This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a Skylake Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 8:58am
Are there any Key E drives that are PCIe? The ones I've seen are SATA, so no faster than a conventional form factor SSD.

Looks like Key E is wifi or bluetooth, so pretty crap really. What on Earth were EVGA up to. Nutters.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 8:58pm
Yeah looking about Key E is only used for communications. Seems crazy on such a high end board.

Still waiting for my Obsidian 250D to arrive. Getting twitchy now. Big smile
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 1:36pm
Has it arrived yet? Bet it's a nice enclosure, Corsair enclosures usually are.

Me, I have an aluminium fetish.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:48pm
Nope still not arrived yet. Photo's to follow when it does.

I'm hoping tomorrow it'll turn up tomorrow.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 12:35pm
Regarding your M.2 on the back of the motherboard heat worry... would cost you more but you could go for Intel's new blisteringly fast 750 series NVMe 2.5 inch PCIe SSD.

20nm MLC NAND, 2200MB/s, 900MB/s, 430k/230k IOPS.

There's a PCIe slot version, but also a 2.5 inch U.2 version. You install the U.2 adapter in the motherboards M.2 slot, and then connect the drive via a cable. You can position the drive anywhere in the case you like.

http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=intel+750

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 12:26am
The case turned up Thursday evening, from Ireland.

I was a bit surprised, I thought these Barclaycard bespoke merchants would be UK based. Not that I'm worried about this, as its not like it'll go wrong.

Ah that's not a bad idea! - I've not looked at the case yet, to properly see how the motherboard tray has been cut. I'll have a fiddle around over the weekend and see how much breathing space the tray gives.

Photo's to follow! Big smile

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:33pm
I've had the Acer S277HK arrive today from Amazon. Not opened it yet.

Still stumped on the motherboard at the moment.

I think I've decided on the EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW. It uses a reference shaped board, but with a custom circuit, so will fit in my case.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 9:34am
Sexy looking monitor that Matt. Reminds me of me.

Looks a great graphics card. Are you not interested in the KINGPIN? Will the KINGPIN fit?

Tricky one the motherboard. Katy's okay with Micro ATX now, so she's jumping up in size so more motherboard choice for her.

With this case, similar to the ITX case but a bit bigger...

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v359/

What are you doing for RAM?

Me thinks either G.Skill Ripjaw V's or Trident Z, both optimised for Skylake.

http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-conquers-4000mhz-speed-barrier-and-releases-new-trident-z-and-ripjaws-v-series-ddr4-memory

Any decisions on CPU cooler?
Power Supply?
Storage?

What about fans? Noctua for me, love them, great cooling, quiet and nice tone.

LED's? You could light up your case ready for Christmas then hang baubles off it.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:28pm
I really like the quality of it. I need to test the screen out to make sure there's no bloopers.

The stand has been getting loads of flack for some reason, partly because of its lack of adjustment, and partly because of the styling. I really like it.

The Kingpin won't fit in my case. I can't have anything larger (higher) than the reference board. The EVGA FTW seems to be the fastest card with reference styling.

Ah, did you talk her into an MATX case? LOL

I'll decide soon on the motherboard. I was going to jump straight into water cooling, but I think I'll do air for a few months at least first. Water can be phase two of the project. Big smile

I'm not sure on RAM at the moment. I've noticed Corsair was doing "Corsair Link", but seems to be more of a fad. Plus that would mean having a majority Corsair components. The GSkill RAM looks pretty good! I may have issues with the heatsink height though.

Power Supply I'm looking at Corsair, possibly the RMi series. Although I must check out EVGA, I've heard they are very good.

Storage I'm undecided. I need to have a proper look at the case. If I take out all of my HDD/SSD bays I could have a nice reservoir and pump down there, but would mean I would have to go M.2.
Or I could use the optical bay for a reservoir, and have a pump below the two SSD drives, if I remove the HDD bays. This option would probably work out better with releasing air too. Ah so many options.

CPU cooler, I was looking at the low profile Noctua. I'll need to check the RAM clearance though when I've chosen my board.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-l9i-low-profile-quiet-cpu-cooler-intel-lga1150-1151-1155-1156

Fan's will probably be Noctua. Running on the motherboard profile, so they can tune right down. The EVGA GPU fans switch off too when not under load, so I'm hoping for a quiet system.

Not sure about LED's yet. I'm not using an optical drive this time, so could shove them in there, with a bit of tinsel. LOL

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:30pm
Here's a few of the Acer S277HK.

Sexy stand...

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 3:28pm
Quote Ah, did you talk her into an MATX case? LOL

Back to MITX now. She's going for the EVGA Stinger and dispensing with M.2. I'll just get her a Samsung 850 Evo I reckon. All might change though.

Quote Power Supply I'm looking at Corsair, possibly the RMi series. Although I must check out EVGA, I've heard they are very good.

Enermax are nice too. Multi rail unless you go for the OC version that I have in my present rig.

Quote CPU cooler, I was looking at the low profile Noctua. I'll need to check the RAM clearance though when I've chosen my board.

You won't be able to overclock much with the guy you linked to, not much surface area.

What about this guy, gets great reviews?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=111&lng=en

Quote The EVGA GPU fans switch off too when not under load

Yes that's right, I believe my Kingpin fans will too.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 10:53pm
I'm not too sure about the Stinger. It seems to be lacking a few features of what cheaper boards are carrying.

I've gone in for the ASRock Gaming ITX. It has an optional U.2 adapter too, if you don't want to use M.2

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/

PSU I went for the EVGA Supernova P2 850. I was amazed by its review, and its got a nice passive fan option to keep the noise down.

http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=220-P2-0850-X2&family=Power%20Supplies&uc=EUR

I'm still a bit stumped with the CPU cooler. The one you've linked to looks very good. I'm not sure whether to go cheap, i.e buy a stock cooler, and don't OC until I go water early next year when a plate is released for EVGA's FTW 980Ti. Or go more expensive i.e. something like the Noctua you linked to, and forget watercooling. Or go ahead with just CPU only watercooling now.

I'm a bit annoyed with my sexy monitor too. I had a good play around with it this evening, and noticed a ton of light bleeding everywhere over it. I expect a bit, but look at the photo below! I'm going to drop Amazon an email. Cry

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 10:43am
bloody hell. May be time to swap the guy. Are you still in time to swap it for a different make/model or will it have to be RMA?

As I say, I have an EVGA 1000 watt OC version, great PSU.

Will research more on the Stinger, after what you've said.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 11:05am
What are ASRock like for reliabilty Matt?
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 3:54pm
Yep still in time. I've asked Amazon for a replacement, if it has the same issues I'll go for a refund, and look at Dell again. I was shocked after the reviews it was getting. People were marking it down on the stand, but couldn't fault the panel. Confused

There's not much online about ASRock. I know they've been around for years, and apparently come off the same production line as ASUS. They seem to be a bit of an underdog, in regards to their brandname in the market. All their boards seem to be getting rave reviews about features on offer.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/anton-shilov/asrock-fatal1ty-z170-gaming-itxac-tiny-gaming-platform-with-8-phase-cpu-vrm/

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 3:17pm
Katy wants this board Matt. Awesome board! Arrival imminent at Scan!

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bl8oE5FMDI
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 11:55pm
Ah yes! Definitely an excellent board there. Was never an option with my case though, as it would mean no radiator on the side of case.

I've ordered my 6700K from Play-Asia.com. The company has very good reviews. Beware their prices doesn't include VAT/Duty. Duty should only be 2.50% if it gets stopped, then standard VAT (and FedEx brokerage fees). A bit of a gamble, but if the worst comes to the worst I'll end up paying just below the UK average. If it slips through customs I'll get a pretty cheap chip.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:32am
Hope that works out cheaper for you then Matt, re the 6700K. It all adds up. For me, I like to order from a minimal number of outlets. Cheaper that way as you keep the dreaded shipping costs down.

The Maximus V111 Impact doesn't have M.2 by the way. JJ the Asus rep commented that they considered it, but it would have had to be mounted on the back which caused issues, there was another technical reason why as well, PCIe lanes I believe.

However, what Asus decided to do was go the whole hog and design the board with an on-board U.2. So if Katy wants super fast storage it'll be an Intel 750 for her. She doesn't need much capacity so it should be affordable.

If you do decide to install a full blown loop, are you intending to buy each component separately or buy one of the available kits?

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 7:00am
Yeah, it'll be a full custom loop. I can either fit a 140mm radiator on the front, or a 240mm on the side. Or both.

The ASRock has an optional U.2 kit which plugs into the M.2 slot too. I'm still not sure what I'm doing with storage yet. M.2 would save space, ecspecially if I'm water cooling.

My EVGA 980 Ti FTW arrived yesterday. Bit of a surprise as Scan has it down as preorder still.

CPU should be arriving Monday. Got my fingers crossed about customs.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 9:21am
No, I mean will you go the usual route and buy each individual part of your loop from somewhere like Chilled PC...

http://chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=64

...or go the kit route from a accompany like XSPC.

http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/

Buying the individual components can be quite a puzzle. Figuring out what's compatible with what.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic