This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Insurance Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Insurance Advice
    Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 10:17pm
Hi All,

I'm hoping there's a few insurance veterans here who can offer a bit of advice for someone making their first claim.

On Monday I had someone plough into the side of my car, after failing to give way.

They've admitted liability, so that part is over.

The confusing part is getting the repair and courtesy car.

I first chose to go through my own insurance, with the other drivers insurance paying direct. However, doing it this way meant I had to go to body repair centre of their choice.

I declined as I wanted to use my main Ford branch to avoid any issues down the line with the cars warranty.

My insurer said this is fine, but meant the paperwork would be handled in a different way. My insurer would pay for the repair, then claim it back from the other drivers insurance company. This is the option I'm going with, as I can use a garage of my choice.

Then comes the courtesy car dilemma. Three places are offering me a car.

First there's my insurance repair people, offering a car whenever I need this. - I then had the other drivers insurance people phone me offering a car, stating that they would only payout £14 per day to my insurance people for a courtesy car, and any more will be payable by me! So to avoid these extra charges, they prompted that I should get a courtesy car direct through themselves (the other drivers insurance people).

Then I had Ford repair offer me a car at £10 insurance per day. The other drivers insurance people said they would be happy to pay this fee if I got an invoice from Ford.

I'm at a loss now as to who I should listen to, and have spent hours on the phone arranging and rearranging. I wouldn't mind if I was at fault, but because I'm not, it feels like I'm still trying to clear up someone else's mess.

If anyone has any advice on handling insurance situations like this, it would be much appreciated.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 9:17am
Hi Matt.

Really sorry to hear about your accident. To be honest, I don't recall any dilemma's like this the last time I had an incident. Mind you it was many years ago. It was just a case of leaving my insurance company to get on with it. I've never required a courtesy car, so hence limited knowledge there.

My instinct would be to let my own insurance company do it all, rather than having the hassle of dealing with a third party. But if, as you say, you would have issues with your warranty unless you used your own Ford Dealer, then yes, this seems the right choice.

For the courtesy car, have you spoken to your own insurance company, regarding the claim that "the other drivers insurance company will only pay out 14 quid and any extra would be paid by you"? Just in case it's nonsense.

Also check your own insurance policy, make sure you still get full cover for a courtesy car. I gather some policies provide reduced cover for a courtesy car. You wouldn't want to find yourself having an accident in the courtesy car and having to fork out big bucks.

How long will the repair take? Can you manage without a courtesy car? I've managed without in the past. I'd catch the train or bus, far easier.

Whatever you choose, as I said, watch out for your own insurance policy re a courtesy car, just make sure it covers you fully. and if it turns out you need additional insurance for a courtesy car, again, watch the cover, third party is no good if you have an accident and it's your fault.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 1:23pm
Read this, it's 2010 but something to consider...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/7844204/Another-episode-of-courtesy-car-scam-Honest-John.html
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:42pm
Thanks for the link Martin. That's exactly what the other drivers insurance guy was telling me.

Basically that there can be occasions where the other insurance approved repair company will drag their heels, so they can make money out of an over priced courtesy car. Also on some occasions offer an overly extravagant courtesy car, and then foot someone with a bill costing a fortune.

I'm pretty sure I done the right thing now going direct to Ford, as I have a lot of leverage, and able to kick up a fuss, threatening my future custom if they take too long.

I'm currently waiting for my insurance to approve the quote which Ford should have sent them by now. I'll give them a chase up tomorrow, and ask how long they can expect the repair to take. I'm guessing a couple of days, judging by the damage.

I'll need a courtesy car for work, as there's no bus stops or trains near by.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 9:26am
That doesn't look too bad to be honest Matt. Yep, my guess would be a couple of days too.

Paul Golding View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:09pm
Couple of days LOL! I had a similar issue with being rear ended. Basically needed the plastic bumper replacing........which took them 2 weeks! I let the third party insurers deal with the lot, they dropped off the courtesy car, collected mine and then swapped them back a couple of weeks later.......and the third party insurer used an Audi dealer too.

A previous bad experience was a non-fault accident with a bus who admitted fault, and was backed by an independent witness. My insurer told me to take (the 3 day old) car back to the dealer and arranged the repair and courtesy car. A week or so later I collected the car, job done...........except when my insurance renewal came through showing a fault accident! Seems the bus driver changed his mind, the insurer (Aviva) never contacted the witness and that was that. There were a series of loud phone calls to get it sorted, which in the end it was.

Bloody car insurance :-(
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 1:47pm
Two weeks is ridiculous for a mere bumper Paul.

Always a minefield car insurance.

So boring every year to get the renewal, knowing they've increased the premium in order to rip you off, and then having to ring round for cheaper quotes, and back to the original insurer and lo and behold they match it.

P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 2:21pm
I agree and assume it's just a way for the dealer to rip off the insurer with the car hire costs......I wish I had the docs still, because I'm sure it was over £100 for the replacement car.

What I couldn't get over was the fact that this was done through the third party insurer, whom I assumed was trying to keep control over the claim to keep costs down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 2:29pm
....always worth looking.

Car collected on the 16/08 and returned on 01/09 after repairs costing £1,549. Replacement vehicle agreement quotes a daily charge of £140, so for 17 days that was £2,380 plus £120 delivery/collection charge.....plus VAT!

Not too sure who's screwing who, but I guess it's us at the end of the day, as we have to pay the premiums.

I've just realised I booked a Mustang convertible for 2 weeks next year in the US and it cost the same per week as the above cost per day!
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 9:37pm
Ouch! £140 per day for a courtesy car!

My repair is still pending approval. Ford did say the insurers can drag things out for weeks. Seems to be a waiting game.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:44pm
I have an update Big smile

Dropped my car off lunch time today, switched it for a purple courtesy car (colour not my choice LOL)

They said it would be 4 working days before mine is ready to collect.

On the way back I sat on the motorway for nearly an hour with the engine off, as there was an accident on the M1. Didn't move an inch.

Everyone else had their engines off too, was like something from The Walking Dead. Utter silence.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 12:29pm
Quote On the way back I sat on the motorway for nearly an hour with the engine off, as there was an accident on the M1. Didn't move an inch.

Everyone else had their engines off too, was like something from The Walking Dead. Utter silence.

Well I hope you had Darrell's crossbow and Michonne's samurai sword handy Matt!

New series starts next week!

Jim View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 6:24pm
Cant wait
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 12:15am
I'm on the first series at the moment. It captured me from the first episode.

They've just found the CDC. Big smile

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 3:09pm
Lots of great episodes ahead then Matt!

You can't beat Game of Thrones though. Awesome TV. Fantastic production values, great in every respects.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 8:11pm
Just an update. Got my car back, was all fixed up in 8 days.

Phoned up the other guy's insurance company, and they sent out a cheque to reimburse me for paying out for the courtesy car.

What a nightmare its been! All sorted now though.

The Waking Dead - Currently at the prison on season 4. They're all coming down with a killer flu, and the walkers are doing their best to bring down the perimeter fence.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:09am
Glad it's finally sorted out Matt.

Oh yes, the killer flu... and the dodgy little girl with a weird fascination for walkers. I wonder where that will lead?

You should check out Vikings too matt. Great series and reasonably accurate in a historical sense. You'll be hooked.

Game of Thrones
Walking dead
Vikings

Superb TV.
Jim View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:25am
Martin,what do you think of season six TWD so far.And Matt it gets better.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:50pm
Well, without giving away any spoilers to Matt... At first I thought "he" was dead. However, did you notice the other guy had fallen on top of him? Reckon he's still alive.

It started slow and I wasn't too enamoured with the first flash back episode, but great now.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 9:30am
Game of Thrones is next on my list. I've watched the first episode twice now, but was interrupted so I kept loosing what was happening.

The Walking Dead is pretty easy to get into in that respect.

The lunatic has reappeared in The Walking Dead now. He's found new people, and is trying a second attempt to take over the prison.

EDIT: Nooo Hershel was one of the best!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic