This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Tornado GR1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tornado GR1 framerate issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RemcovanR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 11:00am
Rich, can you give an update on the status of people wanting a refund?? I've sent in a trouble ticket, but besides the standard responce, there has been no further reponce whatsoever... I'm about to get a tiny bit pi... off.
Regards, Remco
Dondy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Busterbvi Busterbvi wrote:

Let me put things into perspective with regards to frame rates, My Father is a retired Optician and keen simer and I can tell you that 30 fps is as fast as the human eye can see. Pre digital movies were shot at 27 fps.  Higher frame rates are only used as a measure of performance.  Do yourselves a favour and Lock your Frame rate at 30 to free up your CPU to handle other tasks more efficiently.

I have not got the GR1 yet but will do once this issue is sorted.

Buster.

Buster ... you're busted Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrfkX7J_LVs

You simply can't compare movie fps with gaming fps. And yes FSX/P3D doesn't really need high fps to get a smooth experience like first person shooters but nevertheless more fps will most likely enhance the smooth experience. (Yes you also have to take several other things into account like VSync etc. pp.)
Nick_Cossins View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Cossins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Busterbvi Busterbvi wrote:

Let me put things into perspective with regards to frame rates, My Father is a retired Optician and keen simer and I can tell you that 30 fps is as fast as the human eye can see. Pre digital movies were shot at 27 fps.  Higher frame rates are only used as a measure of performance.  Do yourselves a favour and Lock your Frame rate at 30 to free up your CPU to handle other tasks more efficiently.

I have not got the GR1 yet but will do once this issue is sorted.

Buster.

That's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard. The human eye can see more than 30fps (see below) 

Busterbvi View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busterbvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 2:39pm
I think my post was misunderstood, of course the human eye can physically see frame rates over 30, the point I was trying to make is if you put two monitors side by side , one running FSX at 30 and the other at 60fps I defy you to see any difference.  Mine is locked at 30 and I can fly the CS 737NGX into Heathrow Extreme and it is fluid (I use Kostas tweaks) on a stock 4770k and a old GTX580.  If you want to waste your hard earned on fancy hardware for a few more fps than 30 then go ahead, Nvidia, AMD & Intel  are laughing all the way to the bank.

Anyway, we digress, this thread is about the GR1.
captain vodka View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain vodka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 4:03pm
Id like 'Just Flight' to give evidence of their GR1 running smoothly and highlight exactly what settings they are using in FSX and on what system they are using to benchmark. 

Let see some evidence JF. Now!

I and many other would like is some confidence in both your ability and integrity here and not just 

'we're looking into it.  .blah blah!"

We, as customers have purchased your product in good faith, that it was fit for purpose. Clearly there are significant problems here.  .'challenges' at best politely. Yet, it is still being sold in its current state with no warning?

So, lets see JF come up with some evidence they have sold a product in faith that it is 'fit for purpose'

the fps issues just reported here , let alone other forums aren't exactly the best sales pitch for yourselves ?

Lets get some smiley faces,  some integrity and trust building here please.

awinwey View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awinwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 4:21pm
Hi all,

With SP1, I have 22fps in UK with Orbx, custom Marham scenery and lots of AI traffic. Full model with smoke effects, only backseat panels disabled - P3D v2.5.

Same setup in FSX-Steam gives 24.5 in DirectX9.0C, possibly due to lack of cockpit self-shading

Had the rocking wing effect, traced it to adverse reaction to moderate turbulence. Had this before with other models. Turbulence off and the aircraft flies normally.
Blaunarwal View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaunarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by RemcovanR RemcovanR wrote:

Rich, can you give an update on the status of people wanting a refund?? I've sent in a trouble ticket, but besides the standard responce, there has been no further reponce whatsoever... I'm about to get a tiny bit pi... off.

I wrote a ticket right after release of SP1 and testing it. Today I got an e-mail, that they have cancelled the bought and give me full refund. The product is no longer on my list. 

I never asked for it. They never asked me. I wrote the ticket, to be taken serious, but it seems, the only want to get rid of complaining customers, but not taking me serious. Ouch

I wrote them back, to have the product back. I don't mind the money. I mind the confidence I had in Just Flight. I wonder what will happen now. 
RemcovanR View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RemcovanR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 8:03pm
Blaunarwal, I was waiting for a response on my ticket asking for a full refund. No responce... So I decided to file a complaint through paypal. Within twenty minutes JF responded a I was given my refund. For sure, I wished this product performed well, but I just got fed up with all the waiting and failing service packages. No GR1 for me...
Regards, Remco
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaunarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by RemcovanR RemcovanR wrote:

Blaunarwal, I was waiting for a response on my ticket asking for a full refund. No responce... So I decided to file a complaint through paypal. Within twenty minutes JF responded a I was given my refund. For sure, I wished this product performed well, but I just got fed up with all the waiting and failing service packages. No GR1 for me...

I certainly thought about giving up with the Tornado. What I mind is, they didn't ask me, what I want. Now, after they cancelled my bought, I had to think to ask it back or not. Maybe this is going to be a hangar queen. I don't know. 

Do you know the UKMil Tornado. It's pretty good for freeware. I'm just not sure, if it's really compatible with p3d2.
RemcovanR View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RemcovanR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 9:11pm
I know the freeware UKMIL version. But thats nowhere near to serious Sim. I'm now flying the GR4 by Iris. Used to be payware, and is sort of acceptable. Maybe, JF will have a Tonka flying this X-mas. If reviews are good by the beginning of 2016, I might still buy it. In the meantime I'm enjoying flying the Buccaneer by Flyingstations.
Regards, Remco
Paul Golding View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 12:59am
For anyone that doubts the Tornado can work well in FSX, here's my settings and a few pic's.  I can imagine how frustrating it must be to see some of the low frames quoted in this thread, as well as how frustrating it must be for JF to find the cause of the problem, but as you can see, low frame rates aren't what many (most?) are seeing at all.

captain vodka View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain vodka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 12:31pm
Thanks for the post Paul. Glad your shaving success with this Gr1

Though. .  " low frame rates aren't what many (most?) are seeing at all."

how is that quantified please .  .Many / Most ?

DaveG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:00pm
You didn't show a screen of your traffic settings Paul.
"Most" people I know with the Tornado are getting lousy frame rates.
I can manage to get the frame rate up in the 20s if I turn a lot of settings down, but then it looks pretty bad and the FPS are still not what I's call great, so it's simply not worth using.
I've got a reasonably good system, not cutting edge, but it can handle everything else pretty well.
Loaded up the tutorial flight and was greeted with single figure FPS.

I'm pleased the JF team are still working to improve the Tornado, but I do think these things should have been done months ago during the initial build. I just hope when (if) the TacPack update comes it doesn't make things worse.
cornish123 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cornish123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

Hi all,

Work is continuing on another update for the Tornado. The approach will be two-fold: removing as much fat from the model as possible, and looking into compiling techniques to reduce the size of the MDL. 
I can't give a release date for this, as things rarely ever plan out exactly the way you envision them and all that happens is people get frustrated if this estimated date isn't achieved. 

Rich, it's nice your communicating but your not saying anything. I don't know your position in JF, but somebody with Project Management or Marketing Authority needs to make a statement. There is nothing worse than 'on-going' status updates, it tells me for one there is no plan, or not a realistic one.

I would be happy to wait November, if it there was a plan. In the lack of one I am now considering the refund route, which would be a shame. Sure the developers would appreciate one too.

There are clear flaws on this potentially great product and band-aiding is not going to help any further.

The lack of commercial announcements, fan-fare and independent reviews does not surprise me at this time.

Thanks - I think?

Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaunarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:03pm
Most of us can reach Pauls framerates. Just disable all traffic.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Blaunarwal Blaunarwal wrote:

Most of us can reach Pauls framerates. Just disable all traffic.

Airliner and GA traffic controlled and present via Ultimate Traffic and AI cars, boats etc is turned off. Weather was real weather via Opus.

No tricks involved and my only cfg edits are for himemfix=1, wideview=true and LOD at 6.5. I don't use NI and I haven't tried tweaking for over a year as I see little point in it.

If I fly further south (like Midlands and lower i.e. getting closer to London), I turn the autogen down 1 level to save my sanity.
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by captain vodka captain vodka wrote:

Thanks for the post Paul. Glad your shaving success with this Gr1

Though. .  "<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; line-height: 1.4;"> </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; line-height: 1.4;">low frame rates aren't what many (most?) are seeing at all."</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; line-height: 1.4;">how is that quantified please .  .Many / Most ?</span>
</span>
</span>

My many (most?) comment is based n the assumption that JF must have sold hundred's of these already and the first place I'd expect people to complain is in the forums. I don't see hundreds (or probably not even scores) of people complaining, so assume many are happy.

Remember, those with a problem are generally vocal, whilst those that are happy are not.

Of course, I could just be lucky with this add-on. It's very useable for me, despite running at half the framerate of the Canberra, or for that matter the Aerosoft CRJ.........and that is complex too. What JF need to do, is figure out how best to deal with the massive amount of animation in the GR1 vc......and that's what they're working on.
MadRobbie1 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadRobbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 4:50pm
I think what many people would like to see is the actual PC specs that were used by the developer during final testing prior to release.
Also, what exactly were the FSX graphic settings used by the developer and any add-ons that were possibly active during late pre-release testing.

It must have run OK at some point on someone's PC otherwise it surely wouldn't have been released (would it...?? Or would it?)

So please, someone at JF post the specs and settings of the PC and FSX you used. Its not a big request to make. Let us compare notes.

If you cannot post them, all its going to do is make Tonka users with issues believe even more so that it was a broken donkey right from the word go

After having the Canberra PR9 I really want the Tonka, but I'm not putting my hand in my wallet until I see some respectable results and feedback coming through here. I'm afraid the same feelings exist about the TriStar Professional version despite being a fan of the original release and being a fairly proactive member trying to help others with issues (though that's another forum that's very quiet now).

In the meantime I've gone with the Iris Grob Tutor. It's blimmin'lovely
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by MadRobbie1 MadRobbie1 wrote:

I think what many people would like to see is the actual PC specs that were used by the developer during final testing prior to release.
Also, what exactly were the FSX graphic settings used by the developer and any add-ons that were possibly active during late pre-release testing.

It must have run OK at some point on someone's PC otherwise it surely wouldn't have been released (would it...?? Or would it?)

So please, someone at JF post the specs and settings of the PC and FSX you used. Its not a big request to make. Let us compare notes.

Whilst I understand that you want a specific set of figures for 'the' computer this was tested on, that's an illogical thing to ask for in reality. This wasn't a lot of people doing the work and then it's tested on one computer, it's a lot of people doing the work and testing on their own computers (whatever they may be). I don't think any of us are running top-end systems, but there is no specific "PC and FSX [we] used".

As an example, I run FSX Acceleration on an i7 2600 @3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, a single GTX760 with Win7 64 bit operating system. When I am initially setting up the flight dynamics I get rid of weather programs but other than that I don't alter FSX at all. It runs with MyTraffic, GenX photoscenery, autogen trees and my sliders are fairly well maxed out (I don't have much in the way of boats and cars, but my AI aircraft is at about 50% because MyTraffic generates so much of the stuff!). Later in testing, I use real world weather (REX and Active Sky Next) and fly all around the UK in whatever the weather cares to throw at us.

Other testers have already posted their specs both here and on the thread at Sim Outhouse, they can be found fairly easily with a bit of searching - At no point from early testing to release candidates did frame rates crop up as a concern, I can't remember it even being discussed.

I hope that goes some way towards answering your question
Cheers,
Paul.
pedrodowd View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedrodowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:39pm
A Quick video FPS test. Specs listed in the video.  I think (at least as far as I am concerned with my system) they are nearly there.  Looking forward to the next update.

https://youtu.be/c3FNOQP4HIk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic