This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Tornado GR1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tornado GR1 framerate issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 12:17am
Yes... I tried unlimited last night and then again just now and although unlimited was faster it was only marginally smoother, very jittery/stutters. The Tornado was acceptable in P3D v2, SP2, but its going in the hangar for now. I have several really good combat aircraft working very well and smooth in P3D v3. Its a shame, the Tornado is awesome looking and has potential.
GaryG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 8:31pm
Thanks for the long awaited SP3.
My P3D v3 normally runs at 60 fps very comfortably.
Following the Tornado v3 update which I installed just now P3D runs at only 1.3 to 1.7 fps.
I'm going to uninstall it again and consign it to the bin.
I bought it in June and we've now reached the end of October and 3 service packs later I've still not been able to fly it.
This purchase has been money down the drain.

sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:53pm
Glad Im not alone on this, Its definitely worse in P3D v3 than in v2 and it wasn't the smoothest aircraft even then. I will give credit where credit isdue to Just Flight...the Canberra PR9 is great and smooth as silk in v2 and v3, but the Tornado is a bust for me. Would much rather fly a good Tornado though.
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:53pm
Glad Im not alone on this, Its definitely worse in P3D v3 than in v2 and it wasn't the smoothest aircraft even then. I will give credit where credit is due to Just Flight...the Canberra PR9 is great and smooth as silk in v2 and v3, but the Tornado is a bust for me. Would much rather fly a good Tornado though.
tb10driver View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb10driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 5:20pm
Problem fixed! In FSX anyway, and for me at least.....

I couldn't understand why the Tornado ran perfectly in my FSX Steam Edition, but froze completely when using the standard 'disc' or 'boxed' version.

All to do with the FSX.exe 'Compatibility mode', as explained in this FAQ http://www.justflight.com/supportfaq/canberra-pr9/50f4ef3 from the Canberra forum.

Right-click on your FSX.exe file, click on Properties and choose the Compatibility tab. Untick the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' box.

OK it and all will be well next time you load the GR1.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 10:09am
We've not noticed any performance issues when using the Tornado (SP3) in P3Dv3 and other customers are reporting that its running smoothly.

Can you check that you aren't running it in compatibility mode as per the above post and if you're not, please contact our support team - http://www.justflight.com/support-contact
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Christopher Low View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christopher Low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 3:40pm
I will be installing the Tornado very soon in P3D v3, so I will report back when I have tested it.
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:35am
I just filed a report to the support team concerning my performance issues. I have noticed that not very many of us are reporting this kind of performance issue, which seems odd, but as stated previously I am very happy with the improved performance in P3D v3 with of all of my add-ons except the Tornado (and as I just discovered yesterday, the JF Eurofighter is a slide show). I will add that turning off the HUD on the Tornado seems to make a noticeable improvement, but still not acceptable.
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 3:12am
A little more tweaking and the plane is now flying very smooth in P3D v3. As I did with the initial Tornado release, I just reduced the vc panel gauges pixel size by 1/2 each, except for the HUD, which I just turn off. I believe the HUD is the main performance culprit, then maybe the map. If I turn the HUD off performance improves dramatically, its acceptable, reduce the panel gauges pixel size and it improves even more, even with the map on. HUD off, map off and its smooth flying. This isn't what you want to hear or recommend, but unless there are more significant performance improvements coming in additional service packs, this will work. I can live without the HUD, but as an aside, I would like a better map that shows airports etc. This map only shows terrain, but that's another subject.
Paul Golding View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:54am
You can select the display options like airports and nav aids using the left to screen.
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 10:51pm
I didnt know that
Thanks
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:41am
I just discovered something maybe everyone else knows...the aircraft texture switcher doesnt work from my pc start menu...at least in p3d v3 on my system. I opened the switcher as administrator from inside the vc texture folder in the main Tornado folder. It loaded the textures, now I think Im getting somewhere, so I selected the full cockpit so that I could get airports on the front seat map. My fps were a dismal 11-12, going to full cockpit now drops fps to 5-6. Something is wrong here and I cant figure it out. If it was happening with other aircraft I would say its my system, but my other aircraft have never been better. I give up.
Delta558 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Just Flight FDE Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta558 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 3:04am
Why did you select the full cockpit so you could get the airports on the front seat map? The rear cockpit seems to be the bit that has the worst effect for those that have problems, so leave it unticked (i.e. give yourself the reduced polygon, front cockpit only model). Now go to your top menu bar, click views - instrument panel then select left_TV. That will give you the 2D left tv console, from which you can configure your front seat map display options.
sthenion View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sthenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 3:55am
I was ready to jump but you are talking me back off the ledge. Ive said it before...I can be really slow some times. Thanks!

Fps are still only 11-12, but its fairly smooth. Canberra is a buttery 25-30fps.

UKMIL View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKMIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 12:15pm
I have just purchased this for use in FSX and I cannot use it.  On loading it almost locks up my system to a halt.  it takes minutes to do anything. If I change to another aircraft, which takes ages due to the lock up, FSx works fine again, but as soon as I change to the tornado again, FSX almost ceases to do anything.  Totally unusable.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by UKMIL UKMIL wrote:

I have just purchased this for use in FSX and I cannot use it.  On loading it almost locks up my system to a halt.  it takes minutes to do anything. If I change to another aircraft, which takes ages due to the lock up, FSx works fine again, but as soon as I change to the tornado again, FSX almost ceases to do anything.  Totally unusable.

Hi UKMIL developer,

Although the performance will be reduced when compared to using something like your own Tornado model, there should be no locking up of FSX or very long loading times when switching to/from the aircraft and I'm not aware of anyone else reporting those issues with our Tornado. Its a very complex model and there will therefore of course be a performance hit (as mentioned above I get approx 40-50 FPS in the VC with an i7 @ 3.16Ghz, 1GB graphics card and 8GB RAM) but the aircraft is not known to cause any instability issues and should be usable even on an older PC when running the latest version of the product (SP3).

Please contact our support team so that they can look into why these issues might be occurring: http://www.justflight.com/support-contact

We would advise anyone who might be concerned about performance to try the fully functioning demo (http://www.justflight.com/articles/tornado-gr1-service-pack-3-update-demo-and-tutorial-video) prior to purchasing the product, although we will happily provide a full refund to anyone experiencing issues with the product if they request one.

Thanks
Martyn

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Paul Golding View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 12:37pm
As you'll see from the forums, this is not an issue with users in general so it might be handy to try and figure out why you're having a problem. Maybe providing some info about your PC would help, and a few other questions spring to mind.

Did you install and load the Tornado using the default settings? I.e. have you tried to configure things like rear cockpit and smoke first?

Have you tried loading at a default airport with simple weather and no AI?

I'm not suggesting these things shouldn't be used, I'm happily using ORBX England and Scotland with high setting and real weather etc with no issues at all, so the questions has to be 'what's causing you to have a bad experience?'
mario@mariomotta.it View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario@mariomotta.it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 2:21pm
HI,
i have also thi issue, downloaded and installed the demo version,
it locks completely my FSX, all others addon work without problems.
My system:
I7 3770 OC at 4.6 Ghz
RAM 8 Gb
nvidia 660 ti as vga card
completely unusable Embarrassed
regards
/Mario
mario@mariomotta.it View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mario@mariomotta.it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 2:24pm
HI,
i have the same issue, downloaded and installed the demo verson,
it completely locks my FSX, others addons run with no problem.
I'm sorry i can't use it even i would like.
regards

my rig:
I7 3770 OC at 4.6 Ghz
8 Gb RAM
Nvidia 660 TI as vga card

StormVR6 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormVR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:44pm
With almost 19,000 views, the poor performance of the GR1 is clearly not an isolated case and of huge interest to many people.

My rig (4770K @ 4.6GHz, 980TI, 16GB RAM, etc) runs all of my aircraft (3rd party and stock) within P3Dv3 without any problems whatsoever. The GR1 is the only aircraft in my library that doesn't run well, even when all settings in the Config Tool are set to minimum.

So the question for me is this: why is the Just Flight GR1 Tornado causing a bad experience, when all other aircraft - some equally complex - run fine?

I'm very disappointed that I can't acceptably fly the JF GR1, the audio alone makes me want to take off, land, take off, land.... but when the whole flight is a borderline slideshow, there's no pleasure in it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic