This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 through 70
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In defense of a 2D window

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In defense of a 2D window
    Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 10:26pm
After JF made it clear that 2d windows are a thing of the past, I had put the DC8 in the hangar, since I could not fly it IFR without crashing it. Trying to navigate from the main instruments to the autopilot and radios during an approach was simply impossible for me--and I've been flying sims for 20+ years.. Let's remember that these (real)planes were flown by 3 pilots, not one.
Anyway, I finally used FS Panel studio to add a generic dc8 autopilot and NAV1 and NAV2 radios on one 2d window. 
Now I am able to fly it from departure to landing , and it's a fun plane to fly, given that it still requires some manual handling. Some people may argue that this reduces the immersion of a quasi real instrument experience , using strictly a virtual cockpit.  I disagree. When I fly, I know I am flying a desktop airplane.  It's a compromise I made a long time ago when I decided to stop flying real airplanes.

If only JF or Airplane Heavens provided gauges with which to create a 2d panel, I think many of us would be happier choosing our options. Adding a few guages for 2d is not a big deal.

Given the small market, I am still surprised to see how some companies still operate as if their sales were a one time cut and run deal.

I've purchased a number of JF planes, because I like vintage planes. I think the 146 was their last of the best with regard to 3d and 2D panels.

As a final word, I am a great supporter of small developers, and have never expected perfection. This rant is about the already established trend among developers to forget 2D completely. I never liked the 2d instrument panels, but always used 2d windows for my specific gauges needs.
tony
FV
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:22am
If you spend a lot of time with Flight Sim - I'd heartily recommend one of these:

http://www.vrinsightshop.com/shop/step1.php?number=3

That gives you all the knobs and switches you could ever want, and is great for not having to worry about 2d panels, or trying to tweak instruments on the virtual cockpit.  The only other thing aside from FSPanel Studio, would be to create a camera location facing the instrument panel and float off another cockpit view window.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
flyforever View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:24pm
Yes, you're right. But I have a small place, which does not provide me with those options. I think a 2d option is fairly easy for developers, and if we want to get specific, I can only think of the autopilot and radios as necessary items for 2D. 
tony
FV
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic