This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drone pilots warned after close call with jet!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drone pilots warned after close call with jet!
    Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:00am
Seems like drones have become so popular now that the little devils are getting into trouble.

We've had forest fires in the US recently where drones have grounded fir fighting aircraft, collisions with people on the ground and now a jet at Heathrow has a near miss with a drone.

Drone pilots warned after close call with passenger jet

Quote A "near miss" between a passenger jet and a drone has prompted warnings about safe use of the hobby aircraft.

An Airbus A320's wing passed 6m (20ft) below a drone hovering at Heathrow, said the Civil Aviation Authority.

It said drone pilots would face prosecution if they put the safety of other aircraft at risk.

Quote News about the mid-air encounter comes only days after a Lufthansa jet nearly collided with a drone on the approach to Warsaw's international airport.

As much as drones are great fun, could well be some pretty stringent legislation on the way at this rate.

MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:46am
Government are going to have to come up with some legal frameworks and the means to enforce them.  It would seem this technology has snuck up on us and their is a lot to sort out.

What are the publics perception of drones?  Maybe we should call them by a different name because when I think of drone, I think of the kind used in Afghanistan and Iraq and are used in air strikes. Shocked

What do the public think is acceptable?  Should they be allowed to fly over private property and do property owners have the right to bring them down if their not happy or think they are under threat?

Should they be set with GPS kill switches to keep them away from sensitive places like airports or number 10?

How will the laws be enforced?  I remember a South Park episode some time ago where basically the police had their own drones policing the things.  As you can imagine, the whole thing was a bloody mess. LOL

I hope our Government won't do what the Indian Gov has done, and ban them out right.

Welcome to the 'Drone Age.'

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 11:39am
Quote Government are going to have to come up with some legal frameworks and the means to enforce them. It would seem this technology has snuck up on us and their is a lot to sort out.

Yep, it has snuck up on us hasn't it. Of course, we've had remote control helicopters for hobbyists for a long time but they required reasonable skill to operate, range was limited and they were expensive. These guys are cheaper, battery technology has improved and they are more accessible. Katy and me were in Selfridges recently and they had mini drones darting around the shop.

Battery power density is the key. I bought a new hedge trimmer the other day, a posh Bosch version. Thought I'd take a risk and go cordless. Amazing thing. Thanks to it's lithium ion battery pack, it Stays charged for months and deals with a thick hedge with no issues. Same for my Dewault drill, fantastic machine. We can expect greater capability soon and cheaper.

Quote Should they be allowed to fly over private property and do property owners have the right to bring them down if their not happy or think they are under threat?

Should they be set with GPS kill switches to keep them away from sensitive places like airports or number 10?

Maybe we will see a scenario where home owners are allocated an airspace. 50 feet, 100 feet above private property, 200 feet. But I guess as technology improves eavesdropping would still be an issue.

"Bring them down", I can see all manner of issues with that approach.

Kill switches might work in sensitive locations.

MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 12:16pm
Yep, kill switches that just return them to base.  I have images of idiots with guns trying to blow them out of the sky. Ermm

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 12:20pm
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:13pm
Not very funny when the drones start shooting back. Shocked

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 8:46am
All we need now is true AI and we are all doomed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic