This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro PCI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro PCI
    Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 12:24am
Does any hardware manufacturer give a damn about this?! I bought a TV card today that clearly states on the box that it is Vista Compatible, yet the damn thing doesn't work! I went to the manufacturers website and looked on their forums, and I'm sure as hell not alone!

WMC doesn't see any channels, its own software crashes (despite allegedly working on Vista), the 64-bit drivers are still beta, despite them being 2 YEARS old!!!, but the only glimpse of it working was in a free TV app!!!!

The company in question is Pinnacle, and the product is "PCTV Hybrid Pro PCI". AVOID! Angry

Best regards,
Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 1:10am
Just had a "live chat" with their support department, and over a year later they still do not have it working in the 64-bit version of Vista. To be exact, "it doesn't work in Vista" was what they said (despite the label on the box, but I'm guessing they meant the 64-bit version). It's going back for a refund! Shame, because it looks quite good.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 1:53am
OMG!!! Uninstalling the software has gone and broken Vista! My DVD-ROM drives no longer show up, and hardware manager is saying they've got a problem. There goes tomorrow re-installing this lot!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 2:08pm
I would change this topic title to Pinnacle as I don't think its fair to blame Vista for this. In my experience, Pinnacle products are total garbage. I've had two different products from them now and both have been useless wastes of money, and that was back in XP days.
The products were a TV tuner and a VHS converted adaptor.
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 3:44pm
So they`ve not quite reached the pinnacle of technology.....?  Wink

Reider
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 3:52pm
Angry No.

I'm sure they've broken the Trades Description Act somewhere. It says "Certified for Windows Vista" but I'm seriously doubting whether it is as it doesn't work, and their tech support says it doesn't, too.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 4:00pm
Get this Vulcan, I have one and it works in Vista from what I can remember:

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Old Flapper View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 4:04pm
I must admit, I've never been able to get anything from Pinnacle to work either. Thumbs%20Down
Everyone's entitled to my opinions
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 4:36pm
Yes Pinnacle never easy to get going and their support site confusing..always a problem with their stuff through personal experience.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

OMG!!! Uninstalling the software has gone and broken Vista! My DVD-ROM drives no longer show up, and hardware manager is saying they've got a problem. There goes tomorrow re-installing this lot!

System Restore is your friend... you haven't disabled System Restore have you...Wink
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 7:31pm
Nice one Techno!

System Restore has saved my bacon more times than I can remember. One of the best features in XP... or Vista.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 7:38pm
Yep, I installed something (can't remember what now) on my laptop a few months ago (Vista). Uninstalled it a few hours later to find that it had taken the network connections out, couldn't connect at all.

Opened system restore and went back to the restore point before the the installation. Bobs your uncle, networking fine again...
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 12:36am
Quote System Restore is your friend... you haven't disabled System Restore have you...

Embarrassed

(Were you really expecting any other answer?)

A quick dive into the Registry fixed the problem, and everything is fine again.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 1:27pm

Star Glad all it well.

[whisper]do you have system restore turned back on now...?Wink[/whisper]
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 7:46pm
Thanks! Cool

[whisper]No[/whisper]. Geek

Best regards,
Vulcan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic