This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > F27 Friendship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RPM settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Vapor Trail View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Vapor Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPM settings
    Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:11pm
I've been reading a f27 100 manual from the 1970's.

It specifies climbing and cruising at 13,800RPM with a cruise speed just under 180knots at 20,000ft. Do not exceed 200knots (if you do, use the fuel trimmers to adjust your speed, not the RPM).

FL200 is the preferred cruise level - above this places stress on the pressurisation systems while keeping the interior of the aircraft pressured to 8000ft (and definitely don't go above FL250 apparently). If headwinds are encountered, go to a lower flight level, down as far as the minimum cruise level of FL140.

Although the aircraft is capable of more, these figures have been arrived at as part of an airline practice to place minimum stress on the airframe and engines and keep repair costs low.

I have explained this information in more detail at : https://stormtossedclouds.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/fokker-f27-performance-engine-management-flying-tips-chart-for-fsx/
kevinh View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
The Dart engine has a maximum continuous RPM of 15,000. So the manual is correct, it's the markings on the gauge that are wrong. Photos I've seen online of this style of F.27 RPM indicator don't show any red arc on the RPM indicator. They have a red line radial at 15,000 RPM. The green arc in the JF sim looks about right though.

Kevin
Merlin59 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 5:39pm
I think that seems to be a combination of both engine rpm's added together. Silly but that's what it seems like to me. I'm sure somebody knows more about it than me though. Seems if both engines were at 15000 rpm's they would take off and leave the plane! Or blow up and neither is good! I've noticed that reasonable cruise settings would be both engines adding up to this number instead, If that makes sense.
theophile View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:36am
Hello,

Manual says take-off and climb 15000 RPM,cruise 14200 RPM.Yet both these values
are in the redline area of the RPM gauge.Is this correct?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic