got some kit on the way Matt.

I7 6700K
Asus Z170-A
GSkill Ripjaw V
Noctua NH-D15S
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified

Went for the cheaper Z170-A as I don't need the features like Wi-Fi etc.

Also went for the 850 Evo rather than pro to keep the cost down.

Comes tomorrow from Scan. Still need to decide on Monitor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic